Hair problems with psoriasis of the scalp

Posted Wed 20 Feb 2013 19.53 by BarbaraC
Itchy scalp and scalp covered with a covering of white. It has affected the texture of my hair. It is finer and hasn't grown much in the las

My hair had totally changed texture and it has also stopped growing. Has anyone had this problem? I have had the condition for about 9 months and my hair is getting unmanageable.

Posted Thu 21 Feb 2013 22.09 by jrowlands51
Losing self confidence as patches of psoriasis increase and get bigger. In my fifties and started with it just before my 50th birthday.

I have p quite bad in my hair, behind the ears and in one ear. I have found my hair hasn't stopped growing at all, and I have a thick head of hair fortunately to hide the flakey patches. Sometimes my grand daughter will tell me I have sawdust in my hair (we have 2 rabbits and she thinks it's from their hutch! Oh the innocence of kids!). Have you tried Etrivex shampoo from your gp. I use it occasionally when the psoriasis is getting out of hand, just to settle things down a bit, but nothing ever solves the issue completely. My gp was reluctant to prescribe this as she said it was "strong steroid" but when I went to see a dermatologist I was told it was nothing of the sort and quite safe to use.

Posted Tue 19 Mar 2013 12.35 by saintsfan (edited Wed 22 May 2013 12.19 by saintsfan)

For once it's pleasing to read a gp is more on the ball than a dermatologist. Etrivex contains a strong steroid and should be used cautiously. Follow instructions, only use it for a short period (few months tops) and stop using it by withdrawing bit by bit rather than just stop using it when time is up. As with any strong steroid, stopping abruptly can lead to severe rebound.

Posted Thu 18 Apr 2013 01.45 by Mufina
Hi, I have a psoriasis nearly for 17 years now, since I was 11 year old kid. It's mostlu in my scalp and ears, elbow, but when it gets wors

Hi Barbara and All, Just discovered this website and it's so amazing to know you are not alone and lots to share and try. I do find a same problem with texture, not growing. Do you have also very dry skin when it's a time when it gets worse? I personally found very good and not expensive shampoo by Neutrogena for psoriasis and itchy scalp and as it's not recommended to use more then six weeks I do combine it with solid shampoo from Lush Soak and Float, I was a bit skeptic of using a solid bar for a hair but it leaves lovely hair and make nice foam. Obviously it does not have to work for everyone, but thought I will share! Also when it gets worse I do practice enema every day for a week in the morning and then once a month or after some occasion I ate more or had unbalanced diet for example after Christmas celebrations.

Posted Thu 15 May 2014 16.34 by GrandmaDeb
behind the ears and base of the skelp.

Liquid vitamin D has helped me. I have psoriasis behind my ears and at the base of my hair line. That's the only place I've ever had it. Got it when I was around 4 or 5 yrs old. It went away in my teen years and came back a few years ago (I'm 61 now). Anyway I read that vitamin D and the sun is good for psoriasis. I don't ingest the vitamin. I buy the gel caps and prick it with a pin and put it on my affected skelp. It helps a lot with the itch and build up. Only use sulfate free shampoo! Aveeno, Yes To Carrots and Burts Bees are good shampoos that don't make me itch. The last 2 are 99% natural. Oh and putting 1 part apple cider vinegar in 3 parts water and dabbing the area with a cotton ball helps but it burns until it dries.

Posted Tue 11 Nov 2014 17.17 by Jonesyk
Scalp psoriasis has resulted in 70% hair loss

Hi, I started with psoriasis on my scalp around 6 months ago. In September I started wearing a wig as 70% of my hair has fallen out. My GP didn't really do much, kept fobbing me off with shampoos which didn't do it. In the end I had to get very assertive and insist on a referral to a dermatologist. She has given me Sebco which has got rid of all the scabs and prescribed etrivex shampoo. I Haven't tried this yet as my scalp is raw and I think it's going to sting! Make sure you get your GP to refer you to a dermatologist asap before your hair gets worse!

Posted Thu 15 Jan 2015 17.34 by JediJedi
Yes

Hi, I have a pure herbal remedy that has worked for me and lots of others. It works 100% for most people. Its in pure herbal form without chemicals and you will see results within three days. Where are you located? I can send you a sample. Send email to info@jedijedi.com

Posted Tue 8 Sep 2015 06.33 by dougie
i have it all over my body

hi i recently changed my diet realising that the cure must come from the inside,so i avoid anything with wheat in it you have to be careful because wheat is in nearly everything i also gave up cows milk and use almond milk it tastes realy nice and keeps for longer i believe cows milk is for cows and if you check it out on youtube you will give it up too.i purchased a nutri bullet and have a smoothie every day i have banana,carrot,frozen fruits and spinach green vegtables are very good for the skin you can buy them from tesco or any other supermarket and i do not drink tap water i think that flouride is poison i have to wash in it bit if i had a choice i wouldnt so now i will explain the changes since the diet first i am 62 i have psoriasis or should i say had because it is definately fading and i think will eventualy go altogether im also about 17 stone and this diet has a nice side afect it also helps to loose weight because most foods that contain wheat are fattening i also have C.O.P.D and if i can bring my weight down that will help my breathing i hope you give it a try you have nothing to lose let me know how your doing god bless dougie

To take part, sign in or register with us