Accutane a trigger for Psoriasis? - Urgent advice needed!

Posted Thu 14 Oct 2021 22.16 by Bentley101

glcostanza: I am definitely interested in collaborating. I am certain there are doctors out there that can attest to a correlation between accutane and psoriasis. We just will need to research some more.

Posted Fri 15 Oct 2021 00.51 by glcostanza (edited Fri 15 Oct 2021 00.51 by glcostanza)

Bentley101: Ok, great. I have been looking into this. Keep me posted if you find a doctor that can attest; this part is the most key but also hardest part. (If anything happens on my end, I'll post here.) Thank you very much and good luck.

Posted Sun 17 Apr 2022 11.16 by sevvalg

Hello, I had this bad experience, like many of you. My age is 25 now. I had been always suffering with acne problems in my adolescence. No matter what i did, it wouldn't get better. Then i heard of that miraculous acne drug named accutane/roaccutane, 7 years ago. I told the doctor that I want to use it and i started my treatment. In the 2nd month of my treatment, small psoriatic lesions occurred on my hair, arms and legs. I had sometimes dandruff problem on my hair before i used zoretanin but not psoriasis. My face was healing but my body was worsening. I interrupted my treatment after i talked about it to the doctor. I was hoping that if i stop using it, lesions may dissappear. But that didn't happen. Psoriasis is with me for years and will be. I am trying to control it by using medicines in cream form and lotion. I'm sunbathing as much as possible. Sometimes it gets intense and sometimes it calms down. It is truly a devastating disease, both physically and mentally. I hope that, one day there will be a permanent cure for this disease. In most sources, it is said that accutane can be good for psoriasis. I (agree with many of you) would like to say that people should know that accutane type drugs may have a connection with psoriasis. In fact, these drugs, which have too many side effects, should never be used unconsciously and their side effects shouldn't be ignored. When I saw this site and realized that there are people who have the same problem as me, I was both very sad and happy. The reason why I am happy is that we can raise awareness about this issue. Note: Sorry for my bad english. Loves to all from Turkey. :D

Posted Fri 22 Apr 2022 02.56 by Mary1968

Well accutane certainly has side effects, one of them being rashes on the body. However, you say you were very stressed, and stress is a massive trigger for psoriasis flares.

Posted Thu 16 Jun 2022 20.49 by AG2021 (edited Thu 16 Jun 2022 21.01 by AG2021)

Bentley101 and glconstanza, and everyone else, did you take any steps into the process? I just found this thread and signed up for the sole purpose to join the idea if you’re still on it. I have been prescribed Roaccutane in May 2021. The ridiculous part is that I was not even battling any severe acne, I was just having some stubborn pimples under my chin for the first time in my life (most probably caused by wearing the face mask), my skin on both face and body has always been clean and dry, I have not had a pimple even when I was a teenager. Now at the age of 35 I got them only under the chin for a few months and went to see a dermatologist. He put me on roaccutane and was very reassuring. I was explained that it is normal that my skin would become even more dry during the months on roaccutane (including my scalp) and that it would then go back to normal once I’d stop it. Well my scalp went super dry in a scary way, and even though I brought it to my dermatologist’s attention in one of the follow-ups, he said that was still normal. I stopped roaccutane after 4 months, as by end of August I was already picking up dry thick scales from my scalp. I continued waiting patiently for it to “go back to normal” as promised, but that never happened, it only kept getting worse. On top of that, by end of November it crawled down on my arms, abdomen and groin area. December and January was a battle of my own with this unknown to me disease at that time, till I lost hope in Feb and ran back to the clinic. The biopsy confirmed psoriasis diagnose. I’ve lost count how many topical ointments and creams I applied since then, yet I keep losing healthy surface on my skin, and my scalp is now 90% covered with psoriasis, and there is no untouched area on my body anymore, with most of it on my back. I’m now being prescribed Taltz injections, which I’m terrified to take, since its purpose is to take my immunity defense down. I’m afraid I’ll end up with something even worse, same scenario as when I agreed to take Roaccutane for some minor acne. My life quality has dropped considerably due to the fact that I cannot let a single day pass without having my hair full of greasy ointments to stop the scalp skin from cracking to pieces. Followed by infinite washing off process next day. Not to mention the rest of my body. I’m just desperate by now and super scared to make another mistake by taking another dangerous medicine such as Taltz. I regret big time the day I agreed to take Roaccutane! Bottom line - PSORIASIS should be listed as a VERY POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECT OF ACCUTANE! It just destroyed my life.

1 Posted Thu 16 Jun 2022 21.32 by Bentley101

AG2021, I am 26 and my skin is off an on bad for the most part. I can’t ever feel confident after a haircut. I am afraid to take anything else as well because I’ve lost faith in medicine. I hope it doesn’t get worse for us all. Even if we have a lawsuit, it won’t ever give us normal skin I feel like. I already struggled with depression and its gotten to the point I barely eat, I don’t even feel motivation to do anything. I don’t know what to do anymore.

