Anal psoriasis

Posted Sat 23 Feb 2019 14.09 by Skinny

You can get it on Amazon. This is what Wikipedia says about it: "Diprobase contains no 'active ingredients'. It is made from a combination of liquid paraffin, white soft paraffin and water, as well as cetomacrogol and cetostearyl alcohol as emulsifying agents, chlorocresol as an antimicrobial preservative, phosphoric acid, sodium dihydrogenphosphate and sodium hydroxide." Seriously, it cured my skin conditions almost completely!

Posted Mon 4 Mar 2019 06.40 by MikeH

My derm prescribed what he calls his secret potion; hydroval corticosteroid ointment mixed with fucidan ointment; 1:1 It worked like a miracle after years of agony. Use only prn

Posted Fri 12 Apr 2019 21.33 by daveym

I've had anal psoriasis for at least 5 years and find myself only really itching in the early hours of most morning but do this semi consciously when I'm really tired and don't actually realise I'm scratching which is bad as I wake myself up doing it. Other times I can avoid scratching purely for where the itch is located so can persevere. My issue is when the skin feels like it might slowly be healing or scabs I find myself making the issue worse by wiping backside with toilet paper when I take a number 2 which I think is how this started in the first place. I used to over wipe my backside and I'm 99% sure the dryness of tissues affected the skin and so psoriasis developed in this area. I grazed my knee falling over some years ago and got a psoriasis patch there so seems that sometimes if I harm the actual skin in certain places it doesn't heal as it should. Question is how can I allow the skin in my backside to ever heal when im wiping it every 1-2 days with tissues?

Posted Sat 13 Apr 2019 06.55 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 13 Apr 2019 12.03 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

I had problems 25 years ago with redness, intense itching, anal-fissures. A doctor suspected a possible reaction to my own faeces and/or my soap (Shield bars of soap). He also recommended to avoid coloured toilet paper - to avoid the colouring and any perfumes. I switched to using E45 Shower cream on white toilet paper to clean myself, (no coloured, oil-impregnated paper). I never used soap or shower gel on that part of my body again, only E-45. I was able to buy some moist wipes in a plastic box that I carried with me when out (and a small thing of e-45 in my bag). I forget the brand of the wipes. My problem cleared up quite quickly. These days I carry "Andrex Classic Clean Washlets" in my bag when out of the house. I find them effective for cleaning, and I have experimented by leaving one in a container of water, and they do disintegrate (in a couple of minutes). I still only buy white toilet tissue, and I only wash that area with E-45 in the shower - no soap or gel. I also have a bidet-shower (shattaf) installed in my bathroom next to the toilet - so I rarely use dry toilet paper as the first step in cleaning myself. As a child I was brought up to wash myself with soap and a flannel after a bowel movement. The family-members each had their own face-flannel and a "bum flannel". Even now I find the idea that simply rubbing dry toilet paper over that area leaves you clean as somewhat fanciful. I have even spoken to women who think it is a fact-of-life that theiir husbands leave "skid-marks" in their underwear, rather then realising that it is simply a sign of not cleaning themselves thoroughly. Anyway, I digress . . . I hope that some of what I did could prove helpful to you. Good luck! EDIT: I have just realised that I already posted most of this in a message further back on 8 Aug 2018, I saw it as I was scrolling back here to edit out a couple of typos).

Posted Mon 7 Oct 2019 22.29 by tgh (edited Mon 7 Oct 2019 22.30 by tgh)

I’ve had this problem recently; anal fissures caused by or contributed to from psoriasis. My Mother & sister recommended PROKTIS-M PLUS Anti Haemorrhoids Piles Natural Treatment with Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe, Centella and Calendula (suppositories) These worked well, however the psoriasis came back again. GP / Doctor prescribed Betnovate Oinment which is strong steroid; this calmed down the inflammation - made the anal passage very dry, itchy etc. After discontinuing following a week’s treatment, moisturising anal area lightly with a baby moisturiser seems to keep things at bay. I use ‘Child’s Farm’ brand. Keep well hydrated and diet fibre based to keep stool and digestive transit regular as hard stool can cause issues! For washing I’ve found the Sanex zero shower gel range is good. Good luck :)

Posted Tue 22 Oct 2019 01.10 by FairyDust

Hi all Honestly the best thing I find is to use sudocreme ( or any other nappy rash ointment) I get a deep sore split in that sensitive area and that ointment works really well.

