Scalp psoriasis and betnovate

Posted Mon 16 Apr 2018 22.05 by Flame

Hi was diagnosed on Fri with scalp psoriasis and was given capasal and betnovate by doc. Read a few reviews of betnovate and a lot of people seem to say it's brilliant. I use it at night and in the morning but my head is still itchy, the shampoo seems to irritate it more. Anyone any tips!!!

Posted Fri 20 Apr 2018 16.16 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

Do you use anything to remove the flakes before apply Betnovate? Something like Cocois/Sebco (same thing, different brand names) will help loosen the scales and once you've combed/washed them out the betnovate will be able to get to the plaques easier. If you don't remove the scales the betnovate will only permeate the scaly flaky bit, not the skin underneath A lot of these things do itch and make your skin tight - I always think about it as effectively drying out the psoriasis. You could try following up with an oil treatment to sooth it afterwards? Coconut oil would be nice and gentle but takes a lot of washing out! Alternatively there are lots of dead sea products out there that might help. There are also products from Lush which are natural and not as clinical if you want to treat yourself a little - the staff are usually really friendly and understanding. You can search for Psoriasis on their website and it will pull up all the reviews that mention it so you can see what other people have used :) It's just trial and error I'm afraid, I hope you find something that works for you soon!

Posted Fri 20 Apr 2018 20.49 by Flame

Thanks for replying I don't really have flakes as such. I've been washibg my hair every night with capasol, brushing it then letting it dry naturally and this so far has seemed to help. Today's the first day I didn't use the betnovate and the itching hasn't stopped but been more bearable. I did try coconut oil on my scalp at the back which is where I have it and yes lol, took ages to wash out and not sure if it helped. I will continue what I'm.doing and see how it goes but may look into the lush stuff. Many thanks Vicky x

To take part, sign in or register with us