Dovonex

Posted Mon 13 Feb 2017 21.55 by Gemma100

Recently was diagnosed with psoriasis. I have been prescribed dovonex. I have been using it for three weeks and all I have found that my plaques are just getting redder and redder. I went back to the doctor a week ago to get advice but the doctor couldn't, even be bothered to examine me and just said carry on using it. I am now concerned it is even redder by now. As anyone had experience using this ointment and had a similar experience and carried on using it. My understanding is it can cause the skin to go redder then carry on using it and then they start to heal. But at the moment they just seem to be getting more inflamed. The problem is I can,t get another appointment now till the beginning of march.

Posted Thu 16 Feb 2017 11.01 by Toodlesoodles

Are you using a moisturiser along with the Dovonex? If not then I'd recommend it. Aveeno, Cetraban or coconut oil are good choices. Dovonex isn't a steroid cream so the results aren't going to be anywhere near as quick as something like Dovobet (which I'm surprised wasn't prescribed to you initially) so you'll have to be patient. It could take a few weeks. Really though you should get your GP to refer you on to a dermatologist. Some doctors are absolutely clueless about psoriasis and are pretty blase about it. You need help from an expert that can work with you to get the best treatment possible.

Posted Thu 16 Feb 2017 14.45 by Gemma100

Many thanks for getting back to me. In reply, yes I have been using a moisturiser, called Cetraben, as you mentioned above. I apply this 3 or 4 times a day if possible. Since my first post ,I have seen another doctor, who actually went to the trouble of examining me. He saw the reaction which had happened and wasn't too happy that two other doctors told me to continue using it. Some of the plaques are nearly blood red. I must be one of those people that have a very bad reaction to it. He has now prescribed me dovobet, as you mentioned, To has he says to "calm the redness down a bit." . i have been told to see him again in three weeks and make sure I do not use the dovobet any longer, because of it being a strong steroid and I could get a rebound effect. He is then going to discuss further treatments. I must admit when I saw the first doctor I wasn't,too happy. It had took me two weeks to get an appointment and as you can imagine I had been itching like mad, and with not knowing what was going on, scratching as well, which didn't he!p. Then after all that waiting ,all see did was glance at a smallish plaque on my forearm, and said it's "only" psoriasis. Now at the time I had not heard of psoriasis. Now I have researched it I wouldn't,t says it's something I would class as " only. "I do not have it as bad as probably a great number of people, but it is amazing the effect it has on your life. Needless to say I will be continuing to see the doctor I saw a couple of days ago, and avoid the other two.

To take part, sign in or register with us