Methotrexate not working

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 09.58 by Shell1209

Hi all, I have had psoriasis since I was 21, now 24. I have tried most ointments dovonex, dovobet, calcipotrol etc... it started on my legs, elbows and scalp. It has now dissapeared off my legs and now is my stomach elbow and scalp. I have been on methotrexate since June last year, whilst after a month my scalp only cleared up, it is now back and it doesn't seem to be working at all. It's still pretty bad on my stomach and scalp, elbows aren't so bad. Any ideas? Recommendations

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 10.03 by Shell1209

It effects my nails too

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 12.41 by Izzie (edited Sat 4 Feb 2017 12.44 by Izzie )

It's very personal but I hate methotrexate cause of the side effects on me vs benefits. But there are some people who are very happy with it when needed and others who stayed ok for decades. So no one can really help you as it's a risky drug and only you should decide along with the doctors what to do. Is it just a passing phase ? It can happen. Or is it better to stop it and try something else. Maybe a new genetic treatment. But In any case you should really see quickly your dermatologist.

Posted Sat 4 Feb 2017 16.10 by Shell1209

Thanks Izzie, I'm due back on the 03/03/17 so will be asking to come off I think. The first time I had crappy side effects so I came off it but now they have put me back on it and increased my dosage. I have been feeling very tired a lot lately too. So I think your right. Any hints and tips on shampoos or creams is welcome! So fed up of it :(! Xx

Posted Wed 15 Feb 2017 23.22 by Statto

Hi I've been on methotrexate for two years like yourself worked great until a few weeks ago. Dermatologist increased my dose as he told me my body is absorbing less of the drug, whilst this might work I feel it will only be short term again. Like Lizzie has said it is definitely down to the individual where some people swear by it. When mine flares up quite bad I use diprosalic cream at night and it really seems to help. Anything to ease the pain.

Posted Fri 17 Feb 2017 08.03 by Shell1209

Thank you. My consultant upped my dosage too but no joy, I'm now starting to feel exhausted a day after the tablet, struggling to keep my eyes open come the evening. I have since tried Aldi coconut oil - WOW. whilst the psoriasis hasn't yet fully dissapeared from my stomach, it's less angry and flakey after using jus twice. Just my scalp & nails to try and find something for now! I'm thinking of stopping my methotrexate I fear that it's doing me no good at such a young age. Thanks again guys

To take part, sign in or register with us