Stopping methotrexate

Posted Wed 3 Jan 2018 12.12 by olivermorgan
I have had psoriasis since I was 9.

Hi I've been on methotrexate for more than a year and it has worked well. I stopped for a week over Christmas - with no flare up or anything - and, having started again, I've noticed that I am feeling a bit unwell (a headache, tiredness). Anyway, I think I have had this, midweek, for ages without consciously noticing it - I only realised because I felt better last week! I am thinking of stopping... does anyone have any experience of this. I know a flare-up is possible (even likely) - is there anything to mitigate it? I am not due to see my dermatologist for a few months - but I don't think I want to wait that long!! Thanks!

Posted Wed 3 Jan 2018 12.57 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

Ask your GP/consultant to run a trial of Otezla on you. I've been on it for nearly a year and the improvement over metho has been astounding ... the dreaded P. P related arthritis and tendonitis/swollen joints have all reduced to surprisingly low levels :thumbup:

Posted Wed 3 Jan 2018 13.05 by olivermorgan
I have had psoriasis since I was 9.

I must admit I have never heard of Otezla! I'll mention it to my consultant...

Posted Sat 17 Mar 2018 14.21 by Maureen

I had to come off methotrexate after 2 years due to severe side effects and liver damage. Now trying to find something that will work with my simponi injections

Posted Sat 31 Mar 2018 19.17 by gmoore3110
Psoriasis sufferer since I was 14

I stopped methotrexate about 4 weeks ago after being on it for 3 years. It worked well, but I wanted to stop and try to control it with topical treatment again. My face, neck and scalp have flared up massively and even the tacrolimus doesn’t seem to work anymore. I’m trying a new diet/lifestyle change plan from a book called Radiant which has had some great results from other users. I hope it works because I’m not really sure where else to turn!

To take part, sign in or register with us