Mis-diagnosed

Posted Wed 14 Dec 2016 06.45 by Rachel170

I have just been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis (literally a week ago) and after reading lots of things online I can't help but wonder if I've been given this as a diagnosis just to "shut me up"! My reasons for coming to this conclusion: I've has psoriasis since early childhood. The sites say PA comes on within 10 years of developing psoriasis or at times with no diagnosis of any kind of psoriasis. I've had it at least 35 years now! I have no swelling/redness/warmth in joints of any kind. I have never had the typical "sausage like" fingers or toes! The rheumatologist doesn't seem bothered and has put me on 1 or 2 250 Naproxen as required, no more than twice a day. So the only reason I have been given this diagnosis is because I've had pain in my lower back and other joints for long enough that my GP said I needed to be referred. X-ray was clear. MRI was clear except a mild amount of inflammation in my "lower lumbar spine". Oh and I have skin psoriasis. So what do I do now? Obviously I'm in pain daily and want to get to the bottom of it. But with this diagnosis, I don't know how to get them to look at other options. Any help on how to challenge this would be gratefully received.

Posted Tue 10 Jan 2017 22.59 by Hector23

Sometimes the swellings come later. I was in agony for years before I actually got Achilles tendinitis, and swollen toes. I've had skin problems for thirty years. I've only just been diagnosed with PsA!

Posted Wed 25 Jan 2017 17.16 by puddykat

Hi Rachel Same here. No swelling etc. Had pain everyday for around 6-7 years. X-rays are okay. Current consultant says no meds, but naproxen if required. Original consultant never examined me. I wonder about my diagnosis but I don't want to dwell on it too much.

Posted Sat 4 Mar 2017 15.04 by skroez
Everyday life, from my skin to my joints and muscles. weight gain from meds. water retention in legs. Tiredness, Self esteem, and anxiety.

Hi, Sorry about this bit of a moan, But I wish I knew where I stood with Doctors and rheumatologists. I've had serve Psoriasis now since my teens, I'm 43 now. For over 10 years I've been in pain Bloods came back that showed that there's, arthritis factors in my bloods. I've been in pain mainly in my lower back, my hips, knees on both sides sometimes more on one side etc. It's got worse over the years, my finger and toe nails are pitted and growing thick and discolored, brittle etc. I find walking really painful. I'm tired and fall asleep a lot. I used to be very active with a passion since I was 11 that kept me busy painting graffiti murals, art etc. I've had to give that up. & so on I'm on pain meds from my doctor. But had an app with rheumatologist yesterday, He asked a student to take notes on my condition, He went out of the room, Don't get me wrong the student was very nice, But when she was done he came back in the room, asked her some questions on my answers, then checked my hands and spine, asked me to come back into the room where he told me he don't think I have arthritis and should do more exercise, I agree I need to exercise, It would be helpful to lose a few stone, I really don't eat bad things nor eat much, in fact my IBS stops me eating bad things lol.. but back to what he said, I'm not faking this, its so painful. It's he dismissed me due to a lack of swelling. I've had different opinions from each of the different Rheumatologist I've seen over the years. I just don't think they take you seriously sometimes, I've got to spk to my doctor now, Also the last Rheumatologist thought it was PSa But I only seen her during a double appointment with dermatology last year. Sorry for the moanfest, Just I'd like some closure. Thanks Kevin.

To take part, sign in or register with us