Psoriasis and Terbinafine (oral Lamasil)

Posted Thu 25 Jan 2018 06.28 by pthr1985

Hi, My dermatologist recently diagnosed, what I thought was nail psoriasis on all toes on my left foot, as a fungal infection called onychomycosis. She prescribed oral Terbinafine (brand name, Lamasil), which is a strong anti-fungal medication and particularly hard on the liver. As a result, alcohol must be eliminated. However, my main concern with this treatment is the fact that it is clinically proven to exacerbate psoriasis, a potential adverse reaction that my dermatologist told me about. Having been pretty much 99% clear for some time, I am reluctant to even risk it. However, I would love to be rid of my unsightly toenails. Has anybody had any experiences with this medication that they can share? Thanks

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 13.58 by Rhiannon94

I was put on this last week for my toenails, my psoriasis isn't too bad apart from the odd flare up. A week into taking this I've noticed a few small patches pop up, nothing I can't cope with, but I will have to keep an eye on it and if it gets any worse then I'll have to go back to the doctors and see about a different treatment

Posted Mon 2 Jul 2018 14.06 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Many medical treatments have side-effects. Sometimes you have to try to balance what bothers you or reduces your quality of life the most - the particular condition you want to treat now, or the potential side effect of the treatment. If you are seriously concerend, have you asked your dermatologist about any alternative treatments for the toenails? There are topical treatments but I understand they can take up to 12 months, or even longer, to be effective.

To take part, sign in or register with us