Methotrexate not working, really down.

Posted Mon 14 Nov 2016 15.42 by Lou85uk

Hi, Im new here! Ive had PSA for the last 6 years and have always been on sulfasalazine until recently. I had a baby 18 months ago and my PSA got worse, sulfasalazine stopped being as effective for me. I started Methotrexate 4 months ago on 15mg and i am the worst ive ever been. So far it has not done a thing for me, i have 5 major joints effected. Im getting through the day with 3x strong ibruprofen. They blood esr has shot up to 65 since being on the new medication. I just dont think Methotrexate is working for me and wondered if anybody has being through something similar. Im at the hospital Friday, they want to up the dose and change to M injections. Thanks for reading. Lou x

Posted Sun 4 Dec 2016 12.05 by Jeff

Hi Lou You're not alone, I have been on methotrexate for over a year now, to be honest it hasn't done much for me either, I'm also on secinkumumab and that has gone some way to reducing my skin but both drugs have not made a lot of difference for pain. I have widespread psoriasis and arthritis, had both knees and hips replaced, need ankle and foot fusion next and recently started to get it in my hands, wrists and elbows, which is very painful. As for methotrexate I'm not sure it's an effective treatment for me, (that's not to say it works for others) if you are going to see your doctor soon there are other biological drugs coming through now and from my personal experience can be very effective for skin but not so much for the pain side, having said that there are some drugs that are not so good for skin but good for the arthritic pain, i.e. Humira. Don't be afraid to ask your doc/consultant after all they want the most effective way to treat you. I described my arthritis, but not all have the same as me, were are all different. Hope this helps Jeff

Posted Wed 28 Dec 2016 16.57 by rrj

New here too - had PA diagnosed 12 years ago. Mine cleared up in pregnancy, then came back and became much worse. Methotrexate didn't work for me, nor did sulfasalazine on its own. My Consultant managed to get me on Humira. After 5 years it looks like I've developed antibodies to Humira, so have now been prescribed a different biologic. I'm waiting for it to be confirmed and its arrival. Hope your Consultant has been able to provide an alternative to you.

Posted Sat 31 Dec 2016 12.17 by Jeff

Hi all I take methotrexate and doesn't do much. I started on the enbrel study.. then another study drug tofacitinib, had to stop that because I had to have an operation down to psa. Total knee replacement, I have the full set now 2 knees and 2 hips replaced my ankles and foot bones news fusing, also got in in elbows wrists and hands which are very active and peinful, I now take methotrexate, biological sekincunumab or something like that. Also take tramadol and still get lots of pain. I find it makes me very tired. The biological work but as you said your body becomes immune to them so there's always more on study. Ask your dermatologist see if they need anybody for study drugs, don't ask you don't get in my book. Jeff

Posted Sat 7 Jan 2017 07.54 by Claireg36

I am the same, I've been on methotrexate since September and if anything I think my skin and joints have got worse! I am going back to see the consultant as don't want to be on such a strong medication for nothing! It is getting me down too, I was so hopeful it would work!

Posted Sat 7 Jan 2017 08.33 by Jeff

Hi claireg36 Sorry to hear your methotrexate is not helping. Seems quite common, it doesn't do much for me either, are you taking it for pain, skin or both? Next time you see your consultant ask if you can go on a biologic medicine, most are injections and have varying results, one is good for pain or one is better for skin. Humira is one that sort of middle of the road I think. If you don't ask you don't get eh. Hope you see an improvement soon Jeff

To take part, sign in or register with us