Just to get it out of my head

Posted Tue 26 Mar 2024 07.39 by Dollydot

This is just a small rant to get out of my head all the niggles. So I’ve had plaque psoriasis for 46 years and just recently had a flare up, adding to the upper arms, all legs and torso. Against my better judgement I called my GP to ask for a referral. The GP prescribed the usual steroid cream, soap free shower cream and emollient. I explained that I would prefer not to use a steroid cream as the minute I stop using it will come back as much or more than before, and that the Dovonex makes me itch (my psoriasis hasn’t been itchy for years). The GP replied that she would not give me a referral until I had tried using the creams for three weeks. I was and still am angry about this. It seems that still they go for the cheapest and easiest route. Do they not understand or care that this cruel disease has affected all of my adult life? Things haven’t changed as 30 odd years ago the same thing happened and my then GP said the waiting list was at least 6 months to see dermatologist. I paid privately and saw dermatologist the same week. Even though my psoriasis wasn’t as bad as it is now she prescribed me Methotrexate straight away for an 8 week course. Why do we have to keep going down the same route with creams that haven’t changed in many years. They do not work. So anyway that’s my niggles out of my head. No need to reply, I just needed to get it out x

Posted Tue 26 Mar 2024 08.30 by richardmphillips

Have you asked to try Enstilar foam? It’s not for everyone, but after years of using dovobet, I found it revolutionary. Your GP can prescribe it.

1 Posted Sat 20 Apr 2024 12.28 by Sal

I can’t blame you for the rant, gp’s just don’t want to look at the causes, just the management with steroids. I use Soratinex when I have a flare up. richardmphillips is right for many people, enstillar does work but you need to understand it could make things worse. It did for me,I treated my legs but ended up completely covered so it wasn’t for me. Soratinex is all natural, it is a real faff and it is expensive but if you do it for 6 to8 weeks, twice a day, you could be lucky like me and become pretty clear. I am clear and now use it once a week for management. I have just started using Polytar shampoo for my scalp and have had super results.

Posted Sun 21 Apr 2024 11.11 by OhNo_NotAgain?

@Sal: to be fair to GPs, researchers around the world have not been able to pinpoint causes of psoriasis, mainly only triggers - which do not seem the same for everybody.

Posted Sun 21 Apr 2024 11.28 by Sal

Totally agree and we know it is incurable. I think I get overloaded from Utube and pray something one day will target the cause. I think it’s good we can share experiences. I try anything and sometimes it works and sometimes not so I hope we continue to give options to each other. I have just started turmeric chai at night and not sure if it should help psoriasis but it really aids sleep.

Posted Fri 26 Apr 2024 20.21 by Dollydot

Thanks for your words of advice/help. There are still things I don’t understand with this disease. As I’ve said I’ve had it a long long time. Through from late 20’s to early 50’s I had high powered jobs, bad marriages , drank alcohol every day, very poor diet (mostly toast with white bread 😂) and smoker to boot. My psoriasis has never been as bad as it is now and yet I now have a calm relaxing life with a wonderful man. I eat a mostly balanced diet, hardly drink and retired early so no stresses. My GP did send me a referral, waiting time 4 months. I did say to her that usually I get a flare up if I have an infection of some kind but she didn’t even follow that up. I guess she thinks she’s done her job.

Posted Sat 27 Apr 2024 06.48 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Dollydot: with respect, what do you expect your GP to do with the information that you usually get a flare-up if you have an infection? To be fair to your GP your GP is not a researcher. There is a well known or well documented connection between an infection such as strep throat and psoriasis. The exact mechanism does not appear to be well understood yet, as far as I know.

Posted Sat 27 Apr 2024 08.47 by Dollydot

Thanks OhNo_NotAgain. I do not think my GP is a researcher but I just thought they have a duty of care, to respond with some type of concern for my wellbeing. Following your words I think I’ll keep my thoughts to myself and not bother to post again

Posted Sat 27 Apr 2024 10.04 by Sal

Dollydot, please don’t stop posting, the whole idea of the forum is so we can share treatments, ideas, supplements etc with fellow sufferers. I find it valuable to find out what people try and what does and doesn’t work. I have posted many times about my success with Soratinex but not sure if anyone else has tried it. I showed it to my gp who hadn’t heard of it, but agreed it is all natural so if you want to move from the usual steroid treatment s, it might be something for you to try. We all know different things work for different people. It sounds like you are having a bad time of it so even if you just want to rant, people will listen.

To take part, sign in or register with us