Methotrexate treatment

Posted Mon 12 Jun 2017 20.34 by Colin1975 (edited Mon 12 Jun 2017 22.39 by Colin1975)

Hi all I have been using methotrexate now for a few months now and have found it great, was covered from head to toe ( had a really bad year 2016) up until a week ago and now my psoriasis is showing its ugly head again. I feeling down about it as I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks. I've started using creams again to hopefully control it. Found methotrexate a good drug no really side affects only for a sore head now and again. Going to talk to hospital tomorrow 13th June fingers crossed they will up my dose to clear it again. Does anybody find there's worse in the summer time and better in winter? Why is this?

Posted Sun 18 Jun 2017 11.45 by Roofire

Yes. I suffer with severe hay fever and have always wondered whether that has an impact?

Posted Wed 21 Jun 2017 20.46 by MollyG

I've suffered with psoriasis for more than 20 years now and I've never been clear. It's not very severe but my dermatologist has been working to get me clear for 5 years now and it's just not happening. I have bad flare ups due to stress and I'm about to start a degree at university so I know my stress levels will be high. She's suggested I give the meds a go which I think is a good idea but I'm having reservations about side effects and worry that if they make me ill it might effect my work. I suppose I just want to know if you found the benefits of having clear skin worth the side effects if you have any that is. Xx

Posted Sat 8 Jul 2017 15.08 by Claire1234

I am on methotrexate I have had psoriasis for 35 years and 6 months ago was confirmed with psoriatic arthritis. I am going onto the injection next week due to sickness from tablets and today I now have a mouthful of ypulcers and feeling yuck x

Posted Mon 25 Sep 2017 12.37 by Liza246
Had psoriasis for 10 years on hands, legs and elbows now on my face

I'm so pleased to hear that methotrexate is working for you. I was using cyclosporine and it worked but it's not a long term use drug. I've been advised methotrexate for long term but I'm really worried about taking it. I'm worried about the side effects and also a bit of a social drinker with my friends. I know this shouldn't be difficult decision as I have a body full of psoriasis and my face is covered in it now. Did anyone else struggle with the no alcohol advice on this when taking it or do you just get used to being the designated driver? Thanks Liza x

Posted Mon 2 Oct 2017 11.53 by Kitty20

I stopped drinking when i starting taking methotrexate. like you i enjoyed a drink with friends down the pub at first its hard with everyone drinking around you but you do get used to it and you see other benefits of not drinking. I would rather have clear skin after 22 years of it than a drink. I hope this helps you keep thinking of that clear skin Pam x

Posted Wed 4 Oct 2017 15.58 by Bobney

I also stopped drinking in April to take Methotrexate. It's a bit strange at first but I was determined not to let it curtail my social life. One tip is to make sure your with everyone when they start drinking. I found I can usually get in the same frame of mind that way. If you drink beer, there are plenty of good non alcoholic versions now.

Posted Thu 5 Oct 2017 13.47 by Tralalal02

I know several people who have had success with Methotrexate for their psoriasis. However, this drug is similar to those used for the treatment of cancer ( a growing problem) Of course there many many drugs in this category and new ones are sure to be developed However, if I was going to take it I would want to know if it would impact on the effectiveness of any chemotherapy I had to have later for say cancer. By the way when I was treated with chemo for breast cancer my psoriasis disappeared for over a year One wanted side effect

To take part, sign in or register with us