Psoriasis has had an impact on my self-esteem

Posted Fri 17 Nov 2017 23.15 by puri81
I have psoriasis on my hands and wrists, as well as it largely affecting my hairline, around the back of my neck and ears. I've suffered shi

Hi there, I'm new to this site so please bear with me. I've always suffered some form of skin issue. I had shingles at 19, pityriasis rosea and psoriasis. Over the last few years I've had it develop on my hair line, ears and neck. I can't tie my hair back, I can't get my hair cut short. It's so obvious and I always worry what people will think when they see it. Will they think it's contagious? Doesn't bother my husband but I know it's stress related. Having 2 under 4 year old boys and working really stresses me, as well as other factors in my life. I guess joining this forum helps me understand I'm not alone. Thanks for reading.

Posted Sat 18 Nov 2017 13.27 by Joxx

Hi I'm really sorry your going through this, it's not fair on any of us, I still suffer from psoriasis behind my ears and down the back of my neck and everywhere really but it started in my scalp and within a few months my scalp was covered my hair couldn't breathe and just snapped and I lost a lot of it so have quite short thin hair now, but I can honestly say after all the oils and creams the only thing that worked is sorion shampoo from amazon , quite expensive but was worth it for me, it helped a lot x

Posted Mon 20 Nov 2017 09.49 by jojo17

Hi, does anyone know what the tv advert is about? The one with man on beach saying he wants to be free from psoriasis? Then it says be clear go see your GP ?

Posted Mon 20 Nov 2017 09.56 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

Posted Today 9.49am by jojo17 "Hi, does anyone know what the tv advert is about? The one with man on beach saying he wants to be free from psoriasis? Then it says be clear go see your GP ?" I have not seen that one .. which channel was it shown on?

Posted Fri 24 Nov 2017 01.13 by morbid snails

Hi, I've just found these forums. I've had psoriasis since childhood. I'm just hoping to find people to chat with. I'm a 46 year old man, I've been single for almost 20 years because of my skin, I'm not a bad looking man with my clothes on :)

Posted Fri 24 Nov 2017 12.57 by jojo17

Hi,,that's a long time to be single..I've had this curse on/off since childhood too.

Posted Fri 24 Nov 2017 19.10 by Mila

Hi All, My advise is to stop relying on GPS who are general practitioners sitting behind a desk. You need to get a dermatologist who is part of the British association of dermatology. The ads are all over magazines and papers and I think it’s because we do not talk to our doctors after one treatment we give up. If you think about it treatments have come a long way since I got Psoriasis last 7 years and everyone is different we have to get a good dermatologist for me I went private and he is brilliant so it’s managable now. Some days in bad but it’s more mental then anything.

Posted Sat 25 Nov 2017 16.44 by jojo17

That's good advice,thanks. Is it expensive going private? Because I haven't seen a dermatologist in years and I know it's a long wait to see 1. Could be anything from 3-9 months.

Posted Sat 25 Nov 2017 17.06 by Mila

Hi Jo Jo no not at all it’s worth going private for me it cost me £175 and then follow up which is optional £140 the dermatologist the one I see is 2 hours away from me but he was recommended to me by my MD who had bad psoriasis and it’s be 10 years plus all his psoriasis has gone. I still have a small amount but I trust Dr Shuttleworth he used to head of British associatation of dermatology. I would highly recommend him only thing is he is in Colchester oaks hospital. For me he does not want me to use steroids on my body and it’s worked only place I use a steriod is down below but it’s very mild and under control. I have my bad days but If I had relied on doctors I probably would have had it all over my body. If you want his details I can give them on here?

To take part, sign in or register with us