Methotrexate?

Posted Tue 2 May 2017 16.05 by Caroline
I have had Psoriasis since i was 8yrs old. So i have lived with this now for 26yrs!

Hello. I have been to see my consultant today who would gradually like me to come off Cyclosporin & replace my medication with Methotrexate? Is anybody out there who are taking Methotrexate and how is it working for you? Would be good to hear your thoughts and if anybody has already compared the two drugs, that would be most helpful to. Thanks: )

Posted Fri 5 May 2017 23.01 by andrea
have had p for too many years

Hi the only drug I have taken is Methotrexate. I started off at a low dose and gradually worked up to 15mg. This dose did not work so after begging to go up one more dose I was finally allowed to have 17.5mg. For the first year I was 90% clear then in January it started coming back. I saw the derm nurse 3 weeks ago and it is being reduced now as they said I cant stay on this dose for a long time. I don't know what their plan for me is after that. I have been offered UVB and I go for my skin meds test next week, so at least I will be fairly clear for this summer provided I can also top up with some sunshine. I have been using coconut oil which seems to reduce the redness. Dovobet makes it look very red and hardly works now. Every body is different so you may not need such a high dose. I do hope it works for you.

Posted Sun 15 Oct 2017 11.04 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

August 2011 to March 2012: I started taking 10mg Methrotrexate and gradually worked up to 20mg, which I think is the maximum. It did not improve my psoriasis at all, which at the time covered my neck to ankles almost entirely. I did experience side effects for a couple of weeks after increasing the dosage to 15mg: aches, shoulder pains, numb/tingling feeling in hands and feet, tiredness, feeling weak, pain in joints and muscles, headache. April 2012 to April 2013: I started taking 100mg Ciclosporin and gradually increased it to 300mg, which I think is the maximum. I had no side effects, and some of the psoriasis in my back cleared up. November 2012 to February 2013: As the improvement with the above was not significant, I had my first course of UVB phototherapy, which cleared up the psoriasis completely. June 2017 to present: Psoriasis started flaring up again, quickly spreading to cover neck to ankles almost entirely and is much more painful than previously; so much so that I have not been to work for over a month (although I have been able to work from home mostly, with reluctance from my HR department). I'm two weeks into UVB phototherapy, but it seems to cause a lot more burning and soreness this time. Might try to switch to biologics for the first time. The above is just my experience. Frustratingly some treatments that work for some people don't work for others. Good luck!

Posted Sun 15 Oct 2017 20.39 by andrea

my son has been on biologics for sometime and is now virtually clear. Like you he was covered and very flaky. He now has a good career, bought a house and goes to the gym regularly. All because he had biologics, it cleared and he is a confident happy young man Finally.

Posted Wed 15 Mar 2023 07.55 by Tracyjane

Hi Andrea, I have just come across these lists from a while back & am trying to find out as much info on biolologics as I can fir my 24 yr old son. Is your son still on them and doing well ? Thanks Tracy

Posted Wed 15 Mar 2023 19.59 by andrea

Hi my son had excellent results with biologics but he has been off them for a few months as he is trying to sort his skin out with diet. He also may want to start a family one day so has to come off them for a healthy baby. He is using Hanna Sillitoes diet from the book Radiant and juicing as recommended by her. It’s early days yet.

To take part, sign in or register with us