Just started a vegan diet

Posted Sun 6 Aug 2017 02.37 by Susan (edited Sun 6 Aug 2017 02.39 by Susan)

Help! I am going into my third week of a vegan diet. My reasons were nothing to do with my lifelong psoriasis condition. So, obviously my diet has changed and is healthier, water intake has increased etc. But my psoriasis has hit the roof. I have never seen it so bad.? Is there a connection? I am also getting married in two weeks so I am aware that stress may be a factor. Just wondered if anyone had a similar experience or any advice to give. Many Thanks

Posted Sun 6 Aug 2017 10.53 by xloreleix - 33 from Pinner
Hi im 26 years old and suffered from psoriasis since i was 16. Currently enduring a battle with PPP and about to try acitretin

Hi, ive struggled with psoriasis since my teens and if im honest as much as it is an immune problem with psoriasis i dont think it really comes down to what diet you do i notice it only ever flares up if im worried or stressed even if you dont notice you actually are. Ive tried gluten free dairy free you name it but it never makes a difference. Ive come up recently in the worst flare up ever covered head to toe and got pustular psoriasis in my hands and feet which was new for me! my last resort was actertin (however you spell it) and im 4 days in and fingers crossed im starting to see a slight difference. I always found before as much as they say not to sunbeds or being in the sun brought it down for me but i couldnt help the blisters on my hands and feet this time! Ooo also i started taking calcium and vitamin d tablets and cut out alcohol for a week god help me so dont know if thats helped! Good luck and congrats! Dont be ashamed of it on your wedding day u can get them to edit the pictures! But im sure your fiance will still see how beautiful you are on the day :) X

Posted Sun 6 Aug 2017 17.56 by Susan

Hi there.. Thanks for replying.. Your level of psoriasis sounds severe. I hope the acetrin works. I have used sunbeds in the past and Yea they did work. I was also sent for UV Treatment but having to sit in a hospital dress open backed beside older guys in a queue before we reached a grim tiled room was just not do-able for me. I guess it probably is, for me, stress and change of diet. I haven't had alcohol for over a month now so I hopefully can rule that out. Keep chin up. X

Posted Sun 6 Aug 2017 17.58 by Susan

And thanks for encouraging kind words!! X

Posted Sun 7 Jan 2018 20.40 by Twoshoes

Hey, how's your Psoriasis now? I've had it since I was 6 years old (gut ate and plaque) and have recently started to read about more holistic ways to heal my skin. I've not a 100% started any regime yet but honestly believe more and more that it's connected to what we put in and on our bodies that causes this. Yes stress doesn't help but after seeing your post it made me think your body was detoxing. Ive read that if you change to a way of eating such as veganism your bodily initially needs to get rid of toxins and does it, one way, through your skin. If you persist with the vegan way for a while longer - poss could take a few months your skin should improve. I might be wrong but I think it makes sense. Hope you had a lovely wedding!

Posted Tue 9 Jan 2018 22.46 by Sue P

I agree with the above x

Posted Wed 10 Jan 2018 14.31 by ohwell

Susan, there a worse things than sitting in a queue of guys. Believe me they did not care other to know you were in the same boat. I sat in a waiting room full of women waiting for an ultrasound. I knew why they were there. Wedding? Well it is done and I hope all had a lovely day. Try anything if you think it will improve stuff, but am beginning to wonder about my cupboard full lotions and potions. But some do work. Other half spent months putting an oats and water mixture on me. It is soothing but is an absolute bugger to get off. I guess there is no "cure" so it is what it is. No known cause either. I am trying to be helpful, good days bad days, If you work, be careful, Nothing you can do, I get migraines on top. I get idiots walking up to me " how is your rash?" "how is your headache?" :-) Jeez you would think people have nothing to do. I hope you are not in to too much discomfort today?

To take part, sign in or register with us