Scalp Psoriasis

Posted Fri 1 Mar 2019 03.54 by Julia

Have been using dermalmd psoriasis serum it since it arrived - it is very good! The major skin flaking and irritation that was driving me mad with the constant urge to scratch my scalp and as a result, flakes of dry skin falling off has stopped. I have been suffering with (Psoriasis) very itchy and flaky scalp for some time, and now I can hardly believe the change after so short a time. I'm hoping that now my scalp has time to revive and heal, maybe my hair will have a chance to regrow on the almost bald patches due to this irritation.

Posted Fri 1 Mar 2019 13.31 by Les

Hi People :) Well after the posts i've put on I went to my doctors for something unrelated and while i was speaking to him I told him about my scalp problems and He had a look and gave me a script for some shampoo called: Dandrazol 2% shampoo, Ketoconazole 20mg/g, I used it a as told twice a week for 2..5 months and I did seem to do a little bit of good but Not a lot, I then had to go again to the doctors Again unrelated to my scalp, This time I saw a different doctor..a lady After speaking about what i went to see her for I mentioned my scalp and told her what the other male doctor had given me to use (as above) The Lady doctor said that is no good for your Psoriasis and she gave me a script for :Capasal Therapeutic shampoo which has Salicylic acid 0.5% w/w....Coconut oil 1.0% w/w.....Distilled Coal Tar 1.0% which is made by Dermal I have to wash my hair daily and That is Working Great...I have no more Oily liquid coming out of my scalp and only very little/3 small areas of flakiness which are about the size of a 5p piece....I've only been using it for 3 weeks But it has made a Great Big difference! Not sure if it can be bought over the counter but if not ask yer Doc for some :) atvb and have a Good weekend

Posted Mon 4 Mar 2019 22.16 by DawnMcc

This question comes to all fellow sufferers. Now unlike most of the posts on here I don't particularly suffer with the condition on my scalp and because my hair is thick and curly it's never been a problem! however I do suffer with it on my body and at the moment it's got really bad and is driving me round the bend!! I have for years only used Aveeno wash for showering and QV soap for washing my hands. It occurred to me earlier that the normal shampoo an conditioner that I use on my hair could impact my bodily skin!? as in I get in the shower, I wash my hair first then put the conditioner in and leave whilst I wash my body (like I said thick curly hair) then wash the conditioner out. Could the residue and chemicals in the shampoo etc impact the psoriasis on my body?? Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated! Wishing all my fellow suffers all the best!! Much love, Dawn

Posted Thu 12 Sep 2019 15.42 by lynzi

hello, I'm new here, but I have had P for around 10 years now. phases of good and bad. But recently found an article that spoke about Blueberry's being good for your skin as a natural anti inflammatory is counteracts the flare up of the skin. I have been eating about 20 blueberry's a day for the last 4 weeks and I have been a massive difference. It hasn't fully gone but it is definitely getting there. I'm going to try the Ginger shampoo that was posted about also. For Body P I also use Dream Cream from Lush. It is awesome. A little bit goes along way. I have tried all the doctor creams and treatments including the UV. But these self more natural ways are better. I find anyway. Hope this helps anyone :)

Posted Sat 14 Sep 2019 10.42 by Callumbus

New to this forum and some interesting suggestions for treating my scalp psoriasis. Just wondered if anyone has used a product I’ve seen advertised called : MG217 3% coal tar formula shampoo Thanks

Posted Tue 29 Oct 2019 18.00 by Kskin

Hi, have any of you tried Loyon? My dermatologist gave me a sample after she got some at a conference - not on prescription and it's £24 for 50ml in Boots.Sounds a lot but a little goes a long way and it really made a big difference,,, and fast! within a few days I stopped dropping snow dust all over my shoulders and that tight feeling on my scalp that's really sore had gone away, as well as the itching. It doesn't get rid of the plaques as such, it descales so you don't have that horrible grey dandruff effect. the plaques don't bother me any more, there's some redness but they are softer. I'm trying it now on the body before I go for phototherapy because my dermatologist said if the hard grey surface has been removed, the phototherapy should work better on the plaques. It's only got two ingredients, no nasty stuff like sulphates and it's not sticky , smelly or greasy!! Just put it on at night and wash it off in the shower in the morning. Super happy with the results

Posted Sat 16 Nov 2019 07.26 by Hazel

Hi All, I have just joined this forum, and now realise I am not alone with my pretty severe scalp psoriasis, bald patches and very red, site and itchy scalp....ugh! It has become worse over the last three years and GP and Dermatologist have prescribed lots of different treatments with no real effect. I have some allergies, so find coconut oil based stuff exacerbates the condition. Fortunately, I have a fair amount of hair elsewhere (Perfectil increased the volume), so I can do "comb overs" to a certain extent. I also wear hats where possible. However, I have just been prescribed this Enstilar foam, and am hopeful this will help alleviate the symptoms,as I was on the point of getting "false hair" sewn in. But I feel I should keep the Enstilar on as long as possible, putting it on at night anyway. Do I have to wash my hair each morning, because that would dry the hair out? The doctor said I don't need to wash it out, but I have seen that others do? I find not washing my hair so much is helping with the redness. Advice please!