Posted Fri 10 Jan 2020 23.36 by Mario64

Around 5 years suffering, I've read all of this and realised I tried nearly all of it, and much more, and after much consultation with doctors I found a way to manage it well. I no longer tear my skin itching all night. No itch at all. (Coconut oil made things worse for me, but maybe I would try it again now things are calmer) Here's my protocol.. After a bowel movement, put e45 on plain white unfragranced toilet paper to wipe, repeat until clean, and then rinse with water /wet toilet paper, then pat dry. Now it's the best time to apply a cream: Synalar - strong steroid, apply daily, twice if possible until everything is gone or at least very nearly gone. This may take 2 to 4 weeks. At this stage you are ready to substitute with protopic 0.1% indefinitely - this is non steroid and can be safely used even on face and genitals, so it's fine. For me I probably need to apply protopic every other day to keep things at bay. I will often slack and forget for about 3 or 4 days, at that point, a flare can return which sometimes requires synalar again to calm. You can't really calm a flare well with protopic as it tends to really itch inflamed skin, which leads to you damaging it more. Protopic is really good at keeping the psoriasis fissures at bay, just please make sure you start small and only apply once it is relatively calm or it will burn and it's very greasy and hard to wash off if you need to. Do not worry too much about the dangers reported for these creams. I took so long to use them properly because I was scared of skin thinning, skin cancer, etc. These risks are exaggerated and apply to people using steroid creams excessively for years and taking oral protopic. Do it right and be consistent for a few weeks and you will see that this can be controlled.

Posted Sat 11 Jan 2020 18.02 by Jayxx

I agree with Mario64. It's the areas of the body no-one talks about but it affects many of us. Initially I had to use Lotriderm to clear up the problem and then, once clear, I moved to Protopic 0.1% to keep it away. Luckily for me, I just have to apply it once a week and that's enough to keep things peachy. I've been doing this for a few years now and my Dermatologist is more than happy for me to continue with Protopic. We're all different but for me, it's been a life changer.

Posted Thu 23 Apr 2020 09.23 by Mark

We all get flare ups. Inflammation causes digestive upset. During such times we may ' go ' more often thus requiring more wiping than at other times. What I noticed was when taking co codomol for pain relief during a flare was that any intimate psoriasis benefited from the subsequent constipation due to not going as often, and being firmer when I did go. In some kind of strange way was able to remain cleaner for longer if that makes sense. Lets face it when we are more loose can take a while cleaning ourselves sufficiently to go about our business.

Posted Sun 26 Apr 2020 17.24 by Talia

I use Protopic once in a while. Im trying not to use steroids overall and am trying to take a holistic approach. Hydrocortisone is more gentle and also helps. I found Protopic brought my skin back to normal rather than the skin being really sore.

Posted Sat 5 Sep 2020 20.21 by Psysword

Hi there. A newbie to anal psoriasis and its a bitch. Had it on my perianal area and then it’s spread to my anus area, and I suspect, it’s allergy to my feces too. Have developed a small fistula that causes more problems and mild bowel incontinence. It bleeds a bit too everyday. After reading everything here, I feel Puva is useless for anal skin. Use Frozen coconut oil and wash with water for best cleansing. It’s a horrible disease, but we have to deal with the burning pain. Anyways, I’ll get back to you guys after my new regimen in a few days. Thanks.

Posted Tue 3 Nov 2020 22.49 by Jane

Hi I wash with Hydramol if I get sore downstairs bottom or in my front passage I put a large blob of this on before I shower and that seems to help. Jane

Posted Wed 4 Nov 2020 20.06 by Jayxx

Like Talia, I use Protopic. I did stop using this around Feb time when COVID kicked off but that just meant a return to steroid creams and doublebase. Decided in September to re-start Protopic and I'm "back to normal" now.

Posted Sat 14 Nov 2020 19.31 by Happychappy

It's reassuring that I'm not alone. I've got perianal psoriasis and/or intetrigo of groins. It's so sore. Been on trimovate under direction of Dermatologist. My bum area is so red, shiny and sore. I'm not winning. My groins were great but have flared up. It's total frustration. Last thing I need is for skin to break down, I'm interested in reading comments about protopic, Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Posted Sun 15 Nov 2020 02.19 by Mario64

HappyChappy - You probably need a stronger steroid to get it under control properly, and then start with protopic. See my post above with full protocol and more detailed advice.

Posted Sun 15 Nov 2020 09.56 by Jayxx

Mario64 has pretty much summed up what I do. I guess my only difference is that I was prescipbed Lotriderm to get the psoriasis under control and then, once everything "back to normal", I'll switch to Protopic. For me, life is 'normal' while using the Protopic 2 x weekly, After a while, I try and reduce to 1 x weekly with the aim of slowly withdrawing the medicine. For me though, if I stop Protopic, the psoriasis will, of course, return which can be anywhere between 7 % 21 days. It varies.

Posted Sun 15 Nov 2020 10.08 by Happychappy

Thanks Mario64 and Jay for your replies and advice.

Posted Wed 18 Nov 2020 08.36 by Happychappy

My major concern is overuse of cortisone. My bum area is constant red. No improvement. Trimovate for 4 months and before that Daktacort off and on. I have no plaques, just sore redness and groins red and sore. Gp has suggested to stop trimovate and try Daktzcort with a different antibiotic. I'm in a circle not getting out of it. Any further suggestions??

1 Posted Wed 18 Nov 2020 13.00 by Mario64

Why are you on an antibiotic and using a cream primarily used for fungal infections? I went through a huge phase of my doctors trying to treat bacterial and fungal infections before they finally decided to listen to my self diagnosis of psoriasis. I do think you are best doing your own research sometimes and presenting it to your doc, as much as it may annoy most of them initially. I've told you the creams I used to get my issue under control. All I can say is ask your doc for those (if you are willing to take my advice.)

To take part, sign in or register with us