How to use phototherapy??

Posted Wed 18 Oct 2017 10.29 by KT416

Hello, I am a student from Wakefield and am writing a report on the treatments and developments of psoriasis. I wanted to know what best ways to use phototherapy, which types of phototherapy are more successful, when it is best to use it for certain people or stages of their psoriasis. Additionally whether or not it has benefitted your psoriasis. Also if it has helped or damaged other parts of your body from using phototherapy. Any information will be more than useful. Thank you.

Posted Sat 21 Oct 2017 08.26 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

In 2011 I was covered almost entirely from my neck to my ankles with plaque psoriasis (although the plaques were joined together so it was difficult to tell it was plaque psoriasis!). Methotrexate didn't help at all, and Ciclosporin only had a very limited effect. In 2012-13 I had 12 weeks of UVB phototherapy (continuing to take Ciclosporin) and it cleared me entirely. I was left with very pale skin where my psoriasis was, but I didn't care about that, and it got back to it's normal colour eventually anyway. Over the next four years, I largely remained clear with only a very small number of patches coming back which could be controlled using steroid and vitamin-D analog creams. In June this year, it spread like crazy and once again I'm covered almost entirely from neck to ankles. After 3 weeks of UVB phototherapy, I let me consultant know that my psoriasis felt like it was burned and continued to be sore and itchy (which is odd because I didn't encounter any problems during my first course in 2012-13). He stopped my treatment and referred be for biologic treatment starting at the end of January 2018. I hope this info is useful, but let me know if you have any questions.

Posted Wed 1 Nov 2017 10.53 by KT416

Thank you for your reply. This has been really useful. Hope your psoriaisis can be cleared using the Biologic treatment. Good luck to the future.

To take part, sign in or register with us