My story - need advice on Humira (Adalimumab)

Posted Fri 20 Jan 2017 16.14 by oz

Hi all, im new on the forums. 22 years old. Have had psoriasis for 2 years now, and was at its worst last march where my WHOLE body was horribly riddled in plaques covered including scalp, a patch on my forehead, arms, legs, hands and feet. Began with red patches in my hands and feet. Started of with ointments/creams prescribed by GP. (hydrocortisone, dovobet, mometasone, emollients). They helped with redness and inflammation but there was no significant improvement. Gradually the psoriasis started to spread to my scalp trunk and legs, and I was referred to the dermatologist. With the dermatologist I was put on stronger cortesteroids (dermovate) and UV therapy for about 2 months, (increasing exposure each week). I saw significant improvement, trunk and legs beginning to clear though hands and feet still had patches. After awhile began to develop new patches on my arms and was put off UV treatment. I was then put on Methotrexate for the following 3 months, ending in march 2016 which had no effect at all, in fact my psoriasis became even more widespread and stubborn which I was told to be because of the sudden stop in the UV treatment. After moving dermatologist I was put on ciclosporin (Deximune) 200mg a day for 3 months, next 275mg for the following 3 months. Significant overall improvement. Feet clear, hands clear, arms clear, front torso clear, scalp clear. But only slight improvement on patches on my legs and back. Now the doctor feels I can benefit from Humira (Adalimumab) because I have been on these pills for too long. So since Dec 2016 my ciclosporin dose was decreased to 250mg (125 in the morning, 125 at night). Products I still use are betacap keeps scalp under control (highly recommend not oily like dovobet and soothes itching straight away), Cetraben emollient for regular moisturising and bathing and mometasone furoate cream. Can anyone tell me about their experience with Humira? I am due to start in 2 months after respiratory system and other checks are clear.

Posted Sun 15 Oct 2017 10.23 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

Thanks for sharing your story, oz. It was particularly interesting for me as I'm currently considering asking for biologics (of which I've read that Humira is usually the first prescribed) and was wondering what happens in the lead up to getting it prescribed, e.g. what needs to have been tried already. A few of the oldest threads in this forum are about people's experiences of using Humira, so you might find those to be useful; see pages 35 onwards.

To take part, sign in or register with us