What exactly are the risks with a hair transplant when having scalp psoriasis?

Posted Tue 20 Feb 2024 18.17 by Applewater

I have read different opinions over the internet regarding of if you can get a hair transplant when having scalp psoriasis and the answer seams to be yes as long as you have it under control at the moment you are doing the operation(and if someone wants to confirm if thats true or not please go ahead?) However I would like to attack the problem from a different perspective. What exactly are the risks with a hair transplant when having scalp psoriasis? is it just a temporary flareup at the place where you did the transplant or are we talking about permanent flareups/damage? Also, is there a risk that the hair transplant itself will be uneffective/less effective due to the scalp psoriasis? thank you in advance!

Posted Wed 21 Feb 2024 09.57 by Jamie_89

I am in the same boat, I have been looking into getting a hair transplant but picking a date and getting it under control seems a long way off. I would be very interested to hear people's experiences with this. Would the multiple insertions and cuts cause a flare up etc?

Posted Thu 22 Feb 2024 09.52 by Jamie_89

Worth a read https://www.ishrs-htforum.org/content/22/4/124

Posted Thu 22 Feb 2024 18.51 by Applewater (edited Thu 22 Feb 2024 18.53 by Applewater)

Thank you Jamie, I have actually read it before and Im having a hard time interpreting it. For example; "Most surgeons defer surgical procedures on active psoriatic skin because they would like to avoid incising the affected skin for fear of aggravating the psoriatic lesions (Koebnerization)" What does "active psoriatic skin" mean? I always have symptoms at one spot of my scalp but when using ointments it all dissappears during that period. During one of these ointments-periods where I am symptom free, do I then have "active psoriatic skin" or not? because its there (literally?) under the surface. And also 2, am I safe to think that there is no risk of Koebnerization if its done on a place of my scalp where I never have any symptoms?

Posted Fri 23 Feb 2024 10.16 by Acrazydoglady (edited Fri 23 Feb 2024 10.30 by Acrazydoglady)

My original Koebner comment was aimed at anyone with a pre-existing Koebner phenomenon that might possibly be unaware this is what they actually have... not that this would be triggered with any operation as per the link shared - which made me delete my post... If anyone gets psoriasis where they've had previous or new injuries - be aware of the Koebner phenomenon - as this is me, but I don't see many post about it, but it's meant to be quite common. So I've been specifically advised to always tell anyone if I need an operation..... If helpful, my Koebner phenomenon kicked off with 2 insect bites which became psoriasis & then it targeted other areas where I'd had injuries (bites, cuts, sunburn etc), a patch on my scalp where my head got whacked in a car accident, and also new areas where I've had current injuries. So have you been specifically advised to alert anyone about Koebner? When I had psoriasis back in early 2000s I was never advised to tell anyone about Koebner phenomenon (as I didn't get it via this route back then).

To take part, sign in or register with us