Life with Psoriasis

Posted Mon 10 Apr 2017 22.42 by andymiller101979

I wanted to put this together to try and show my own experience of dealing with this condition for the past 6 years. I lived a happy and healthy life in Buckinghamshire and never suffered with this condition but when i moved to Dorset i got tonsillitis and had small red patches coming up on my skin so saw a doctor and didn't think to mention the red marks because my voice had gone and needed antibiotics so i went back because these red patches had come up over my body and was told it looked like psoriasis so they gave me some cream and told me it would go away. A week or so i went back and he looked at my skin which had got worse and told me "it is just psoriasis" and gave me some more cream, i went out of there feeling a little low with his attitude so registered with another doctors and went to see them she sat me down explained everything to me then refereed me to Christchurch Dermatology department so i went there and they put me onto uvb therapy which helped a lot but i ended up moving to Blackpool before could complete the full sessions, I asked my new doctors to refer me to the local hospital to see whem which they did with no problem but waited 3 months then went to see them and the doctor didnt even look at my skin just read some notes and told me to put some horrible thick cream on which i did and it was horrible so went to see my doctor again and she refereed me to Lancaster hospital which i went to and saw a lovely doctor who listened to me and put me through for uvb therapy again and some new cream which was great but could not be used all the time. the uvb treatment cleared me up nearly completely but within a week it started to come back so went back and she gave me a spray cream (enstilar) which was great but didn't stay working for long so i am now trying to get tablet treatment which is proving very very difficult because i am not covered enough but trying to explain to them how i am affected does not seem to make a difference, is it just me or across the UK there is no consistent approach to this i know everyone is different but no one has ever asked me how i feel living with this and some days i have been really really low because of how things with doctors and the constant different creams and other attempts to bring this down, I have had a few doctors just look at me as if to say what are you going on about and some just say try this and see how it goes and some just don't even bother to look at you, If i have to go to Hospital for any other reason i see the doctors as soon as they see my body they just seem to scrunch up their foreheads as they look at me and go what is this so i have to explain it. I feel humiliated every time i have to show my body and don't really see that changing but i do not see most doctors attitudes changing where they actually seem to bother about the person suffering with this and how they actually feel. I am sorry if i have waffled on or this does not make any sense but think just needed a rant around people who actually live with this day in day out. Thanks.

Posted Tue 11 Apr 2017 03.12 by Joxx

I feel the same way about doctors, I'm going to light therapy 3 times a week and everyone keeps telling me if I keep going it will work and they keep telling me how much it's working my skin might not look as bad to them but it still feels it to me, I don't think people that don't have it realise it's painful too. My doctor took months to refer me to light therapy it started out on my scalp and he barley even looked at it and said it was a fungal infection and I had to get a scraping took and sent away, obviously it came back not a fungal infection and spread all over me, I went to the doctor with depression over it because I felt no one was helping me with it the doctors didn't seem to say anything just felt like they wanted the appointment over with asap, but the doctor basically told me they can't do anything for my depression because I'm so young, and kept asking me if I was sure and if I think that's what it really is as if I was too young to know what depression was even though I was sitting with half a head of hair left and covered top to toe in psoriasis. I completely understand what you mean and feel for you so much it's a horrible thing to live with it's hard with people ignoring it and just telling you if you do this it will help because they don't realise how hard it is knowing it's just going to come back, I haven't been much help but I see things like this and just feel the need to say how I feel too because there's so many of us in the uk doing the same thing and getting no where, I came on this 3 days ago or something for a rant because it's impossible to talk to someone about it that doesn't have it x

Posted Tue 11 Apr 2017 15.13 by andymiller101979

Hi Jaxx thanks for the reply, i think there are so many people having these problems but a serious lack of understanding with many health professionals these days and it shows when reading a lot on here. I only really came on here because didnt know where else to try and vent my anger at how the first thing i see on a daily basis and the very last thing i see every night is Psoriasis and for the past 6 years i really do not feel as though doctors have been very helpful. Luckily the Lancaster hospital do seem to be better than anything near to where i am and hope they will be able to help me get all this under control. What part of the country are you in?

Posted Wed 12 Apr 2017 14.53 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

Don't feel humiliated .keep on top of it and research . Doctors are there to help ,not to see embarrassement in you, so be strong on your visits ;a problem shared is a problem halved

Posted Wed 12 Apr 2017 15.00 by ClearskinPls

Nutrition or creams uvb or internal who knows!! Summer is soon 20 mins a day has helped me in the past...results can take a few weeks good luck!

Posted Fri 21 Apr 2017 20.34 by Nan50
I've had psoriasis most of my life.

I've had Psoraisis for 53years. Tried everything you can imagine to get it under control.. one treatment that I have had three times is the puva baths in conjunction with sunlight. Brilliant results.. it's under control for approximately 9 to 12 months... it requires dedication as the treatment is around 12 weeks.. well worth the twice weekly hospital visits .. what a difference in my confidence to wear short sleeve tops and skirts .. makes you feel like a new person...

Posted Mon 24 Apr 2017 08.15 by ShabbyClown

@Joxx - how are you doing right now? How was the progress of the therapy?

Posted Fri 28 Apr 2017 02.19 by pascaleanu

I suffer from psoriasis and I find dermovate helps on my skin, however my main problem is my scalp and I have long hair.... anyone has any idea for this?

Posted Fri 28 Apr 2017 17.20 by Nokey

I've recently developed a serious case of psoriasis, it's all over my body from head to toe, its all over my scalp like a wax crown, it pulls at my skin to a serious degree and it rips skin too, i've been given devobet steriod cream which i've been applying but nothing has seem to change if anything its got worse, i was given cocois coconut oil ointment which isnt helping either and for my scalp they gave me some shampoo called Capasal Therapeutic Shampoo which overall it eases the pain but still its not going away, the flakiness is still shiny and still visable, the problem i've had with psoriasis is that i'm only 20 and my friends take the micky out of me thinking its a hygeine problem but when i tell them its not, they dont believe me, it makes me feel completely dirty and at times it's made me feel suicidal because its my skin, its a major part of the human body, girlfriends have left me over it, everybody looks at me in disgust and i feel it difficult to open up to my GP because i feel ashamed and embarrased about it, i came here to share my experience and if anyone is feeling like me, its not hygiene, your not dirty, its stress induced, its a common condition.

Posted Fri 28 Apr 2017 19.09 by ClearskinPls

Im just fed up with the constant flare ups on my arms, creams do jack s**t and uvb is a complete waste of time.....feeling low

Posted Sat 29 Apr 2017 12.58 by sugarfree

I agree with these posts about the attitudes of most doctors. I really feel for Andy Miller. For Pascal and for scalps I've found Dermalex for scalp really good especially if used immediately after shampooing on a damp scalp. Also T gel clear shampoo seems to help. However the real help I found was giving up sugar including fruit juice but not fruit. See https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Prevent-Cure-Diabetes-Delicious-Diets-Dangerous-Drugs/1781610770/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1483568270&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=How+to+prevent+and+cure+diabetes+Dr+Myhill I would love to know if this works for others. Please respond either way to Stephanie Email is office@co-gassafety.co.uk

To take part, sign in or register with us