Helping to stop the itch....................

Posted Mon 16 Oct 2017 17.53 by Andrew1
I was diagnosed with the condition in 2007.

Hi everyone out there I am currently using Biologics - Humira - and at the moment the itch is worse than ever. A friend of mine has recommended VIRGIN COCONUT OIL - you can get it at any supermarket. Nothing in there but pure natural oil. Rub some in your plaques - it does help - didnt believe it myself - but it does help. !!! Make sure it is virgin coconut oil as it is pure oil with no additives that aggrivate your skin See how it goes and let me know ..............spread the word..........I have put it on after bathing when the skin is warm and receptive. Hemp oil is another option - havent tried it yet - has anyone else - if you have let me know - as I want to try that as well - anything to ease the itching of dry skin. Andrew.

Posted Tue 17 Oct 2017 08.57 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

Hi Andrew. I saw your post yesterday evening and happened to have some extra virgin coconut oil in the fridge (for baking). I tried it on my arms before going to bed and it completely soothed my usual itch (and burning caused by UVB phototherapy). I used my standard moisturiser (Cetraben) on my legs and torso which obviously helps with dryness, but doesn't help much with burning and itching. This morning I showered with my standard moisturiser (Cetraben) as usual, then applied extra virgin coconut oil to my arms and legs after drying off. They feel great. Tomorrow I'll try it on my torso, which is my most sensitive part, and let you know how it goes. Good find, and thanks for sharing!

Posted Tue 17 Oct 2017 14.17 by Andrew1
I was diagnosed with the condition in 2007.

Ivor Glad to hear that it is helping anything to stop that damn itching. Hemp oil and cream is also very good apparently, has omega 3 and 6 in which is good for our skin....you can get it in Lush. Not sure of the price but well worth it. Keep me posted about the coconut oil and when I use the hemp oil I will post on here on how it is going - glad to hear though that I have helped a fellow sufferer. Andrew.

Posted Sat 21 Oct 2017 08.45 by Idy (edited Sun 22 Oct 2017 14.37 by Idy)
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

D'oh! After a few days of using coconut oil, I decided to switch back to my standard moisturiser (Cetraben). I felt that although coconut oil did initially sooth the itch, it didn't moisturise much. I tried using it on top of my moisturiser, but that didn't help much. Now to endure the three month wait until my first appointment for biologics...

To take part, sign in or register with us