Methotrexate

Posted Fri 16 Mar 2018 13.21 by Dmort

Hello there, newly diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and have just started meth, today just looking for info re how long side before side effect etc kick in and do they last the whole week before taking the next dose, just wondering what to expect. Thank you.

Posted Sun 18 Mar 2018 19.16 by Daniel-99

I didnt really have any side effects . But some do. Regular bloods are important . My liver function really spiked when I was on it

Posted Mon 19 Mar 2018 12.47 by Dmort

Thank you for reply. So far nothing that’s now 4 days so hopefully might be ok with it.

Posted Wed 28 Mar 2018 20.31 by Vickypalf

Hi, ive been injecting methetrexate for 5 years now with amazing results and little to no side effects. It really has been a ligr changer for me. Good luck with it!

Posted Thu 5 Apr 2018 16.44 by new to it

I had to stop it after 2.5 months because diarrhea wouldn't stop. it seems it did work on the joints and the swelling went down but did nothng for the psa, even worsened it a bit. I do know people fro whom it is a good med , though. good luck!

Posted Tue 10 Apr 2018 16.52 by Dmort

Thank you for your reply. That’s not so good for you. I hope you manage to get something that works better for you. I’m just four weeks in so far nothing much with side effects I am getting some headaches now but not sure if due to meth.

Posted Sat 5 May 2018 21.26 by Steph1989

Hi. I am to 4 weeks in to my methotrexate and I can say I haven't really seen a difference yet. Are you still taking yours? I would love to hear how you have been finding it, any success?? Steph

Posted Mon 7 May 2018 19.32 by Dmort

Hi Steph. Yes I am, thats prob about 8 weeks in now, and nothing much to see yet, having said that the swelling to my fingers had gone down by the time I started the meth, so still waiting, I was told it could take around 12 week before you really notice the difference. I have had no side effects so far and bloods all good so far. I’ll def carry on taking though for now. Good luck to you with your meds.

Posted Fri 11 May 2018 17.28 by Sheila54

I've been on methotrexate since December 2017 and apart from a small patch on my thigh and a couple of spots on my legs my skin is the clearest it has ever been in 50 yrs of having Psoriasis. I was covered last year after a bout of tonsillitis and my skin was awful the worst it had ever been. Methotrexate has been a life saver for me, didn't start seeing much results until about 3 months of taking it but it has got better and better, no side effects thank goodness🙏 Regular blood tests are vital though

Posted Fri 11 May 2018 19.04 by Dmort

That’s great news fingers crossed it keeps working so well for you. My psoriasis is very mild so not expecting to see much there but here’s hoping for my joints.

Posted Tue 15 May 2018 14.30 by Cazzy27

Hi. Having had ppp for over 6 years now I've tried just about everything. Cyclosporin has been great but I have to come off it soon. Having been turned down for biologics they want me to have methotrexate injections which I don't want. Previously I had the tablets with a few side effects and then they stopped working so I am reluctant to have the injections. Just wondered if anyone has tried both and which was better in their opinion.

Posted Tue 15 May 2018 21.48 by new to it

Cazzy27~why were you denied biologics?

Posted Tue 15 May 2018 22.21 by Cazzy27

They wanted me to go onto the drug Humira but it's not approved by NICE for PPP. Apparently there's not enough evidence that it helps. The other biologics that will help is Infliximab but this is expensive so not sure of my chances of getting that. I have an appointment tomorrow to see where I go from here. I'm on Cyclosporin at the moment but I only have one kidney which it's starting to affect so they want to take me off of that. Think biologics is my last hope.

Posted Sun 3 Jun 2018 18.48 by zer0her0
Had since early teens,I endure not suffer !

Didnt do it for me at all plus had side effects when taking it. Now on Acetetrin & its working wonders.

Posted Sun 3 Jun 2018 19.22 by Cazzy27

Oh really zerohero. Was that the injections or tablets? I tried Acetetrin but the side effects were horrid for me and it didn't work great either. I wish they could find a cure for this!

Posted Sun 3 Jun 2018 19.44 by zer0her0

It was tablets. Hated being on them. The only side effect with Acetetrin is dry lips which is easily solved with a lip balm. It doesnt make it disappear but I have zero scales when on it & my skin is 'flat' & only very slightly red.

Posted Sun 3 Jun 2018 20.14 by Cazzy27

Yes I also hated the tablets but I have been assured that the injections should suit me better so we will see! I haven't started on them yet but will post when I see how I get on. Hope the Acetetrin keeps working for you.

Posted Sun 3 Jun 2018 20.41 by zer0her0

Me too ! Thanks

Posted Thu 7 Jun 2018 21.12 by Vicky

Thanks for sharing - just started yesterday, so far so good - hope it works. Great encouragement.

Posted Thu 7 Jun 2018 21.21 by Cazzy27

Hi Vicky. Are you on Methotrexate tablets or injections?

To take part, sign in or register with us