Psoriasis at a young age

Posted Mon 20 Nov 2017 20.45 by Jade Couzens

I don’t really know what to say but I would like to speak to young people that are going through psoriasis at a young age and not think I’m alone. I’m 22 now and been living with psoriasis for over a year, I haven’t had one day that it has cleared up. My whole body is covered from head to toe, I’ve been using creams for the past year and they haven’t worked. I’ve been advised to start taking tablets but they have big side affects. Are taking tablets my best thing for me to do?

Posted Mon 20 Nov 2017 22.15 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

My first clash with the dreaded P was at 22 and I'm now 74 and still engaged in the struggle with the horrid infliction. I have experienced periods of remission but the rotter returns after a while to smite me as soon as I relax and look in another direction. I am now taking prescribed Otezla for P + PA with tendonitis and it's working wonders like I am in an extended remission period :thumbup:

Posted Thu 23 Nov 2017 22.11 by EQ

Hello Jade, I’m 21 at the moment but had psoriasis since I was 13. Mine went from manageable to taking over when just after I turned 18. Since then I have tried Methotrexate and Ciclosporing but now funded by the NHS to self inject a biological drug called Humira. To be honest I was so low at points that I can’t go a day without a break down and feeling so self conscious, it’s been a ride over the last 3 years with finding the right meds that would help but honestly, you need to weight up the side effects to how your daily life is effected. For me I couldn’t cope and in all fairness I haven’t really suffered many side effects from the medications at all (I am very grateful!). The only medication I had a ‘bad’ effect with was Methotrexate but it didn’t effect me, it just starting to effect my liver and the hospital were very good and took me straight off it and on to Ciclosporin. You are very closely monitored on these drugs and any changes the hospital will act on, same as if you experience really bad side effects they will too! Hope you find what suits you best, if you have any other questions, just ask!!

To take part, sign in or register with us