Hairdressers, GP Referall!

Posted Mon 2 Apr 2018 10.03 by AbSue (edited Mon 2 Apr 2018 10.04 by AbSue)

Just had a phone call from the hairdressers. The manager requires a GP referral letter before they will cut my daughters hair. I have explained in person the situation, my daughter, who is 11, has scalp psoriasis that is slightly active at the moment. Previously she had a lot of hair loss and now she is ready for a hair cut to even her hair out. I am so angry to receive this phone call, I am right to be angry? Has anyone else experienced this?

Posted Mon 2 Apr 2018 13.42 by Stacy

I have never heard of a request from a GP for a haircut. Hair coloring could cause burning and irritation to the scalp, in which other products are available. However, a haircut does not effect the scalp. I personally think that that is BS and would take my child to another location. I have had psoriasis on my scalp since I was 13 years old. I think it is unfortunate that you and your daughter went through this experience, as it is hard enough to find someone when you have a skin issue like psoriasis. Find a new person who is displays more knowledge, and is professional is working with a client. Wish you and your daughter the very best. Stacy q

Posted Mon 2 Apr 2018 17.49 by AbSue

thanks Stacey. I am so livid as it is my own hairdressers who I explained everything to. never going back and I am going to forget to cancel the appointment ...

Posted Mon 2 Apr 2018 22.58 by jk76

Sounds to me like they don’t know enough about scalp psoriasis and just don’t want to cut her hair. I agree it’s BS and would go to another hairdresser. My hairdresser cuts my hair and my whole scalp is covered in psoriasis

Posted Mon 2 Apr 2018 23.41 by Glitterdust

I've had scalp psoriasis since 4, now 27 and this has never been a problem for me. I think you should just find a better, more understanding hairdresser these people don't deserve your money. I'm so sorry you've had this bad experience.

Posted Wed 11 Apr 2018 12.40 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

That is utterly appalling! Don't take your child there, the poor thing will be made to feel self conscious and embarrassed. If this happened to me I'd be naming and shaming - I've never had a hairdresser be anything other than sympathetic and kind, even when my scalp was bleeding and the robe literally covered in my flakes. That's no way to do business when you're in the industry of making people look and feel better about themselves. Maybe finding a hairdresser who can come to your home would be better?

To take part, sign in or register with us