Methotrexate

Posted Sat 24 Feb 2018 16.28 by NigelV

Hi all I have just been prescribed Methotrexate for my psoriasis Just looking for some feed back on this drug Any do’s or dont’s

Posted Sun 25 Feb 2018 06.53 by wendy

Hi Nigel i also take Methotrexate for psoriasis i call it the toxic tab because it is taken once a week side effects headache feel a bit sick blood test every month checking your liver it did help for a short while i have been taking it for 10 years + but having a bad time at min my psoriasis is on my scalp i would stop taking it but worried what the outcome would be hope this helps you regards wendy.

Posted Thu 1 Mar 2018 20.17 by Dean831
Dean, 25, suffered with psoriasis all my life

Hi Nigel, I used to take methotrexate although it did help my psoriasis and I was nearly clear, it didn’t come without complications I kept getting ill with infections eventually my dermatologist took me off them, everyone responds differently and I hope it works well for you as I said I was basically clear and a lot happier. I will say since I stopped taking methotrexate my psoriasis has come back with avengance unfortunately specially on my face annoyingly.

Posted Sun 4 Mar 2018 17.29 by CLAIREALLENMARGATE
Im a 38yr old teacher working with challenging behavior

I had this and felt extremely sick on it i now use the injections and an on 3rd coure had no problems..

Posted Fri 9 Mar 2018 21.39 by joannejohnson3

Hi. I’ve been on methotrexate for 3 weeks now. No improvement in my skin yet. Feel tired, aching muscles, sickly and generally blah. Dermatologist what some to try it for ten weeks. But I don’t know if the side effects will improve as my body gets used to it?

Posted Fri 9 Mar 2018 21.49 by CLAIREALLENMARGATE

Is it the pill form?

Posted Fri 9 Mar 2018 21.56 by NigelV

Hi Claire Yes it is the pill form just coming to my third week at taking 10mg

Posted Fri 9 Mar 2018 22.01 by CLAIREALLENMARGATE

Hi yes i had the same problem after my 1st lot i asked for the injections there was no real improvement in my skin and felt sick all the time and now have had no nausea nothing with the injections and my skin is amazingly better .

1 Posted Fri 9 Mar 2018 22.06 by NigelV

Hi Claire Thanks for the feed back, it’s early days for me so fingers crossed

Posted Sat 10 Mar 2018 09.04 by Paigecooney

I’ve been on the methotrexate tablet since I was 13! I’m 20 now and have never had a bad side effect from it. I take it o a Friday ‘just in case’ but honestly this drug has worked wonders for me! The highest dose I’ve ever been on was 10mg where I was so young and its been reduced to 7.5mg, but I’ve gone from being covered head to toe in psoriasis to only having the odd patch!! My aunt however was on a much higher dosage and it didn’t clear her skin. She’s now on an injection one (can’t remember the name) and she’s responded a lot better. Everyone is different!

Posted Sat 10 Mar 2018 09.46 by CLAIREALLENMARGATE

Absolutely just find out what works for you methotrexate might not be the one you just got to find out and try things and dont be scared to ask your dermatologist to try a new medication

Posted Sun 11 Mar 2018 19.35 by She’s got perfect skin

Hi Nigel, (My first forum post, by the way. ) I hope it works for you. No major side effects for me. I take nine 2.5 mg once a week. With folic acid every day. Including mtx day. Taking so many tablets at once feels like serious medication still to the day. Been on it since 2006. Summers seem to be a flare time for me. Mtx doesn’t stop this. Flaring now. Stressful time is causing this I think. Ciclosporin also worked while I took it. Good luck and happy moisturising! Annmarie.

Posted Sun 11 Mar 2018 19.48 by CLAIREALLENMARGATE

Wow that long i was told i could only take it for 2 years max as it can severely effect the liver?

Posted Tue 20 Mar 2018 13.47 by Bisto1975

Hi All, I started on 10mg of Methotrexate 4 weeks ago, i take Folic Acid 2 days after the MTX. Thankfully I have had no side effects up to now but no improvement either with my Psoriasis. I suppose it is still early days.

Posted Sun 17 Jun 2018 10.36 by AmyT23

Hi All, I have recently commenced methotrexate treatment for psoriasis and arthritis. Just taken my 4th dose today. I know it’s early days but just wondering how long side effects are likely to last...well for those who have experienced side effects. I experience nausea but only a couple days of the week so that’s not too bad. However, I am really struggling with fatigue and starting to struggle to concentrate, keep up with work etc. I am also experiencing headaches and very tearful at the smallest things. Do side effects last as long as you are taking the medication? I know everyone is different, just curious to know if side effects lessened after time for anyone?

Posted Sun 17 Jun 2018 10.42 by CLAIREALLENMARGATE

How are you taking it pill or injection. Only going on my experience i had side effects tho whole time when i was taking the pill i did 24 weeks and said i couldnt take it any more so i got put on the injection and its 100% better and ive seen results quicker

Posted Sun 17 Jun 2018 11.04 by AmyT23

Thank you for replying to my query. I’m taking the tablets. They never mentioned the injection form. I’ve got my next consultant appointment in mid August so will see how I am between now and then. I don’t know if I am a bit stressed because of the side effects and the impact it is having on my work and day to day functioning.....that could be making me feel worse I suppose.

Posted Sun 17 Jun 2018 11.18 by CLAIREALLENMARGATE

Definitely mention the injection, i saw results within weeks i has both legs arms and scalp covered i now only have a piece the size of a 10p on each elbow. No side effects for me either. This obviously varies for everyone but i do believe u should try it

Posted Sun 17 Jun 2018 12.18 by AmyT23

Thank you. I will ask about it at my next appointment.

Posted Thu 23 May 2019 14.20 by Oliverd

Just started methotrexate two days ago skin extremely itching and very dry can't seem to calm the skin down with ointment also very sensitive to bright sunlight

To take part, sign in or register with us