Pustular Psoriasis

Posted Thu 3 Aug 2017 09.47 by janie68

Hi, I am new here. I have had psoriasis for 28 years, but 3 years back I got ppp, on hands and feet. The soles of my feet are covered in it, nothing works. It feels like walking on broken glass on hots coals, pain killers hardly do anything. I suffer with my joints too & have other problems, diabetes, Crohnes & liver disease. I am just so down and frustrated as have become disabled with it all. Have had light treatment but it burnt me after a year of treatment twice a week. In need of a hug.

Posted Thu 3 Aug 2017 11.51 by Lel (edited Thu 3 Aug 2017 11.52 by Lel)

Oh wow That's exactly how I describe it As walking on broken glass! It's the worst feeling ever. Sometimes I just sit in my bedroom with my feet in a bowl of sea salt water in tears. There was a realisation for me about eight weeks ago that I am actually disabled. I can't cook. I can't go shops. If I do and there's no parking space outside I go home. I work full time and by Friday I'm basically in bed all weekend or on sofa unable to move. Self care is out the window. I've needed a hug too. People just look and see the face. They don't see the hell that is this disease! My sister lives far away and stubbed her toe and sent me a picture!! I had to laugh. It was her trying to relate I guess. Hugssss to you Janie68*******

1 Posted Thu 3 Aug 2017 12.46 by janie68

hugssss to you too Lel I had to be medically retired from work, I just didnt have enough energy to go through hell. I have sat in my bedroom with my feet in warm water and soap substitute, looking out of the window, trying to do mindfullness meditation, zoning out of the pain and frustration (of not being able to do things.) It took me a long time to accept I was disabled too. What have you tried?

Posted Thu 3 Aug 2017 14.08 by Lel

Well I've tried absolutely everything or so it seems. Creams, ointments, vitamins, diet change. The thing that seems to be helping me at the moment is betamethadone valerate cream after a foot soak and also fludroxycortide tape- put on the really sore patches. Also I'm off work now for 6 weeks due to school holidays which means I can rest up! I also try to meditate as I know they say it's stress related. I have also stopped smoking six months ago. I have just really struggled with this year long flare up tbh. I've debated in giving up work too. Another hug cos well.... Just cos Hugggs*****

Posted Thu 3 Aug 2017 14.21 by Lel

Ps I have resorted to, in the past, bandaging my feet and hoping they will get me through the day. The tape really does help some and gives relief to those awful splits, fissures we suffer from when we have it on the soles of our feet. Just want happy feet.

Posted Thu 3 Aug 2017 15.59 by xloreleix - 33 from Pinner
Hi im 26 years old and suffered from psoriasis since i was 16. Currently enduring a battle with PPP and about to try acitretin

Hi all, Completely understand where you are all coming from! Im 26 years old and have suffered with psoriasis since my teens but the past 4 weeks have been the worse, spread all over my body and had blisters on my hands and feet making me feel like bubble wrap and at my lowest. Im starting my first day today on acitretin heard about all the side effects but feel like its now my last resort now. Wish me luck as im due to go travelling in november! P.s reliefs i find are coconut oil and sometimes add sugar to make a scrub which soothes my hands and feet! Good luck all!

Posted Fri 4 Aug 2017 12.49 by Lel

Good luck xloreleix!!! I'm sitting in my bedroom with my feet in salty water. I'm paying for a walk to the shops with my friends this morning. The sun is shining today so not all bad!

Posted Fri 4 Aug 2017 20.40 by xloreleix - 33 from Pinner
Hi im 26 years old and suffered from psoriasis since i was 16. Currently enduring a battle with PPP and about to try acitretin

Aw ive been feeling sorry for myself covered my self in cetraben got it from the docs yesterday its quite soothing but its a shame makes you feel dirty again! When you get a chance try adding sugar to something and giving them a massage its a really nice feeling! Hope you had a nice walk im gunna gove it a go tomorrow!

Posted Mon 18 Sep 2017 21.04 by peapod

I was diagnosed in June with Postular psoriasis on my hands, feet and lower legs. I am struggling . I liked the description that its like walking on glass. I am a nursery nurse and my hands just never heal, The creams supplied by the GP don't seem to be doing anything. I have booked an appointment for a Dermatology but the waiting list is long end of October is the first appointment. Feeling like no one understands the pain I'm in. Reading the comments has made me aware I'm not the only one suffering.

Posted Mon 18 Sep 2017 21.15 by xloreleix - 33 from Pinner

Aw yep completely understand your pain I was put on acitertin from my dermatologist I couldn't wait any longer and had to go privately as well. I've been on it for 2 months and it's done well can still see them under the surface though but apart from that I'm no longer in pain. The past month I've also been using a compact uvb lamp called dermahealer from Philips it was about 100 pounds but I'm sure that's been doing more to heal it so would defo recommend getting one! See I'f it helps before you go to the appt then you will have an idea whether you need to have anything at the dermatologist may save u paying to go on these meds!

