Foot Psoriasis

1 Posted Wed 10 Apr 2013 09.30 by Charlotte79 (edited Wed 21 Jan 2015 14.58 by bgs0919srh)
Three years.

I'm new here so hello! My psoriasis is on my feet - mostly my left foot although a bit on my right. I think it must have been triggered as a result of an injury to my foot in 2008. Over the past few years it’s gradually got worse. It’s flaring up more often and there are days when the skin cracks and walking is extremely painful. I was in denial a bit I think at first. But this is really affecting my quality of life now. Last year I went on a two week holiday and it was pretty much blighted by my feet – the heat meant they were extremely dry, the skin was cracked and I could barely walk. I’ve joined this site as I accept I need to take a more pro-active approach to dealing with my condition. I’ve been to the doctor who referred me to the dermatology dept at my local hospital, but I didn’t feel it was much help. I’ve gone back and asked to be referred again, but it seems the answer is potions and lotions and not much else! I’ve also been reluctant to talk to people about it because I’m embarrassed – I feel there’s a bit of stigma to having a skin condition, even if it is hidden away on my feet. I see that people are far worse affected on here but this is beginning to really impact on my quality of life and it’s distressing. Is anyone else in a similar position? I’d really love to hear from you. Today’s a bad day for my feet and I’m at my wits end! Oh yes and it’s affected the nails on my hands and feet too – lovely! Thanks for reading.

1 Posted Wed 31 Jul 2013 02.26 by Jandy1314 (edited Thu 8 Jan 2015 14.58 by wizmint)
6 years

Wow, are you sure you're not me lol. I have bad psoraisis on my left foot for about 5 years now. It started on my right foot but has just about healed completely on that foot. My left foot is exactly as you described yours and I also have it on the palms of my hands, just little patches. It started on my inner thumbs and when that healed it started on my palms, my right palm is completely healed at the moment...at the moment :( My nails are also pitted and breaking. I hear what you're saying about the pain. At the moment my foot is so itchy I scratch it till it bleeds and then it becomes painful when walking. I hate it when people say don't scratch because its IMPOSSIBLE not to but the more I scratch the itchier it gets...until it bleeds, cracks open and is painful as hell. DAMN. I have used all sorts of lotions and potions and had light therapy 3 times a week for months on end. Nothing seems to work, sometimes it settles down a bit on its own but never goes away completely except for some parts, only to crop up in others. I know that diet, what we eat and drink can have an effect on it and I have heard in some cases that it can heal it but it is very regimented and impossible for me to stick to lol. I would LOVE to go and have a pedicure and foot spa again but since this has come up I am way too embarrassed :( Its interesting that you think it may have been triggered by an injury as prior to my psoraisis I broke some small bones in my feet which went undiagnosed for months, I was hobbling around on them with doctor after doctor saying it was "nothing" until I found an amazing foot doctor. Hmmm, you make me question it now and I wonder if the stress of that on my feet could be the reason for the outbreak as I never had any form of psoraisis before. I have read that stress can make it worse and I do see a definite flare up during times of stress. Last week I gave myself a foot spa at home and I placed my feet in one of those foot spa things with warm water, 1/2 a cup of blue mouthwash and 1/2 a cup of white vinegar. I sat there for 10 minutes and at the end of it my feet felt awesome, it was a great relief to the itch and my feet smelt good too lol. There seems to be so much stuff on the net about treatments but it just runs me around in circles. People without it just dont understand how much it impacts on your life. Like you I tell myself there are other people much worse off (poor buggers, I really do feel for them) but still, these are my feet and it BLOODY HURTS...and NO, I won't stop scratching, its a moment of insanity lol. Hope you are having a moment of relief or remission by the time you get this message. Jo

Posted Sat 3 Aug 2013 22.36 by charleychick (edited Thu 8 Jan 2015 15.02 by camelblue)
to the point where i want to crawl out of my own skin!!!!!

i hate psoriasis, i could have slapped myself when a saucepan fell on my toe six months ago cos i knew something was coming.... and yep sure enough its now on my feet!!! its an evil disease, i am clumsy as it is but i often find myself saying "GREAT NOW ITS GONNA POP UP THERE" after hitting a part of my arm or leg etc its frustrating cos accidents do happen and i cant wrap myself up in cotton wall!! i wish it would just take a walk seriously i feel cursed!!!!!

