Can anyone help? Desperate to help my daughter

Posted Fri 3 Mar 2017 11.01 by Tonia

My daughter who is 21 has chronic psoriasis she has had it for 3 yrs now. They have tried every cream they can and even light therapy but nothing is helping. She is so depressed. The doctors don't seem to be taking it seriously and have basically said oh well this is something u wont ever br free from...she is going to be seen at dermatology again but has lost all hope. Im worried about her mental heath now on top...anyone have any ideas what else she can try

Posted Fri 3 Mar 2017 11.39 by Lizzie

Dear Tonia, I am sorry to hear that. There are a lot of treatments out there that can help. Please ask your Dermatologist about use of what is called Biologic Treatments. They are expensive and are an injections but lots of patients have benefited. I would also mention the depression to your dermatologist. Wishing you and your daughter well.

Posted Fri 3 Mar 2017 11.43 by Tonia

Thank you for the reply I will be going to the appointment and will mention this. We've been to docs about how low this condition is making her and again are told that's to be expected she isn't suffering with depression just low because her skin is so bad. We've tried so many different docs now it's so frustrating. And hard to watch her suffer like this. Xx

Posted Fri 3 Mar 2017 16.06 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

There is a new treatment that has just been passed by NICE for chronic cases. It is called Otezla and here is the link to it in Mims. http://www.mims.co.uk/otezla-new-treatment-psoriasis-psoriatic-arthritis/dermatology/article/1333618

Posted Fri 3 Mar 2017 20.36 by Mark

Has she had her vitamin D level checked? It's a simple blood test and vitamin D deficiency is easy to correct with supplements. Correcting my low levels of vitamin D has made a big difference.

Posted Fri 3 Mar 2017 20.40 by Tonia

Thank u mark...I have requested they look into why no treatment works and could it be a deficiency somewhere along the line and keep being told very unlikely so no point checking blood work...I'm making notes and I'll be bringing these suggestions up with the dermatologist. I'm just at a complete loss I hate seeing how this cruel condition has destroyed my confident happy young lady and noone seems to be helping her

Posted Sat 11 Mar 2017 09.34 by DanielC
Had psoriasis since I was 17, now 50+

Hi Tonia, I can't emphasise enough how important it is to get in touch with the dermatology dep at your local hospital. There WILL be a suitable treatment out there for her, it's just finding the right one. Best of luck, Daniel

To take part, sign in or register with us