My Psoriasis

Posted Tue 16 May 2017 11.10 by BWC70

I'm a seventy year old male who has suffered from psoriasis for sixty two years. Psoriasis is NOT a skin disease but a condition brought about by increased T cell production by the immune system. Stress and certain foods will exacerbate it. Psoriasis can be generic; my aunt was a sufferer. The youngest of my three sons developed it after suffering a traumatic injury in his late teens. I pray my five grandchildren don't fall foul of this pernicious condition. Like most dermatological issues of this nature, e.g eczema, one has to manage it rationally & sensibly with whatever treatment provides the best results. I personally, have had little respite over the years but find natural sunlight or UVB phototherapy to be most beneficial together with a daily regime of emollients and mild topical steroids if necessary. Finally, I have to believe that a permanent cure for all forms of psoriasis will be found in the near future. Although not life threatening in itself, the debilitating psychological side effects of psoriasis are incalculable and to this end a solution to this miserable condition cannot come soon enough.

Posted Tue 16 May 2017 11.23 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

I find your story most moving. I am 52 and have had this since 38 after a period of stress. As you know it never goes...uvb short term solution, steroids take months if at all to cure. I should live in permanent sunshine if I was so lucky. T cells are interesting..I sometimes like to think that this over immunity business might show that we have greater immunity than others when confronted with disease threats..who knows! Makes me feel better anyway... meanwhile psoriasis teases me and pops up when im not looking shame but what can you do.

Posted Tue 16 May 2017 11.52 by Doreen (edited Tue 16 May 2017 12.00 by Doreen)

That is the first time I have ever read or heard anyone mention that we may be more immune than others to diseases. I have always thought that this could be the case as I am 72 and - fingers crossed - have always been very lucky with my health apart from the miserable psoriasis. After reading this thread, I had a look on the internet for any mention of research into this theory and see there is quite a lot going on, so fingers crossed, a cure may be on the horizon.

Posted Tue 16 May 2017 11.56 by ClearskinPls

I think there's something in it, I never catch colds and reject influenza snd stomach bugs within 24 hours... perfect health...but this psoriasis is a drag but it is an interesting thought......makes me feel better anyway

Posted Tue 16 May 2017 12.06 by ClearskinPls

Natural sunlight and not greasy creams is the only answer I think.. but not weak sunlight... cutting out trans fats is a good thing ive found

Posted Tue 16 May 2017 12.14 by ClearskinPls

No more than 20 mins strong sun !

Posted Tue 16 May 2017 19.09 by Adam3852

there is a new foam called Enstillar which I asked my gp about and got him to subscribe. within a week my flaking skin had almost completely disappeared and my red patches had almost turned back to normal. I have tried many things over the years including UV, which did help but started to leave me with lots of burns. Nothing has come close to this stuff, it was amazing. the only downside it is steroid based and will come back so you will need to manage it but just the initial results were amazing! also have a watch on YouTube on a documentary called Super Juice Me. this guy used to have psoriasis but now only has a small bit on his toes. I was lucky to go to the retreat and meet the guy and get his some advice. hope this helps!

Posted Tue 16 May 2017 19.12 by ClearskinPls

Ive heard of this, I will ask my doc, usually steroid creams take months with no effect, but will try it

Posted Tue 16 May 2017 19.16 by ClearskinPls

Problem is, too much steroid can be harmful....again another short term solution to this psoriasis

Posted Wed 17 May 2017 07.40 by Jackie

I have suffered with psoriasis for just over 40 years. Last year I was diagnosed with nasal polyps and was due to have surgery to remove them. My consultant told me I probably had an intolerance to Salicylates and suggested I try cutting them out of my diet. After a couple of months I had a CT scan which showed that my polyps had disappeared and I no longer required surgery but more importantly to me, my psoriasis had vanished! That was almost a year ago and I'm still clear of it to this day. Just thought it It might be worth sharing with you all.

To take part, sign in or register with us