The future and coping with PA

Posted Thu 5 Jan 2017 11.10 by sarahwallace

Hi all, I have been diagnosed now for 8 years, I started initially with Psoriasis which was quite mild in my early 20's, however I started experiencing pain in my left ring finger shortly after my daughter was born which spread into the majority of my fingers within a short space of time, after trying sulfasalazine and experiencing negative side affects I was given Methotrexate which worked brilliant, it also pretty much cleared my Psoriasis too. Last year I had a car accident and suffered a life threatening injury resulting in a stroke, after this it seems that my body has rejected the methotrexate and the PA has progressed to the majority of my joints, I have been taking Arcoxia and Co-codamol to deal with the pain, however it barely takes the edge off. I now take 7.5mg of Methotrexate, plus the pain relief, however flare ups are happening quite often and result in me needing an injection to manage, at my next Rheum appointment I'm hoping they consider me for the injections which you administer yourself. Any additional pain I experience I put it down to the PA, recently this has occurred quite severely in both shoulders which makes it difficult to sleep as I am a side sleeper, also the ball of my foot and one toe which looks like it is fractured. I never thought that at 43 I would end up in so much pain when I started with this 8 years ago, I worry about the future and how much worse this will get. Has anyone experienced their PA spreading throughout their joints like I have? Does anyone else suffer with their shoulders and feet/toes? Also has anyone tried the 'inject yourself' pain relief? Your feedback would be greatly received, many thanks Sarah.

Posted Sun 26 Feb 2017 20.18 by soph1990
I have suffered terrible for the last 14 years

Hi my name is Sophie and I was diagnosed with psa about years ago now. I am only 26 years old. I haven't tried the inject your self pain relief but am on various different things. I just wanted to say I experience pain in my shoulders feet and toes and to be honest everywhere else. I don't usually post on things like this but I have an idea of what you are experiencing x

Posted Sun 26 Feb 2017 20.19 by soph1990

2 years ago

Posted Mon 27 Feb 2017 14.20 by sarahwallace

Hi Sophie, thanks for the comment, its a nightmare having to cope with this, especially at such a young age, I've started the Benapali injections and so far so good, I'm hopeful this will continue to work. I hope you are ok and you are getting what you need to help with the pain x

Posted Mon 27 Feb 2017 14.26 by soph1990

It really is I just wanted you to know that your not alone in the struggle. I am at the moment but it doesn't seem to be helping. Ooh that's a new one i take methotrexate dyhydrocodine meloxicam sulfasalasine and inflixamab plus a steroid injection every 3 to 6 months there's lots if options out there x

Posted Mon 27 Feb 2017 19.04 by sarahwallace

I think the Benapali was a last resort for me, the sulfasalazine didn't suit me and it turned out neither did the methotrexate, 4 weeks in and this seems to be keeping things at bay touch wood.....I normally have a steroid injection too every few months to tackle flare ups. It is good to know that there's others who have to deal with this and sharing stories gives a bit of hope!!?? x

Posted Fri 7 Sep 2018 01.31 by Mfairman4
Hi I’m mel I’ve had psoriasis for over 30 years and also psoriatic arthritis’s

Hi my name is Melissa I’ve had pa for over 20 years and as the years have gone by it has spread to nearly all my joints I’m in constant pain and have stiffness all the time . Recently it has gone to my shoulders which are so painful I sleep on my side so that doesn’t help and now I can barely left my arms at all . I’m now on morphine and arcoxia for the pain with added co codamol when needed but still I never get totally pain free and am always tired and lack any energy I’m at present looking into trying cbd oil .

To take part, sign in or register with us