Foods that Worsen Psoriasis

Posted Sun 2 Jul 2017 07.26 by MaddyC

Hello, I have been struggling with psoriasis for over 2 years now, I am 18 yrs old. I have heard a lot from others that a gluten free diet has helped them with their psoriasis? Has anyone else tried this? Or know of any good/bad foods that help with psoriasis? Let me know your thought I would very much appreciate it!

Posted Sun 2 Jul 2017 08.28 by Doreen

Tried lots of different diets over the years. They may work for others but not for me. I find stress is the worst thing for psoriasis.

Posted Sun 2 Jul 2017 14.14 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

I have found that highly spice foods can aggravate my P and since giving up curry etc I do not get the aggressive flares any more, BUT my P is still there at me only, not so bad as when I enjoyed the highly spiced hot menus. such as Indian and TexMex.

Posted Mon 3 Jul 2017 11.25 by Lonaroma

Try cutting out sugar, salt, anything fried, all nightshade plants:, especially tomatoes, and hopefully making your body more alkaline than acid. My advice comes from a book by Dr. John Pagano which is a life saver, but not easy! This is my second message to you, but don't think you are getting them.....God bless you anyway.

Posted Mon 3 Jul 2017 18.35 by bulletinmybeard (edited Tue 4 Jul 2017 09.37 by bulletinmybeard)

Since I went Vegan, my health condition changed drastically. Not only my diabetes and high blood pressure results have gotten better, I also lost 42kg. Unfortunately, my skin seems to be unimpressed of my achievements. My Psoriasis Vulgaris had not gotten better in any way. But I noticed this earlier when I tried different diets, controlled by my former doctor. When I did an anti-detox diet, my skin began to itch a lot why I had to stop the diet. Even the strongest pills didn't help to get the itching thingy under control. Also, a good amount of alcohol leads instantly into itching and red skin. For me, the food or drinks, except alcohol, doesn't matter... Cheers

1 Posted Mon 3 Jul 2017 20.12 by MaddyC

Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate all of you

Posted Tue 4 Jul 2017 09.34 by Toodlesoodles

Diet doesn't seem to have any effect on my psoriasis either. Was really optimistic it would and cut out all dairy, gluten, processed sugar, red meat and certain veg and fruit for almost 7 weeks. Apart from a night out for a friend's birthday I also completely cut out alcohol too. Absolutely zero affect on my psoriasis.

Posted Tue 4 Jul 2017 15.49 by Sparkles94

Diet does not seem to have an effect on my guttate psoriasis unfortunately. I eat very very healthily and it has never worked. I note that spicy foods and dairy seem to really aggravate my skin which sucks because I love dairy products so I cut them down and have a treat now and again. Also cutting alcohol out of my life has shown no help to my skin. I was never a big drinker from the get go but for me nothing diet related works. If anyone finds any foods or anything that helps please share as I am desperate to try anything. I am covered 80% of my body and it is horrible.

Posted Wed 5 Jul 2017 00.41 by Darron

Tried the Pagano diet for two and a half years and while the itching subsided the psoriasis continued to spread. I decided to keep a daily record of my meals to see what was causing the flare ups. The only three things that were consistent over the years with me were bread, milk and cheese. Of course anything made with these are included. Yes that means pizzas. The most interesting thing is I don't think it's food related as such. I have suffered 7 years now with psoriasis and the same year I also started suffering from hay fever, coincidence? I don't think so. I think somehow they are related. I get sore eyes and runny nose from grass pollen, cows eat grass, I drink milk and eat cheese. Bread is made from flour, could it be that it's contaminated with pollen or something else that I am reacting too?

Posted Wed 5 Jul 2017 19.22 by AbSue

My daughter was on a gluten free diet before she was diagnosed with psoriasis, so no

Posted Thu 6 Jul 2017 08.35 by Gren1954 (edited Tue 18 Jul 2017 16.44 by Gren1954)

I agree what other says there a a lot of diets but some of them may not work for u, u have to try it on as you never know what actually works for you. i also am not sure if it has any connection but norditropin has worked and made my psoriasis a little bit better... again,not sure what's the connection between them.

Posted Thu 6 Jul 2017 12.39 by antonio

This is my first posting and I find sharing experiences really helpful. I have just had my first flare up and it has been quite aggressive. Just can't stop the itching and scratching. I am trying various moisturisers and have started with a process of elimination of certain foods. Thats where I find this thread useful. The P flares up badly around one of my ankles and the skin splits and the ankle swells. And I lose a lot of flaky skin. If anyone has something similar I would be grateful for their thoughts.

Posted Thu 6 Jul 2017 13.26 by Sparkles94

Hi Antonio, I am new to posting too. I found a great cream that works wonders on my dry, flakey, bleeding skin. It is called 'Childs Farm Moisturiser' you can get it from boots and Superdrug. It is always sold out so you need to keep looking and order when it becomes available. I have exhausted the lists of ointments, creams and steroids but this works. Full of natural ingredients and smells amazing. Well worth a try I would say. It is £3.99 but price means nothing when it works. Hope this helps. It cleared my worst ever flare up to date.

To take part, sign in or register with us