Swimming and swimwear

Posted Mon 7 Aug 2017 21.40 by Jillltmr

I have had psoriasis since I was 8 I am now 54. I really want to go swimming but my psoriasis is on my arms kegs body. Anyone know what I can wear to cover up without looking stupid

Posted Tue 8 Aug 2017 15.22 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

If you want to swim here in the UK in a chlorinated pool, then if you are like me the chlorine will aggravate the P. However, if you want to swim in the warm sea water aboard, then the salt and sun will definitely improve your P, so to hell with what other people think and get that sun absorbed :thumbup:

Posted Thu 14 May 2020 21.16 by EllieRae95

hi I'm 25 and have had psoriasis since I was born. My gone from pomphlyx psoriasis to the scaly skin. When I go on holiday no swimsuit helps. It brings up a red swollen outline of the suit which itchys,hot to touch and is super sore It looks as thought I've burnt myself. Does anyone know where I can get swimwear that won't do this do me as i have 2 guge holidays planned and I'm a water baby!

Posted Thu 5 Nov 2020 18.12 by Jane

Hi Ellie I am a swim teacher and l am in the water 5 days a week for around 3.5 hours for 3 of the days and 4 for the other 2, l have been doing this since 2010 & have found if the costume is tight it rubs the skin which then causes problems. I would get the size up and see how that helps, l have also found the looser your clothes the less itching you will do. Jane

Posted Sat 14 Nov 2020 00.43 by marcie

I’ve taught swimming for about 15 years, in the water, and lifeguarded the whole time too. I find it gets drier, but less visible in the water. You can however buy barrier creams for swimming which will keep your skin moisturised and these do help!

To take part, sign in or register with us