Looking to hear peoples experiences with Severe Psoriasis and their timelines

Posted Tue 18 Apr 2017 1.13pm by neas83

Hi All!

I've had psoriasis for 12 years now since I was 22, initially it started out on my elbows and knees, but as my father has it I knew what it was and have lived with it for 8 of those 12 years with creams etc.

The last 4 years it has kicked things up a notch (not a flare up so to speak, but a gradual decline) where now I am covered 20-30% of my body in Psoriasis Feet, Face, Ears, Scalp, Back Belly, Armpit (really annoying) etc etc.

I tried UVB, didn't work at all, the creams don't work more than a few days and its takes too long to be effective.

So now for 2 months I have bee on 15mg of Methotrexate. So far no difference other than my psoriasis has got worse in the meantime.

So for people with Severe Psoriasis, what were your timescales? I'm ultimately hoping if it doesn't work to go onto Biologics as my dermatologist tells me I qualify for biologics.

Oh and I also have psoriasis Arthirits affecting 3 joints. Great!

So I'm assuming I will be taken up to 25mg of methotrexate to see if it has any impact, and then I guess they may try a different non-biologic systemic and then finally cave in and give me a biologic?

Posted Thu 20 Apr 2017 6.18am by Jim1982

Hi neas83

That sounds awful, sorry to hear that. i've had this awful condition for about 5 years now (am 39). Its all over my body but really flares up on my forehead and cheeks. I find i get strange looks when i'm out in public which is great for self esteem! Have tried all kinds of creams topical and steroids. Have had UV treatment, none of which has any lasting impact, generally comes back worse if anything. Am going to keep trying though, am convinced theres something out there to at least keep it under control. Funnily enough one of the best creams was my girlfriends oil of ulay cream! There is definitely something out there for everyone I think, hard to stay positive though but need to try!

Posted Thu 20 Apr 2017 1pm by neas83

I think at the stage I am at, the coverage is significant to warrant around 15-20 minutes of 'creaming' each day and due to my job I can't do it on work days as it stains my shirt. So I was just doing it once a week after a bath but am now on methotrexate so hope I get put on a biologic really.

Posted Fri 21 Apr 2017 7.04am by Jim1982

Totally know what you mean, creams etc are all well and good but not very practical. Let me know how you get on, fingers crossed

To take part, sign in or register with us

The Psoriasis Association is the UK's leading national charity and membership organisation for people affected by psoriasis – patients, families, carers and health professionals Read More >

Get in touch

The Psoriasis Association Dick Coles House 2 Queensbridge Northampton NN4 7BF

Email: mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk

Tel :
01604 251 620
Fax :
01604 251 621

© The Psoriasis Association Registered Charity: 257414 Scotland: SC039886 Privacy PolicyCookies

Site by Spoken Image | glitterfish

We use cookies to help us provide you with a better service, but do not track anything that can be used to personally identify you.

If you prefer us not to set these cookies, please visit our Cookie Settings page or continue browsing our site to accept them.