Posted Mon 27 Sep 2021 15.20 by Lynsey

I urge everyone to try a silicone scalp brush !! I have had scalp/body psoriasis for 37 years the silicone brush is helping me so much to remove scale without scratching !! I have only just started using it so it is early days but already it is saving me so much time & effort. Before I used to apply my shampoo or oil then remove scale gently with a nit comb but sometimes this caught my scalp this is much better . I tend to use only organic & natural products now especially shampoo & oils as hate to think of what I've put on my skin over the years I've tried quite alot as you can imagine !! Coconut oil is very good you can add a few drops of tea tree essential oil if it suits you and leave on from 30mins to overnight if scale is really built up, I am adding some neem oil to mine at the moment as have heard it is very beneficial ..... try not to pick at it (this is always so hard for me !) Use the brush to exfoliate away the loose skin when it is softened !! Always wash hair with cool water not hot so not to irritate your scalp this also helps remove oil easier. Hope this may help others with scalp psoriasis think it could be a game changer for me. I am going to purchase a vibrating waterproof battery operated device soon as think this could be ever better For an added bonus it also is supposed to help with general scalp & hair health and promotes new growth too !! Good luck everyone xx

Posted Mon 27 Sep 2021 16.12 by Callumbus

Thanks Lynsey.-some good advice there

Posted Tue 28 Sep 2021 09.01 by Lynsey

Hi All/Callumbus I have posted more info on this in a seperate chat. Although I spelt psoriasis wrong ! 😩 If you look in psoriasis experiences and search silicone scalp brush you should find it. Most of it is the same but there is a bit more detail. Good luck everyone !! Xx

Posted Tue 28 Sep 2021 09.16 by Callumbus

Thanks again

Posted Sun 8 May 2022 20.26 by LavinaBogan

Between my naturally dry skin and psoriatic knuckles, cold weather, continuous handwashing, and hand sanitizer, I have the hands of a Gila monster. I love Dermalmd Psoriasis Serum. I felt an almost immediate relief and the moisture is not greasy, but lasts even through a hand washing or two. This is amazing stuff and I'm glad I found it.

Posted Mon 6 Jun 2022 22.30 by Anon0412

Hi my husband suffered from terrible scalp psoriasis! Shampoos never worked and the thick dovobet gel he was prescribed was just too tricky to use through hair. My mum has a friend who had it terribly on her arms. She gave me some Dovobet Gel…liquid gel not the horrible feeling thick stuff. I have read a lot of people don’t want to use this due to the steroids. But also a bottle of epimax which is an emollient cream. We tried the gel which was so much easier to apply than the thicker stuff and alternated daily with the epimax cream which again is so easy to the scalp. We have literally got rid of it all!! And Epimax is sooo cheap to buy. Apply epimax into scalp and leave overnight. This moisturises the scalp. Following night apply the watery gel to the real bad areas. My husbands scalp psoriasis has gone within a week of doing this! It’s incredible. Will now only use the gel or cream when really required but will continue to use Epimax. Appreciate not everything agrees but totally think it’s worth a try…and no horrible smells Just using the cream majority of the time, his back is completely scale free. Just waiting for the redness to disappear. Good luck!

Posted Wed 8 Jun 2022 17.06 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

Anon 0412 There is a good ointment that works well on scalps. Calcipotriol worked wonders for me and it was removed by a good shampoo. Its a POM so you will need a doc's prescription. https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drugs/calcipotriol/medicinal-forms/#ointment

Posted Mon 13 Jun 2022 23.11 by DS90

I'm suffering from scalp psoriasis also have it behind my ears and on forehead. You think I should invest my time to go see a dermatologist. ?

Posted Sun 19 Jun 2022 02.05 by JamesFoster

If your PS is on only on a small patch of your scalp you may not need to see a Dermatologist. But if most or all of your scalp is covered in plaques then you need to see one. He will probably use Sebco to clear the flakes. Then use Enstilar or Etrivex shampoo to reduce the inflammation. He will give you hydrocortisone cream for your face. He will need to examine your body to see if it spreading and monitor it. You may have plaques that you don't see. For example the top of your buttocks and lower back. If it carries on spreading he will prescribe you Methotrexate. It is actually a much more effective drug than many believe. Read the reviews for psoriasis medications on drugs dot com. Methotrexate and Clobetasol (a very potent topical steroid that is the active ingredient in Etrivex are highly rated and very commonly prescribed. I would see a Dr. when it start to spread to my face it forced me to take charge and get all the help I could from an experienced Dermatologist.

Posted Thu 11 Aug 2022 17.20 by b4dw01f

Washing with Salicylic Acid Shampoo such as a 3% T-Sal but recently switch to a 5% Keralyt along with exfoliating and using hydrocortisone psoriasis to moisturize keeps it in check 99% of the time,

Posted Fri 12 Aug 2022 13.31 by Kevin. Y

Hi mark the shorter the hair the better you could try some sort of coconut oil to remove the thick scales leave on in bath for a good 15 minutes try for a week then I use t gel massage in a leave on for a while .hope it works for you . Also I can’t use any other products on my hair or I get a flair up

Posted Thu 18 Aug 2022 21.59 by Monicat (edited Thu 18 Aug 2022 22.03 by Monicat)

I am so excited to share this with everyone. After almost 30 years of scalp p, after some liposuction treatment followed by antibiotics I was left with only 3% of psoriasis. There got to be a link between surgery and psoriasis response. Could be the vagus nervous stimulation or a course of strong antibiotics or even both. I don’t know for sure why it almost all gone but I just needed to share it with you all,. as I know what it is to suffer with this skin condition. Hope this can help researchers somehow. 🙏

Posted Wed 24 Aug 2022 17.24 by Conniepr

Hi, new here. Diagnosed with scalp psoriasis a few months ago. Cut my long hair off as was told I must wash my hair daily now. Was also told I'll have this problem for the rest of my life. :( Good thing I'm already old! (62) QUESTIONS: 1) Why must I wash my hair daily? 2) Will the tar shampoo have any negative long term effects? (worried about hair loss if i continue to use it 4-5 times a week as instructed, hair loss was already an issue for me before using this shampoo)

To take part, sign in or register with us