Desperately need your help/advice

Posted Wed 26 Apr 2017 14.40 by louisarosem

Hello lovely people, I'm putting this message out there because I'm so frustrated and at the end of my tether with my skin and I need your help. I have have guttate psoriasis since I was about 5, I am now 21. It was triggered by a severe throat infection I got from a swimming baths and a few days later I was covered head to toe. As I was growing up my mum tried so many different methods. I was hospitalised and wrapped in coal tar bandages when I was younger and had light treatment on and off for years. When I was 16 I began medication to treat the psoriasis, I have tried Methotrexate, Ciclosporin and Acitretin over a number of years. It suppressed it for a while but the side effects were devastating - I struggled to walk my joints were so painful, the inside of my nose/soles of my feet peeled, my hair fell out. It's coming up to a year since I last came off my medication - my hair is starting to grow back and I am a lot less stressed due to finishing my degree, but my psoriasis is worse than ever. Nothing seems to trigger it - it worsens and gets better of its own accord. The itching is so bad & nothing moisturises my skin for more than a couple of hours. As you can understand as a 21 year old girl it's having a huge impact on my life - I can't wear what I like and it's even impacting the work I get (I work in the film industry). To add insult to injury my joints are also going through a particularly painful period again. So that's my situation. I would be extremely extremely grateful to hear your help and recommendations for managing and treating my skin - I'm in need of some hope as I currently feel like I'll never be rid of it. (Needless to say I have tried all the steroid creams/ointments prescribed by my GP - none of them work) Lou x

Posted Wed 26 Apr 2017 16.38 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

You poor thing, what a nightmare :( *hugs* If you've tried everything from the doctor the only thing I have to add is Dream Cream by Lush - the smell is an acquired taste (I like it, my friend hates it) but we've both found it to take the itch and the blood red colour out of our P. Lush are good for giving you samples so pop in and ask if you can try some first. I also really like Oilatum natural repair cream for my face, very greasy but good for a base for make up if you give it time to sink in, it smooths things down quite a bit. Good luck!

Posted Thu 27 Apr 2017 17.25 by ShabbyClown

Sorry to hear that you are suffering a lot from psoriasis. Have you tried herbal treatment? My brother also has psoriasis and a friend of my mom who's a nurse btw has recommended a herbal treatment for psoriasis. It's extra virgin coconut oil mixed with powder or used pure. He is so much better now and his skin has improved a lot. I'm not sure if it will work for your like it did to my brother but there's no harm in trying.

To take part, sign in or register with us