Phototherapy /UV - Private - Help please

Posted Sun 11 Feb 2018 20.30 by Mila

Hi All, I went to see a private Dermotologist last week and he highly recommended me to have phototherapy as it is good for my skin condition. He was going to write to my doctors and when I spoke to my doctors looks like they don’t want to refer me (so I will be arguing this) but also I have heard waiting time is really long. I was wondering if anyone knows if we can have this done privately and how much the costs would be? I have to pay about £50 a session but I can’t seem to find much information on the internet. I do not have private medical insurance which again I will look into but also when I put in private phototherapy it talks about at home the treatments and this is not what I am after. I would so appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction? Thank you x

Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 13.31 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

Your nhs must refer you...ask for treatment.

Posted Sun 18 Feb 2018 01.33 by iamfugly

Hi Mila, you are right, waiting times are achingly long. I am currently waiting 3 months to begin PUVA treatment from referral and am still waiting. Experience with previous treatments have been approx 5 months wait from GP referral to starting treatment. I also tried to get PUVA on private (although I have private medical insurance) but unfortunately there were no private hospital within a 50 miles of me which had the facilities. If I were you I would certainly persist with trying to get private referral on nhs if there is facility near you but I would understand the reluctance of the nhs GP's to do so.

Posted Mon 19 Feb 2018 11.14 by Instantsmile

Hi we were unable to get an private treatment cost was 250 for consultant 80 x 30 per treatment this made no difference to waiting times many consultant said they could treatment but could not provide uvb . 1 year later we had NHS treatments in the mean time I bought a uvb light 1600 .this worked well . later we had the uvb treatment same effect but my wife got badly sunburnt . keep record of time we had max home treatment 4 min NHS 10 mins far to much .conclusion home treatment was more convenient and cheaper given time off work petrol parking

Posted Mon 19 Feb 2018 16.07 by ClearskinPls
Since 2001, tried uvb and creams

Uvb privately will cost a fortune. And didn't work for me, the sunburn is the problem, and my body just got fed up with it, so I stopped. However home treatment and your careful hopefully may work for you. Just a tip: the uvb tubes in the unit must be certified phillips tubes.

To take part, sign in or register with us