Help

Posted Thu 6 Oct 2016 17.34 by rubydavies
15, psoriasis warrior since I was 5. Face, arms, legs, back, scalp

Honestly I am getting sick of my psoriasis. I am 15 years old, currently doing my GCSE's, and have had psoriasis for 10 years now. I am currently having the worst flare up I've ever had but recently my psoriasis has been getting better. Although, this wasn't the case when I first got my condition in year one. I guess you could say I was a popular child, many friends and was a very confident and outgoing person. Then I got two small spots on my face which eventually turned into larger ones which spread all over my body, head to foot. I was misdiagnosed multiple times with illnesses such as lupus. At this age you can imagine I wasn't too bothered about it other than it was itchy. I itched and itched and made myself bleed and then the psoriasis would scab up and become black. I remember this one time I went to a Christmas party with tons of children and me bein the outgoing child I was went to play with everyone but no one would come near me, parents would tell their children to stay away from me, even school friends avoided me. It upset me a lot and I cried for so long afterwards. I was bullied from year two to year four by someone I used to call my best friend. Now, even in year eleven I am stared at and laughed at and called ugly. I just wanna know your stories and how you cope with these kind of situations?

Posted Thu 6 Oct 2016 22.58 by Grizzly Bear
Got P in 1990 when serving in forces. Got diagnosed with PA late early this year. Using Stelara 90 mg.

Hello Ruby. Sorry to read that you are having a flare up and had to have put up with so much crap, you poor young lady you. The only suggestion I can make is ask your parents to make you an appointment with your GP. Then, tell him/her to refer you to a dermatologist. If they fob you off, be polite but firm and demand that you see a dermatologist, then get some treatment. Now the tuff part, those of us that have psoriasis on our faces will get stared at but, do what I do, stare back at them and think to yourself this........yeah, look at me, YOU COULD BE NEXT it getting what I have so get lost !!! Most importantly Ruby, try not to let it get you down, OK ? There are so many creams, lotions, potions etc available for us that have this horrible skin problem, I hope that you get some to help you. Good luck Ruby. GB.

Posted Fri 7 Oct 2016 17.48 by bexxy

aw sweetheart im so sorry to hear your story :( I got psoriasis at 13, it started gradually and they gave my light treatment which really helped for up to 6 months at a time, I had uva and uvb. Would your dermatologist consider this ? Its not treatments you can get lots of times but it may help and give you some relief. Also maybe you could get some help from a therapist to talk about how it makes you feel. I have eating disorders and I think a lot of that stems from low self esteem from psoriasis. Thinking of you xxxx

Posted Fri 7 Oct 2016 20.52 by rubydavies

Hi GB, I was refered to a dermatologist not long ago and i have been waiting for a letter since but it has not yet come. As for the lotions and potions, none that I have work for me anymore but I am 'too young' for stronger creams. Thankyou so much and I will try to not let this horrible condition get the better of me All the best, Ruby. Hi Bexxy, I have not yet seen a dermatologist so I wouldn't know. But when I was able to comprehend what my skin condition was at around 10 years of age I asked my doctor (who moved surgeries not long after) if I could have a light therapy trial, and he said not until I was 18 because until then you cannot have light therapy as your skin is still developing? I hope someone does help you with your eating disorder, it is very important that you do. I have had a close friend nearly die from having anorexia not too long ago.. she was in her hospital for around 6-7 months and is back in school now and getting better but it's important you seek help! I have low self esteem because of my psoriasis too, I might consider a therapist as this may help. Thinking of you immensely, Ruby xx

Posted Sat 8 Oct 2016 10.55 by Grizzly Bear
Got P in 1990 when serving in forces. Got diagnosed with PA late early this year. Using Stelara 90 mg.