Posted Thu 16 Jun 2022 23.42 by Shaunpaulheretohelp (edited Thu 16 Jun 2022 23.44 by Shaunpaulheretohelp)

Hi I’ve struggled with P since being 16 I’m 27 now, last year a lady Over the road suggested omega 3 capsules!!!GOOD FOR TOUR HEART BRAIN IMMUNE SYSTEM AND SKIN TRY IT!!! And meditation at night time, breath to love it, love it and it will go away, also ENSTILAR of the doctors is really really good!!!!! It’s a spray on steroid cream works miracles! Watch what you eat? Drink water have a simple diet be healthy, stay away from soft skin veg and spicy… peppers and tomatoes. God bless you all ! It’s horrible I know!! But you can do it! Stop being lazy and do it! And inflammatory foods are bad! Your gut does not want it! Learn to love your self I was depressed for years and use to hide it away get in the sun! It works miracles! Don’t hide away scratching or itching get out in the sun and get healthy! And it will go! Trust me! Take omega 3 capsules 1000mg! Everyday and stick to it!!!! Take other vitamins to help your gut also! You can do it. DO IT!!!! Xxxx

Posted Thu 16 Jun 2022 23.49 by Shaunpaulheretohelp

Bentley101 tell your doctor you want to try ENSTILAR, a spray on steroid cream for hair and skin, and thank me later!!! Also get a put in the sun and eat healthy food for non infamiltoury being depressed and stressed makes it worse!!! BE HAPPY!!! Love who you are!!!!!! And it will go!!!!!!!! TRUST ME and take omega 3 1000mg fish oil capsules!!!!! That is important! Come on you got this bro

Posted Thu 16 Jun 2022 23.54 by Shaunpaulheretohelp

STOP BEING STRESSED PEOPLE! LOVE IT!!! Take omega 3 cod liver oil 1000mg IMPORTANT! For SKIN brain hair and heart ❤️ ASK YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU CAN TRY ENSTILAR it is BRILLIANT!! Once it starts working don’t stop using it… keep using it. EAT PROPERLY! Stay away from spicy, and soft skin veg like peppers tomatoes, your immune system hates it!!! Have a simple diet! You can still enjoy treats! GET HEALTHY!!! Eat properly it’s your body! Do not sit in the house like I did for 2 years all summer get out in the sun!!! Do exercise start to love your self and be happy don’t be stressed and I’m telling you NOW IT WILL GO. TRUST THE PROCESS PEOPLE XOXOX

Posted Mon 6 Feb 2023 11.10 by Cristian R (edited Mon 6 Feb 2023 11.29 by Cristian R)

Hey guys. I also believe roaccutane had an effect on triggering my p. I was 17 and I took some of the roaccutane that my sister was taking. Only took them for a month or so but after a few months my p start showing on my scalp. If any class action, I’m interested. I want to share some info for the people struggling. Guys, I was in bad condition about 11 years ago. Like some of you, I had p everywhere, and it was very hard. I was contemplating suicide just because I could’n see a way out. But it took me couple of years, and my skin got much much better. Nowadays, I have very very few small patches of p. I have a wife, and I face a normal life! You can do it to I promise. You need to get off corticosteroids VERY SLOWLY. I suggest the steroid cream that works for you ( dermovate is mine) and use it less and less and less, until you get cleaner and you can even skip days. 1 small tube lasts me 2 years now. Your body is addicted to corticosteroids, you need to reduce them considerably but slowly, in the course of couple of months. If you do it right away, your skin will get very bad. Do it SLOWLY, in phases. Doctors are stupid at this part… Eat chicken breast, rice, green salads, eggs, lean pork, sweet potatoes, avocado, olives, plant base yogurt maybe. Probiotics are important!Try to find the food triggers. Don’ eat nightshades! Pause on alcohol and tabacco. Take omega 3, vit d, and other vitamins in general. It will take time, but eventually, doint ALL the things I discussed, your skin will get much better. Use gentle shampoo, baby shampoo, nothing that dries skin. If you life in a dry climate, use body and face cream! Sun and sunbeds alwAys help. Consider buying a uv-b lamp for psoriasis 311nm(, it’s great for house treatment ( it costs around 300$, check google). Don’t use it more than couple of minutes on 1 part, it might burn. Or go to sun tan. Don’t over expose to uv light, you don’t want to burn the skin!! Please read this message multiple times. Try to not stress and take everything slowly. It will take you probably couple of years until you will understand your p better, and many years until you will beat it and learn the triggers. Be consistent and you’ll get out of it stronger. Please read Dr. Pagano - Healing Psoriasis.

Posted Mon 27 Mar 2023 20.28 by Mona21

My heart breaks while reading this thread but provides me With some insight. After moving to college( location with cold dry winters), my son’s new dermatologist recommended Accutane treatment for his acne. suggested him light dose of 10mg increased to 20mg. . After 4 months of treatment his body started developing lesions on elbows. It took 3-4 months to get out of it. Later learnt that Asians are not good candidates for accutane and This year again he had a relapse of the same in winters same time as last year but on full body. He is still dealing with it . He saw another dermatologist who recommended several supplements like zinc/ omega3/ D3 and multivitamins and applying tacromolius I always suspected Accutane as it causes severe dryness . But it is not mentioned anywhere in accutane side effects. Dangerous medicine. Should be used with lot of caution. It is being distributed like a candy to teenagers and lot of promise and no warnings. Looking for some hope..

Posted Mon 23 Oct 2023 14.27 by FryaMM

Can you write the dosage too, because according to my knowledge the dosage makes the difference, in which low dose Isotretinoin could have therapeutic effects against some types of psoriasis (like sebopsoriasis ) according to researches while higher dose can provoke the disease, I myself about to start using it at low dose for my sebopsoriasis

To take part, sign in or register with us