Burning when applying moisturisers/creams?

Posted Mon 8 May 2017 20.31 by ALD

I'm currently experiencing my first ever breakout of Guttate Psoriasis and feeling pretty miserable now. It's been a month so far and although my arms and body are showing signs of recovering my legs just seem to be going redder & redder. They're so inflamed and sore it's got to the point where I can't really bend my legs whatsoever because they feel like the skin is cracking. The last couple of days I've not put anything on them at all but today I've started applying "Dermol" cream again, which I had prescribed by the GP. The thing is it's unbaraebly stinging every time. Not sure whether to wash it off or not. I've also tried E45 and coconut oil but they all seem to have the same affect suddenly. The skin is just so hot too, worried it's getting worse. Advice very much appreciated! Thank you!

Posted Tue 9 May 2017 09.02 by orangepeel

ALD - Try Aveeno body wash and moisturiser along with Enstilar foam are all working fantastic for me in two weeks all scaling disappeared and itching reduced considerably especially in my scalp. Look at Enstilar foam forum to see what others are saying as most are having brilliant results. Good luck

Posted Tue 9 May 2017 09.38 by Deano

I feel your pain ALD, it's often underestimated how difficult it is living the P. Hang in there. Ive been suffering with it since a major breakout in January and have tried many different steroid creams and moisturisers and nothing seemed to help me, eventually after returning to the docs numerous times in a short space of time they finally give me an appointment with the dermatologist. After taking my shirt off in front of her it took all of a millisecond for her to shout 'Light Treatment'. She went on to explain that there was no cream in existence that would clear me up and that only Uvb light treatment would help me, I am due to start this treatment in 2 weeks. After doing some research I found Uvb light treatment in essence is similar to a sunbed, except that they have taken on the nastiness out that can cause cancer etc. So don't be tempted to use the sunbeds as an alternative. My advice would be to try to get to the dermatologist to see how they can help you in your case. Though it would be advisable to persist in finding a cream that helps your life to be more bearable. Double base gel helps for me (once the initial sting wears off)

Posted Mon 3 Jul 2017 18.35 by Mig

I am 3-4 months into guttate psoriasis too and I find the same issue - almost all moisturisers and ointments cause particularly inflamed areas to sting. It sounds like your legs are quite bad, so you really need to push for the GP to refer you to a dermatologist. Dermol is useless, I found.

Posted Tue 11 Jul 2017 14.43 by Livvyg

Can anyone recommend a good moisturizer to use during the day once I have put on enstilar?

Posted Tue 11 Jul 2017 16.20 by pinkyboy

My daughter uses Aveeno cream which was the only thing which didn't make her skin sting. You can also get Aveeno body wash. Your doctor can prescribe both of these

Posted Thu 28 Dec 2017 09.11 by DJW

My sister also had dry skin she tried many lotions and creams but due to use of chemicals in them she experienced burning and itching.Then my father once brought her nyassa bath and body's body oil.When she started using it she did not have any sensation of burning or itching in fact her body got moisturized and nourished.I think so you should switch to Nyassa bath and body's body oil. Here you can find it:http://nyassabathandbody.com/oil/body-oil.html

Posted Fri 21 Feb 2020 01.31 by Abbie

Double base gel is the only thing which helps me... I applying it twice a day, in the morning and evening. It is the only thing which soothes the dry and itchiness!

Posted Fri 21 Feb 2020 18.03 by OhNo_NotAgain?

The best I found was "DoubleBase Dayleve gel", marginally better than the "standard" "Doublebase gel", but both were better for me that anything else, and I feel as though I tried everything, including Aveeno, Childs Farm, Moogoo, Diprobase, Skin Therapy 50:50, E45, Cetraben, Aqueous cream, E45, Oilatum. I did find Oilatum bath oil, and Oilatum Plus bath oil to be very helpful.

Posted Wed 1 Apr 2020 23.57 by alanrco

I use Balneum Cream twice a day. At night if I'm having a flare up I use Dermacool + which is aqueus cream + 2% menthol. Doesn't sting and gives a lovely cool sensation.

To take part, sign in or register with us