Taking Acitetrin

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 11.31 by Moongirl

Hi, another newbie to the forum. I have had scalp psoriasis for 15 years and managed to ignore it until it got really bad and has spread onto my face,. Dr at the hospital has categorised it as severe and wants me to take Acitetrin. He wants me to read up about it before I decide and I thought that the best way to find out was to ask the people who also have these symptoms. Would rather go down a holistic route but need advice please.

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 12.14 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

Hi Acitretin takes months to kick in..why haven't you been prescibed Calcipotiol or Betacap? Sorted my scalp out in 7 days... I would ask

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 12.35 by ClearskinPls

These are liquids that you can rub into your scalp....very easy no side affects

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 12.53 by Moongirl

Sorry, I didn't explain very well. Have had Betacap and Sebco now for a couple of years. Starts to clear and then fights back worse than ever. Reluctant to take any tablets and grateful that you are trying to help. Would rather start down a better dietary route than feed myself systemic chemicals. Have you tried Acitetrin?

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 13.01 by ClearskinPls

Dietry may work. But its a nice idea...and yes I agree internal medication has many side affects. Maybe just up your vitamin d consumptions...I think that helped my scalp

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 13.03 by ClearskinPls

Aceterin can have side affects...so research is useful

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 13.14 by Moongirl

Thanks for the advice. Lots to read before I go back to "Boris" Dr's name. He didn't want to listen about my desire to get good advice for self help. Seemed too eager to shovel tablets down me and move onto next patient/target.

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 13.22 by Stacy

Good Morning, I have had scalp psoriasis since I was 13 and used phototherapy and several different tar shampoos, with minimal results. I have been using clobetasol propionate oil, but only when I have an exacerbation, and it tends to help. I have psoriasis that moved to my cheek and have used it there sparingly. Have you used topical oils already? My psoriasis covers my scalp, but my doctor didn’t classify it as severe. I try to manage it today with ultraviolet light, managing my stress, a healthy diet, and believe it or not salt water in the summer ( whenever) helps me control it. This medication has many side effects, although I have never tried it, I did review them. It is a vitamin A medication and may lead to hair loss. I would consult with another doctor, just my opinion, prior to starting a new medication. I wish you well.

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 13.46 by Moongirl

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. My gp has been useless and never reviewed my situation or changed my treatment for the few years that I have been to them. When I went to see him I had to suggest a hospital appointment and then he said that he would have to consult his superior ax they normally on referred people who had psoriasis on their body. So, have never known about ultraviolet light treatment and don't know about the clonetasol that you mentioned. My main problem is that I feel guilty for bothering them with something that is not as bad as lots of other people. Really helps to share this and I will certainly look up the treatments that you mention and maybe shout a little louder in future. So grateful 😊

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 18.35 by ClearskinPls

Your doctor sounds like he/she is overworked and not committed or even interested in your situation. My advice would be 'Change your GP practice' he/she sounds like an idiot Also never feel guilty seeing a GP most are good and great, but some are idiots Thats life

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 18.37 by ClearskinPls

Moongirl, We all pay our taxes Get what you deserve

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 18.45 by ClearskinPls

Its easy to change practices and find a good GP

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 18.56 by Moongirl

Thanks for the advice. They are a training practice where nearly qualified docs work with more experienced. The problem is that you rarely get to see someone with experience and the trainees come and go on a regular basis. Up to me to speak out I think. Already realise that I am being too humble and need to get better service. Chatting on here clarifies the situation.

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 19.04 by ClearskinPls

Training docs dont always make the grade... Do some research and look for alternatives...its easy for me...im based In London...plenty of choice for me although im very happy with my GP I do suggest you look and find a proper qualified GP

To take part, sign in or register with us