steroid cream use

Posted Wed 12 Apr 2017 16.44 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

I could probably ask my doctor but you guys are such a mine of information I thought I'd save myself some time! So, using steroids can atrophy your skin...over the long term. Does anyone have experience with this? How long are we talking? Is it continuous use or even if you take breaks or a couple of months between treatments? Backstory : - I'm having great success with Enstilar foam but I'm half way through my second can and I think that's all I'm going to get. Wondering if it's something I could ask for in future if I know it works? It's literally cleared my legs in less than a fortnight, I have a pending Derm ref for UVB but at the moment my skin is so clear I don't think they'll bother. I'm not usually one for getting my skin out (I'm in Scotland and basically so pale I'm see through!) but I've got some stuff later in the year that I would like to have clear arms & legs for. Wondering what the likelihood of my getting the same treatment but after 4 months off of it?

Posted Sat 15 Apr 2017 11.46 by masshha1996

I had a very bad experience with steroids. When I first was diagnosed all dermatologists were saying to use steroid creams and then I was too young to care and my mum just trusted the doctors. I had only a few patches om my scalp and my elbows, used the steroid for a bout 2 weeks everything was gone so of course we stopped using the cream a week later everything came back 3 times worse my scalp was covered, elbows, legs, stomach... So i would say it definitely depends on the cream and how bad is your psoriasis but I would definitely stay away from steroids. But then this was 12 years ago and maybe there steroid creams that are not that strong.

Posted Sat 15 Apr 2017 15.54 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

I have had some experience with the withdrawal from steroid creams and I'm slowly reducing the usage to hopefully avoid a rebound...I guess if it does glare up again then at least there's a higher chance of getting uvb prescribed! I've also read it can thin your skin, almost like stretch marks? It's that I'm more concerned with to be honest :-/

Posted Sun 16 Apr 2017 22.22 by Shiv3000

I have recently started getting psoriasis on my face.. My derm has prescribed Daktacort for it but hasn't seemed to help much yet (after 6 days use). Anyone got advice or similar issues? It's really getting me down.. :(

Posted Thu 27 Apr 2017 17.27 by ShabbyClown

Long-term use of steroids can be addictive and cause withdrawal which could worsen your symptoms.

To take part, sign in or register with us