Posted Sun 24 Sep 2017 20.32 by Sue P

I really know how you feel, I've even wondered which would be worse no feet or no hands !! As said in previous messages I've done a lot of research into the gut & diet, please read the "Good Skin Guide by Shann Nix Jones & Muchael Mosley Gut Diet. They helped me immensely. I too am in the process of requesting early retirement due to ill health as I can't go on. Recent outburst & Dermatologist has asked me to try Enstilar foam. Early days, very promising, take care & hug to you all. Xx

Posted Sun 24 Sep 2017 21.24 by Sue P

Ps: every night I soak my feet in a foot massager with some Aveeno oil. I then moisturise my feet & wrap in clingfilm & put socks on top. Hands are also soaked, creamed & cotton gloves put on. Then bed. It is a fath but has helped, my feet feel like new in the morning even if for only a few hours. Good night all xx

Posted Thu 28 Sep 2017 18.22 by Wardie25

Hey guys, this is my first post, I am 48yrs old and diagnosed 6months PPP and it's dreadful I empathise with you all, the constant heat and itching, put cream on thick at night with in an hour woken by burning heat and cracking feet & hands...I've been given coal tar & betamethasone along with methotrexate injections (3 weeks) and no change yet! The thought that I have to live with this long term makes me feel lost, I'm a single parent and self employed my dermatologist has asked me to be a Guinea pig for something called PLUM does anyone know the trigger? Super fash healing to you all.

Posted Thu 28 Sep 2017 23.33 by Sue P

Hi, not heard of PLUM . I've done lots of research about "triggers" as I'm sure most of you have. However no matter what the trigger once it's raised it's ugly head it's there ! I found it hard whilst at work because my colleagues couldn't appreciate the overwhelming effect it can have on all aspects of your life. My heart goes out to all of us.

Posted Sun 8 Oct 2017 23.14 by Michelle78

Hi everyone, A few weeks ago (about 2 months) I started getting pustular psoriasis on the hands and feet. I went to see a dermatologist and he didn't really seem to care and just prescribed me dermovate, a cortisosteroid cream. It worked wonders for the time I used it, psoriasis kept coming back after usage. And you're not supposed to use it continuously, it thins the skin and makes it more vulnerable to flare ups. I was doing alot of anxiety, and quite hopeless. I kept searching the net for cures... I came upon this website with alot of people in my situation. I must say, after reading the many posts on the subject, I felt even more anxious. People saying how this is the worst form of psoriasis and reading the stories really made me feel like there was no hope for this and nothing could be done. I took a bit of information, bits and pieces from everywhere, and I succeeded in controling it, and eventually stopping it. Without the use of cortesosteriod creams. So here is what I did, if this can help anyone out there who is feeling hopeless. I don't know which of the following things or if all of them together helped, but I'll tell you my recipe. First of all, I took this new negative thing that was happening in my life as my body giving me a message. So I decided I would turn this negative into a positive. 1) I was a smoker, so I quit. 2) I ate alot of meat and gluten, so I became a vegetarian and I still eat a bit of gluten but not as much. I try as best I can to take low gluten food (but I still have it, I love pasta !) 3) I ate pro biotic yogourt everyday, and took a bit of echinacea to enforce my immune system 4)I soaked myself once a day in tar oil & I rubbed and massaged-in tar jelly on the plaques up to 4 times and day, wearing cotton gloves. This is tricky if you have to go to work everyday. For me, I did it an entire weekend. 4) don't expose my hands to harsh products, so I wear rubber gloves (no latex) to do the dishes, wash the house, etc. 5) moisturize with thick anti allergen cream (no fancy smelling creams!). Also, wash hands with bar soap, no fancy hand soaps. So those are all of the things I did at , and I started this after my second flare up, and by the time my 3rd flare up started. Instead of increasing in intensity and spreading everywhere on my hands, there were very few plaques, and did not spread everywhere. By day 5, the white 'zits' dried up and it was almost gone. There was no more redness and inflammation, and it was basically curing. I will share also the experience my mother had, 20 years or so back in the days internet did not exist, she had PPP on her hands and feet very badly, and for those of you who do not want to change your habits (smoking, meat eating, etc etc), my mother cured her very bad PPP by soaking in tar everyday and puting Protopic prescription cream. She never had any flare ups ever again. If my PPP comes back again, I may try this route. I hope that this post will help anyone is who feeling hopeless and is having alot of anxiety. I believe that if you treat your pustular psoriasis carefully, putting in the necessary time and care and NOT IGNORING it, hoping it will go on its own... and especially not overusing the cortisosteroid creams, than I think this is manageable. If you have any POSITIVE experiences to share on the subject, you should! There are way too many negative posts about this. This is not an untreatable pathology.

To take part, sign in or register with us