What are the tests required to diagnose psoriasis?

Posted Sun 21 Jan 2024 10.31 by windowstoweb

Hey, What wre the tests required to diagnose psoriasis additional to clinical and physical examination? I have been diagnosed just by looking at my feet condition. Best Regards

Posted Sun 21 Jan 2024 11.00 by Acrazydoglady

it's purely by examining your skin, there are no tests that I'm aware of

Posted Sun 21 Jan 2024 11.41 by Nelly

Hi I had psoriasis on the soles of my feet, but my doctor miss diagnosed it for 12months treating it as athletes foot, it wasn't until I paid private to see a consultant dermatologist that he diagnosed it as psoriasis, then I had PUVA light treatment at the hospital and now I am 90% clear, well worth seeing a dermatologist if you can afford it. Good luck.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 2024 15.14 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

They might sometimes do a biopsy but in general it's just a consultation and talking about symptoms. A precise diagnosis isn't essential because the treatment is similar for most skin conditions.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 2024 15.17 by windowstoweb

@kiloran thanks, you are right the treatment is similar to other skin conditions. I have been gone through Intralesional injection at affected site with some steroids. And i have been prescribed Apremilast. What’s best treatment going on in market? Haha

Posted Mon 22 Jan 2024 15.28 by kiloran
From Lichen Planus to Plaque Psoriasis to Palmoplantar and Nail psoriasis - newly diagnosed 2023

Apremilast apparently good for Palmoplantar and psoriatic arthritis. Next step after those is biological therapy.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 2024 16.48 by windowstoweb

@Acrazydoglady thanks dear, they just did what you have said.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 2024 16.51 by windowstoweb

@kiloran I have psoriasis on feet, and have just started getting on genital area. Should I look for another dermatalogist to get second opinion? What is biological therapy? and in your case which you are taking right now? I want to know just for information, so I could guide my dermatalogist if she/he misses something. Best Regards.

Posted Mon 22 Jan 2024 18.12 by windowstoweb

@Nelly what is the cost of PUVA light treatment?

Posted Tue 23 Jan 2024 11.44 by Nelly

Hi I had the light treatment done at the hospital on the NHS so there is no cost, it's just the long waiting list. I got my treatment 3months after paying to see a private dermatologist, but we'll worth it. I finished the treatment in late October last year and it hasn't come back as yet.

Posted Tue 23 Jan 2024 12.55 by windowstoweb

@Nelly dear Pakistan is much expensive place for such treatments. Even few private hospitals have this facility

Posted Tue 23 Jan 2024 14.17 by Nelly

I can only think to purchase a UVB lamp, I think some hospitals use these for psoriasis, the lamps are not as intense as PUVA but could be worth exploring. Good luck 👍

To take part, sign in or register with us