Methotrexate

Posted Thu 24 Nov 2016 17.50 by jdowling1987

Hi there, Does anyone have any opinion on taking methotrexate? I had an appt with a dermatologist who said that m was the best way to manage p. I'm just concerned about starting on a drug like this, could it just be opening the doors to other health issues. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted Fri 25 Nov 2016 08.53 by Suzie
I have suffered for around 7 years and have it covering my back and front.

Hi, I'v been on Methotrexate for 2 years now and get on well with it and have had no side affects. I have blood tests every 2 months and so far so good! x

Posted Fri 25 Nov 2016 09.12 by jdowling1987

Hi, thanks for the reply. Do you find it manages the psoriasis well?

Posted Wed 7 Dec 2016 06.19 by BPS10

I was on MTX twice, it does help clear up my psoriasis but it also made me lose a lot of head hair. Thankfully I had copious amounts of hair to lose. It didn't get rid of hair anywhere else :-( which was a shame. Knowing that MTX is a very low chemo drug, for some it works well and they can stay on it for a while but for some it's only a short term solution.

Posted Wed 7 Dec 2016 15.25 by VWAPLady
Retired ex university employee now focused on writing, photography and oil painting.

M did not work for me in conjunction with PUVA treatment. But I am pleased it worked for some users. I lost hair too but I used a 'Hairmax' appliance to help hair to regrow. (It worked for me but do not use if you have P in your scalp).

Posted Thu 8 Dec 2016 23.15 by Weedeeso

Hi I have been taking methotrexate for just under a year, tried sulphasalazine first but had a really bad skin reaction, so was wary about trying metho but I have been fortunate my condition has stabilised and after a few years of constant pain before being diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, I'm doing pretty good with only occasional flare ups, I have also changed my diet might be worth taking a look at that, good luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us