children with psoriasis

Posted Mon 13 Apr 2020 18.16 by Ljane1980

Hi Tina It is so heartbreaking for them to see, I hope your son gets a dermatology appointment soon. I had some progress today with the GP, we had a telephone consultation and he was happy to prescribe more of the protopic for her face which has worked so well. He has also prescribed some dovonex ointment for the rest of her body and added in some Synalar gel for her scalp. I’m hoping these will keep us going until we can see the dermatologist again. It might be possible to ask the GP to prescribe something similar in the interim until your appointment, The other thing which I read today and realised we haven’t been doing, is to moisturise to prevent dryness. We had just been using the prescribed ointment so today I brought some Balmonds natural moisturiser from Holland and Barrett, it has zero parabens/perfumes so hopefully won’t sting or irritate. I think this is a really hard age for them, still children but entering their adolescent years, I’m trying to be as relaxed as possible about it so it doesn’t worry her but inside I’m so worried for her. I really hope your son gets seen soon and you have a diagnosis so he can start the right treatment, I think of all the months wasted thinking it was pityriosis and that it would go on it’s own.... so frustrating. Good luck and please let us know how you get on Laura

Posted Mon 13 Apr 2020 20.18 by Tina77

Thank you Laura. It really is a tough time for them with secondary school coming soon and being on lockdown at home. We are booked for a remote gp consultation on Friday and will ask about the oniments and gels suggested. Hope your daughter continues to improve. Really appreciate your comments, helps with my worries! Take care Tina

Posted Mon 13 Apr 2020 20.43 by JanePoppy

Hi Laura and Tina I sent photos of our daughters skin to the GP, who then wanted to see her. As her skin got no better within a couple of days, I sent photos to my daughters dermatologist’s secretary and we got an appointment the same week. This was only a couple of weeks ago. It obviously will depend on the area and this current situation won’t be help but it may be worth a try. We have been told to moisturise 30 minutes before applying the ointment. I have to say I feel really worried again tonight as my daughters skin appears to be getting worse on her face, neck and torso. It’s so frustrating not knowing what causes it or why it is getting worse when using the creams. I so hope all our children improve soon. Jane

Posted Wed 6 May 2020 13.09 by Ljane1980

Hi Everyone I thought I would update on my daughters progress with P. I have done so much reading about this...maybe too much. The wait now for a dermatology review is about 10 months, but i am sure this will be longer as we are still in the midst of a pandemic. Our GP is ok, doing his best and prescribed us Dovonex for her body and to add in Synalar gel for her scalp. After about 2-3 weeks of use with Sebco, Capasal and synalar on her scalp, we were not really seeing any improvement. This routine was taking upto 2.5 hours a night as we were descaling her scalp with a small soft comb aswell, but the plagues were there again in the morning. the Sebco and the Coal tar smells bad as well, its all i could smell for weeks. After doing some reading I decided to stop most of the chemicals and the synalar gel which i think is a steroid. For the last few nights we have been using coconut oil - leaving this on for an hour or so, now we are using a new shampoo called Alphosyl which is medicated but much less harsh and doesn't smell awful. We have seen a small improvement with this combination, less plaques are developing overnight and her scalp is not as red. The areas on her torso seem to come and go, I dont really know if Dovonex is working or if they are just easing on their own. We also use a moisturiser from Holland and Barrett which is paraben free....I think it is called Balmonds? Anyway we decided to bite the bullet and we have ordered a handheld UVB unit from much better skin. This arrived today. It has a comb attachment so we can use on her scalp. Keeping everything crossed for this to work for her. I will keep you all updated on the progress. I hope all your children are doing well and you are finding the things that work for you Laura

Posted Wed 6 May 2020 21.42 by Tina77

Hi Laura Thanks for the update, hope you get positive results from the uvb light. I've been looking a buying one too! We went private and had a really good video consultation with a pediatric dermatologist. She diagnosed pityriasis rosea which has then triggered guttate psoriasis, scalp and plaque a psoriasis. We have been given a treatment plan which consists of aveeno for moisturising, betnovate for his body, eumovate for his face and neck and cocois and betnovate scalp for his scalp. After a week and a half we have seen huge improvements. His confidence is coming back each day. Heres to getting them both in the best place ready for September. All the best Tina

Posted Wed 6 May 2020 23.19 by JanePoppy

Hi ladies, I hope the treatments work for your children. My daughter’s psoriasis has continued to get worse since using the steroid creams. I have now weaned her off as did not want to use steroid creams especially as they were not working. Her skin is so inflamed and dry. I am now trying to see if we can improve through diet as have read so much about fantastic results of people who are clear having followed a strict healthy diet. Of course, it is much more difficult to expect a child to be so disciplined. We are also trying Dead Sea salt baths and moisturising with coconut oil. Fingers crossed they all improve soon. Best Wishes. Jane

Posted Thu 7 May 2020 11.06 by Ljane1980

Thats great news Tina, such a weight off your mind knowing that he is feeling more confident and that you have found something that works for you. Your dermatologist sounds very good. fingers crossed you continue to see good effects with your treatment. Will you have a follow up with the same dermatologist or are you going to switch to NHS now you have a diagnosis. We are considering going back to the private dermatologist we saw initially for a review. My husband thinks that I have read too much and that i am not giving anything a long enough chance to work. Now we have invested in the UV light I think we will give it a good 2-3 months to see if theres any improvement before we think about paying again. we used the light for the first time last night, very good and specific instructions and takes much less time thatn our usual routine. It says to exfoliate and moisturise well afterwards so thats our plan at the moment. Fingers crossed for everybody. Keep us updated on your progress.

Posted Thu 7 May 2020 11.10 by Ljane1980

Hi JanePoppy I have heard many people saying the same things about the steriod creams, i'm sorry this didnt work for you. I would be really interested to hear about what changes you are making to your daughters diet, I have heard lots about Blueberries being very beneficial. We are also using salts in the bath to exfoliate and coconut oil and have seen some improvements with them so fingers crossed for you. Its always hard to know if its anything we are doing or if they are just clearing on their own, I wish more was known about it. It also seems different things work for different people, but I like to hear what everyone else has been trying and if you are anything like me, you will try pretty much anything :-) Good luck, I really hope you start to see some improvement soon. Keep us posted. Laura

To take part, sign in or register with us