Nail damage

Posted Sun 14 Jan 2018 17.05 by Stacy

Good Morning I have been struggling with toe nail damage from my psoriasis. I was diagnosed with psoriasis when I was 13 years old, from an examination of my nails and suffer from scalp psoriasis. My nails on my feet have recently become a more significant problem. I have had 3 toenails dislodge and I am hoping someone can let me know if they have a similar problem. I am an RN and really do not want to take oral medication, but need to find another way to manager this problem. I appreciate any feedback someone may have.

Posted Mon 15 Jan 2018 17.30 by Mark

My toe nails improved significantly after i started taking vitamin D supplements to correct a vitamin D deficiency.

1 Posted Mon 22 Jan 2018 03.11 by KateS2009

I have recently been diagnosed with nail psoriasis although I have suffered from extremely dry, crumbly nails for several years. After doing some reading I have decided to try a natural treatment of 1 part Indian Neem oil mixed with 4 parts carrier oil (such as coconut or hemp) combined with a UV lamp normally used in nail salons for drying gel nail varnish. I’m hoping the anti bacterial, anti inflammatory and moisturising properties of the oil and the UV light will help my nails and nail beds. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Posted Thu 25 Jan 2018 06.22 by pthr1985

I have also suffered from terrible nail psoriasis on one foot that has since become fungal. My dermatologist prescribed terbinafine - a strong oral anti-fungal medication that is hard on the liver...so no alcohol. However, my main reservation about using it is it is clinically proven to exacerbate psoriasis, or even instigate it in those that did not have it before.

Posted Sat 3 Feb 2018 07.08 by makayla10

I suffer from nail psoriasis on my fingernails. It sucks!! I’ve had nails fall off and look completely deformed. I’m absolutely terrified to go to nail salons cause they look at me in disgust. Have you found anything to help ?

Posted Sat 3 Feb 2018 10.15 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

I use prescription psoriasis scalp liquid on my nails..it clears up my nails in a week.

Posted Sat 3 Feb 2018 17.34 by Stacy

Hi Mark, Thank you for the feedback. Taking Vitamin D may help. I will give that a try. Stacy

Posted Sat 3 Feb 2018 17.37 by Stacy

Hi ClearskinPlS, I have never thought of applying my clobetasol oil to my toenails. I think after dealing with this condition for over 35 years, I just gave up. I always enjoyed having pedicures but now I barely bump a chair and I lose a nail, so it has been so long that I enjoyed that. Thank you for the feedback.

Posted Tue 28 May 2019 17.00 by taoka

Hi, I've got nail psoriasis and I wonder if anyone has good experience with using UVB lamp normally used in nail salons for drying gel nail varnish.

Posted Wed 29 May 2019 16.51 by Artist72

I have nail psoriasis alongside psoriasis everywhere..... after many years with one hospital trust practically untreated- I moved to another hospital and have had some fantastic treatments. UVB light treatment cleared it- but it came back as soon as treatment finished . I’m on ciclosporin which I Love!!!! But I am nearing the time where I have to come off it.... I also have gel nails put on as much as I can- it strengthens the nails and makes them look better... I know from my treatment that nails and scalp are the most difficult to clear.... my finger nails are controlled by ciclosporin and gels... I haven’t done anything about my toe nails, which crumble etc etc but I’m going to try and gel those too and see if it works on those... More than anything the thickness of the gel varnish stopped me from scratching the plaques before ciclosporin cleated it all up....

To take part, sign in or register with us