Good morning Ruby. Because you are young, your skin and body are still growing/developing and strong creams that have steroids in would have adverse effects on it. GP's now hand out Epimax cream as the main moisturiser which is ok i suppose but i have noticed that it doesn't last long and that you have to keep plastering your face etc so i don't bother with it anymore. I'm a big fan of Bionia raw virgin coconut oil.. I only use a very small amount on my face and the good thing is, my skin stays moist for ages and the plaques, if i have any, are soon gone. Another good moisturiser for the face is something called Bio-oil. You can buy that from Tesco's or most chemist's. Again, you don't need loads to put on your face, just a very small amount, that's all. You didn't mention how long you have been waiting to see a dermatologist Ruby but from what i have had to put up with and hearing what other fellow P sufferers are going through, i'd say a while. If it is 3 months that you have been waiting Ruby, get your Mum or Dad to ask your GP to chase it up, i know i do for my daughter because i don't like seeing her suffer. Take care and good luck Ruby GB ("")ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ("")

Posted Sun 9 Oct 2016 18.55 by rubydavies

Hello GB, I am not too sure myself how long I have been waiting, but it is a while. I currently use protopic 0.03 which does no longer work for me, I'm not technically meant to use it, because I am a child, but I was prescribed by the NHS because of how bad my P got. I also used to use diprobase but this doesn't work either. My only treatment that works currently is my Capasal Therapuetic Shampoo which does heavens for my scalp P and my hair! I am going to try the bio-oil for a week to see if this could help me also. Best wishes, Ruby :)

Posted Mon 10 Oct 2016 09.19 by Grizzly Bear

Morning Ruby. If you are not sure how long you've been waiting to see a derm doc, i would ask your parents to get your GP to chase it up ASAP. You can't wait for ever and also now, it's the time of year that we P sufferers suffer badly as the weather changes to much cooler times. I have never heard of protopic 0.03. Mind you, there are so many treatments out there now compared to when i first got P back in 1990. Fingers crossed that you get to see a derm doc real soon Ruby. Kind regards GB ("")ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ("")

Posted Wed 19 Oct 2016 22.35 by Idkwhy

Hi guys! I'm only 19 and I've had P since I was 12. It started all over my scalp, which cleared around 2 years ago. However one particular area, on my left connected onto my forehead, has been damaged to the point where no psoriasis is there now but a large patch of red/pink skin. And having dark skin it really stands out. I have been struggling to tie my hair up for the past 2 years because you can see the burn/scar. Also since then I had started to get it behind my ear. Was given steroid treatment from gp just recently which would calm it for a few days, but now it has spread to the back of my neck and I can't even wear clothes that show edge of my shoulders or neck. Also I have been putting off the hairdressers for a year now as even tho my hair is so healthy and scalp too, I feel embarrassed that they will see my P. If I showed you photos you would feel disgusted. Some days are so bad I get so depressed and wish it would all go away. I get upset when I see girls with ponytails, I know it sounds ridiculous but I always was told I had amazing hair throughout my childhood. I remember at school having the longest thickest hair, I'd have every hairstyle you can think of. But now, I have a middle parting so I cover the scar at the front, and just always have it down. I've gotten to the point where even at home, my family don't see my hair up, because I feel embarrassed and upset. I feel like nothing works! I hate going to the derm because they give me silly creams that end up making P worse. I've read somewhere about light therapy. Does anyone know about this? Where I can get it/Try it??? HELP please Btw my name is Nitasha

Posted Thu 20 Oct 2016 12.33 by bexxy

Hi Natasha so sorry to hear what you are going through. Have you asked your dermatologist about camaflague make up for you scar ? Puva light therapy is very effective for about 6 months but its usually 3 times a week at hospital. I had the treatment about 20 yrs ago so forgive me if im not up to date on it ! I had to take pills to sensitize me to the light and had to wear uva protective sun glasses for 24hrs. The treatment starts as a minute or so then builds up. It worked well but you are only allowed a certain amount of sessions in your life time. There is also uvb treatments that i didnt find effective. Your dermatologist should be able to authorise these treatments xx

Posted Fri 21 Oct 2016 15.27 by Idkwhy

I actually just cover it with makeup but it doesn't do much of a job because I've lost hair there too, and you can see the pink scalp :( I guess I need to get referees from gp to dermo and see what happens. I honestly don't mind going in to hospital a few times a week as long as it clears or somewhat! Thanks xx

Posted Mon 24 Oct 2016 17.04 by Jody T

Ruby, you mentioned you're doing your GCSE's - I was studying taking professional exams up until my late 30's and I always found that at the start of a course or towards the exams, my condition got considerably worse, even if I didn't feel particularly stressed, Find time to chill out and do something you love doing. Hope this helps. Nitasha - I have always used TGel shampoo for my scalp psoriasis. I do find it helps. I once made the point of telling a new hairdresser that I had psoriasis after she questioned my "dandruff" - complete change of attitude followed and I had no issues after that (plus she turned out to be a good hairdresser).

To take part, sign in or register with us