1 Posted Fri 20 Sep 2013 20.43 by Gilbanks (edited Thu 8 Jan 2015 15.02 by markyboy)
11 1/2 years

First time on site - really like. Funny I have to cross an ocean to find a great Psoriasis site. I have PPP, Palmer Planter Psoriasis - foot and hand. Have had for 11 1/2 years. Creams do not work for me, and I quit taking Soriatance (have that in UK) due to side effects (extreme hair loss). Experiencing a big flare up right now and enjoy hearing all the diet ideas - I have been eating great tomatoes all summer, which now I read can be part of the problem. Suggestions to give up sugar didn't scare me as I don't care for sweets, and the I laughingly remember I drink wine daily. I work with the public and can't show my hands right now. That embarrases me. But I have had clear times when I could wear beautiful little shoes, alas not now. Hello all from the US/Colorado

Posted Mon 5 Jan 2015 22.27 by beaker (edited Thu 8 Jan 2015 14.58 by eb)
Yes on my feet

I have psoriasis on both feet it isn't itchy thank goodness but it does crack and bleed which makes it very painful to walk. I have tried various creams but nothing has really helped. The dermatologist gave me tablets to take I can't remember the name of them but she told me I shouldn't get pregnant whilst taking them and for at least five years after stopping taking them. This really put me off taking them at all! Surely their must be something less drastic. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Posted Sat 10 Jan 2015 11.03 by Lesley
Hands Feet Ligaments Back Neck knees

Hi, I have started with this too. Both my feet and hands are cracked and painful. Using heel cream with Urea in it at moment and low dose steroid cream. Not sure what to do next!!

Posted Thu 5 Feb 2015 06.19 by clpage09

My grandmother has it horrible on her feet I've found that aloe Vera lotion with tea tree oil works wonders

Posted Mon 16 Jul 2018 15.36 by Kim

Hi Ive had psoriasis on the feet 5 years now and About a year ago I was on methotrexate and it cleared it up so I come off of it because it due to it being a major drug and being checked all the time, I am now having a bad flare up so I decided to go back on methotrexate with advice from my dermatologist, I have been back on it for about a week now and still no improvement, I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions of anything else I can use? I've used all lotions and cremes and they don't seem to be working, I have found that freezer bag on my feet along with painkillers every 4 hours does help with the painbut I have also found that the longer I have this skin condition the less effective the medications and treatments I have used in the past seem to be, I see on here that someone suggested using aloe vera lotion as it is very effective but I was just wondering as my cuts are all open and very deep is this still advisable?, I'm at my wit's end so Any help will be greatly appreciated Thank you

Posted Tue 17 Jul 2018 15.27 by Kara

I have a type of plaque psoriasis on my feet (have had it for YEARS). I mainly eat a keto diet - high fat, very low carb, low/moderate(ish) protein. I drink coconut oil in my coffee every morning as an easy way to boost fat. I recently sold my house and moved in with my mom. My coconut oil is kinda messy and in a HUGE container. To save space, I put it away. I got the worst bout of psoriasis I’ve ever had. My mom kept telling me to go to the doctor. I kept thinking it would go away but it didn’t. Fast forward and I moved into my new house. Still horrible. Couple weeks after moving in, I noticed my coconut oil was missing. Got it from my mom. I drink about 2 tablespoons a day in 2 LARGE cups of coffee. Yesterday I noticed my psoriasis had cleared up almost completely. While talking to a coworker, I mentioned I drank my last swig of coffee that was almost 100% coconut oil and how disgusting it was. He told me about the amazing, healing properties of coconut oil and how people rub it on blisters to heal them. Huh? This morning I googled psoriasis and coconut oil. People say it does WONDERS when used topically. I have always ingested coconut oil, but my psoriasis cleared up on my feet within a week, which is AMAZING. It was BAD. I can’t help but think it’s the coconut oil.

To take part, sign in or register with us