being on methotrexate

Posted Thu 1 Feb 2018 12.20 by jade

hello, ive not long started methotrexate tablets, havnt had any side effects yet but my skin is flairing up more? can you use my normal ointment that i always used before being on these tablets? as i know you cant use other meds but i wanna still put my cream on is that allowed as such? would ask my doctor but been so much and cant afford the time off work to ask him one more question.... if anyone could advise at all... or anything that has worked for them? ive had psorasis most of my life and its only recently ive thought to actaully do something about it and maybe the stress is making it flair up more? unsure... unsure if i doing anything right ..... Thanks for reading anyways :)

Posted Fri 2 Feb 2018 17.53 by new to it

hi stress is definitely a cause for flair-ups; as for methotrexate - i was on it for a few months and it did not help at all ; starting now something else. good luck! I am sure others more experienced will answer shortly

Posted Sat 3 Feb 2018 21.05 by bunnylover

I started methotrexate in September, 6x2.5mg tablets, now up to 8 tablets and the best advice from the nhs was cope with the pain.out of hours dr wont even see me, I was told to ride the pain waves even though I have terrible shivers

Posted Sun 4 Feb 2018 21.58 by andrea
have had p for too many years

hi I have been on 17.5 mg methotrexate for about 18 months as 15mg did nothing this is so much better now I have only 10% small spots and I use dovobet on those. Give the mtx a few months and if no improvement ask to go up a few mg . I had to insist on an increase or take me off it so my dermatologist gave in. I also have two folic acid the day after. I use zerodouble moisturiser which is good and comes in a large bottle from my GP. I also have monthly blood test but my iron was extremely low so I had 600mg iron tablets each day for a couple of months and I felt so much better as I was extremely tired and though it was the mtx side effects. I wish you success with your mtx. :)

Posted Thu 15 Feb 2018 04.25 by Natasha

I was on methorexate for 3 years. My body went from 80% covered in psoriasis to 80% clear in 6 weeks. My dermo admitted though that it worked abnormally quick and well for me. I Had maybe 4-5 flare ups during the 3 years by going down dosages but was quickly calmed down by going back up to 25mg

Posted Thu 15 Feb 2018 07.52 by new to it

was on it for about 3 mos and had to top as blood exams showed teh inflammation continues to rise despite the med; but i do remember a worsening of the pain and flair-ups fro teh first 3 weeks then it subsided a bit ;

Posted Sun 18 Feb 2018 22.35 by Liz

Try asking for a phone referral with your doctor or talk to your pharmacist. My pharmacist is brilliant, she has all my prescriptions on file and is probably more knowledgeable than the gp on any adverse reactions mixing meds can have. Good luck.

To take part, sign in or register with us