Chip fat hair! HELP!

Posted Wed 1 Feb 2017 09.01 by Sarah H

Hi there. I've recently been diagnosed with severe scalp psoriasis and been prescribed Enstilar foam which I apply at night and coal tar shampoo which I use in the shower in the morning. My hair is very very matted afterwards and I feel like I'm tearing a comb through my hair and causing g more damage. Once my hair dries naturally it is then caked in grease particularly at the back of my head. Obviously it looks horrid and I am very conscious of it. Anybody else had similar experiences and can offer suggestions please?

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 12.03 by Izzie

I sincerely feel for you. I know the problem well. I have no miracle solution to offer, except try another treatment, there's plenty. I tried almost everything and there are some not so terrible and not harming your hair. Sea salt water is very good for P and then just use a genuine shampoo (like lubex) and once a week you do a hydrating mask on your hair. And try not to wash them too often it if you can. But we're all different and is good for one is not for another. Anyway the best thing is to talk about it with your dermatologist and let know that this treatment is old like hell and that there are some a bit better in 2017! Good luck!

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 12.42 by Sarah H

Thank you I don't have a dermatologist just under the GP but will persevere! Thanks for replying and your advice.

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 12.58 by Izzie

YW. But try to go the dermatologist asap ok? Meanwhile you can do it funny like I've done for years, I braided my hair African style and wore wigs etc. and it was quiet cool and didn't damaged more ;)

Posted Mon 6 Feb 2017 11.27 by kroos12 (edited Mon 6 Feb 2017 11.27 by kroos12)

lemon juice applied to the hair will make it smell and feel citrus fresh. you can either squeeze a lemon directly on to your barnet or use on of those squeezy lemon things. https://menhair.style see here the complete method.!

Posted Mon 6 Feb 2017 13.01 by Sarah H

Does that help the psoriasis or just make the hair smell nice? Can't help but think it might sting somewhat ! PrepAred to try anything if it helps thank you

Posted Mon 13 Feb 2017 13.37 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

Coal tar will make your hair an utter mess, and it WILL take more than one shampoo to get it out, I end up washing mine about 4 or 5 times and sometimes again the next morning to get rid of the smell :( I've found Vosene to be a good alternative (you can get it in pound stores so it's a good cheapy medicated back up), also Aveeno's shampoo is very mild and moisturising. But honestly, your hair is only greasy because you haven't washed out all the coal tar so just lather and repeat with a cheap shampoo and you should see a difference. I would recommend you google 'Loyon scalp psoriasis'- they have a new product which is really helping loosen the scales of my scalp P, it's much less greasy than coal tar solutions and none of the smell, huge plus!

Posted Tue 14 Feb 2017 07.39 by macfab52
I've had psoriasis for over 30 years and have been through various NHS treatments.

As a userror of various coal tar shampoos over the decades I now have the following routines which has made a difference. Once a week I use a coal terms shampoo followed by a rinse of a mineral conditioner from the Dead Sea. The next wash is with E45 shampoo which seems to get my hair very clean. I then repeat the process with coal tar. I'm also thinking of trying Sorion hair products as I have tried the cream with a measure of success.

Posted Tue 14 Feb 2017 17.35 by gingermonkey
For several years...drives me mad but won't bring me down.

Have you tried diprosalic to get your scalp under control? Loses potency after a while i've found, but might help you avoid the ointment and coal tar type products that just gunk you up.

Posted Tue 14 Feb 2017 19.16 by Bee

I feel so sorry for you. I to have scalp psoriasis and use dovonex gel every night. Coal tar is just so disgusting I couldnt use it. I have found that washing 3 x with vosene and then a good conditioner does the trick.....until the next morning, a real grind ! Good luck I hope you can change your treatment to make life easier. xx

Posted Sat 18 Feb 2017 09.28 by Emilie

I've posted this elsewhere on the forum but I use Dovobet gel on most of my scalp (and for far too long periods of time it would appear...) and don't have issues at all with my hair being totally normal after one shampoo only if I follow this routine: rub clear shampoo of whatever brand (I use Herbal essence because it is always on sale, but make sure it isn't the creamy type) onto your greasy patches before the shower. Make sure it lathers up a little (you will be using a handful of the stuff yes), and wash off. No need to leave it in for ages or anything, just rub it in enough so it has started turning white from the lathering and presto. It adds 2 mins to my morning prep time and I have never had to leave the house with my hair looking and feeling manky since. Now I only have to worry about the visible bits of psoriasis on my body and wearing black.... I hope this helps!

Posted Sun 26 Feb 2017 15.14 by Amyj153

When i have used dovobet gel for my scalp I use capasal shampoo to get rid of the greasiness for around 5 mins then use my normal shampoo and conditioner and never had to repeat.

Posted Tue 20 Apr 2021 18.36 by AJAYCEE64
Scalp covered in psoriasis just past hairline. Scalp on elbows and arms

I have suffered from scalp psoriasis for over 45 years and the best shampoo to get scalp applications out of your hair is home bargains copy of TGel shampoo. It's very cheap and seems to clear my scalp better than the original TGel which is very expensive!

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 22.05 by Rosie99

NO MORE ENSTILAR GREASE!!!! Hi, I hope people are still reading these comments.... I have been using enstilar for about 4 months now and its the only instantly soothing treatment I have been prescribed. My only problem, like so many other people, is the greasy hair! I put up with it for months, washed my hair 7 to 8 times in the shower only to dry it and get straight back in and start washing again and still, greasy hair. I got so fed up one evening and dumped a bag of plain flour in my hair hoping it would absorb the grease! I massaged it in but it didn't feel like the grease was gone but... I washed my hair normally, 2 shampoos and 1 condition and NO GREASE! So I thought maybe baby powder (talcum powder) would work so the next time I used enstilar I massaged baby powder into the grease on my scalp and hair for about 5 minutes, washed my hair normally and no grease. I've been using baby powder before every hair wash after using enstilar and I no longer have greasy hair. I really hope this helps some of you!!!

Posted Fri 22 Apr 2022 04.06 by Mary1968

Best thing to do is....apply at night and wash out in the morning = No more chip hair during the day

Posted Wed 27 Apr 2022 13.53 by Jobran

My 15 year old daughter had a bad flare up on her scalp at the moment she refuses to apply her treatment as it makes her hair greasy iv tried everything product and read up daily on new treatments. To be honest time and commitment to using your products is all that really works. The only thing I found really helps is sunshine which living in Scotland we don’t get much. Iv just bought a uv comb and I’m going to try this.

Posted Sat 30 Apr 2022 00.35 by Mary1968

@Jobran Most people in the UK area of the world, are deficient in Vitamin D Maybe your daughter could start to take a supplement of VitD3 - especially in the winter months I use to have terrible scalp psoriasis and bad body coverage. Whilst the body cleared up with diet and a combination of supplements (VitD3 being one of them), the scalp was slower to clear. However, clear it eventually did. There are quite a few articles on PubMed in regards to the association between psoriasis and Vitamin D deficiency. If your daughter is refusing the treatment on her scalp (and who can blame her at that age), then a spray in her mouth or liquid drops or a tablet daily, should be easy enough.

Posted Sat 30 Apr 2022 17.08 by Jobran

Thanks il give it a try I do give her a multi vitamin everyday but not sure if she is getting enough vitamin D

Posted Fri 12 Aug 2022 22.35 by michmo

i had bad scalp psoriasis when i was young.in time it went away.i still have psoriasis but not in my scalp.

To take part, sign in or register with us