Just diagnosed with guttate psoriasis - how do I stop it getting worse?

Posted Mon 23 Apr 2018 12.35 by rach_1984

Hi, so I’ve just been diagnosed with this nasty stuff and I’m completely devastated! After having a sore throat a few weeks ago, I started with a rash and immediately went to my dr. Three appointments later the dr was still telling me they’ve no idea what it is but it’ll sort itself out eventually. I came home in floods of tears as it was getting worse everyday so I knew it wasn’t about to disappear on its own. My wonderful husband, after seeing the state I was in, rang round several private clinics and got me an appointment for last Thursday and he immediately diagnosed it as guttate psoriasis and he was certain of it after I’d told him I’d had a sore throat. Turns out I’d had strep throat ... something else my GP had failed to diagnose. I complained to my GP on Friday following the diagnosis and requested a referral for phototherapy, as advised by the private GP, and they are referring me but advised I would likely wait 6-8 weeks for a consultation and then a further wait for the treatment to start. I can’t afford to go private for the treatment sadly but I’m also struggling to cope with looking at the state of my body. A few weeks ago it was normal and now from my chest to my feet I’m covered in it and it’s getting worse everyday. What can I do between now and the treatment starting in what’s likely to be several months time? I stupidly decided to take advantage of the sun on Friday and sat in the garden whilst working from home thinking the sun might stop it from getting any worse but being a red head with fair skin I picked up a nasty sunburn instead! Please help.

Posted Mon 23 Apr 2018 15.59 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I came out in guttate psoriasis about 4 weeks ago, at 60 years old. I had plaque psoriasis all over my body in my final year of University 38 years ago, which virtually went away after 1-2 years, apart from intermittent patches on my elbows. I went to my GP this time and siad I thought I knew what these strange red spots were - as soon as he saw them he said "guttaer psoriaisis". I had suspected psoriasis but i knew they looked somewhat different that what I had suffered from at Uni. He immediately gave me a course of antibiotics, just in case I had an infection - he explained some infections that trigger this can be virtually symptomless. Half way throiugh the course the psoriais appeared to be fading, but then it accelerated with a vengence. The spots are all over my trunk and less so on my arms and legs, and feel like prickly heat rather than itching. But my scalp itches like mad. He also prescribed me Dovobet ointment to apply sparingly to the spots. It has steroid so cannot be simply slathered all over the skin, and should not be used on the face. He also prescriped Capasal shampoo (you can buy it in superdrug amongst other places), and Doublebase gel moisturiser. About the best thing you can probably do i to try and moisturise as much as you can - Doublebase is the best I know of. Sunlight is definitely beneficial to psoriasis BUT you should always avoid any risk of actual burning, as that skin damage can actually make the psoriasis outbreak worse. Do not be tempted to try commercial sunbeds. I recently had a hip replacement and also fell off a ladder hurting my neck and elbow, after the hip replacement. Guttate psoriasis can be triggered by an infection (eg strp throat) or by a trauma to the body. It is essentially a misdirected immune response (hence actual sunburn can make it worse). About 15 years ago I grazed my leg on a floor bord that gave way - as the damage healed it developed into a single small patch of psoriasis that persisted for about 6 months I have also bought Oilatum Shower-Gel (you can buy it or read about it on Amazon), which is actually an emollient treatment, not cleansing shower gel, and Oilatum bath oil. I have been using the shower-gel for a few days now and it certainly seems to be reducing the itching. Gutatte psoriasis will often/usually clear up spontaneously, but it could be after weeks, months or years. There is no actual cure. I was very lucky with my GP, he was familiar with the condition, and I have done a bunch reading on the subject since. I live alone so I struggle to treat my back - I am going back to my GP for a follow up in a couple of weeks and will ask him about a referral for phototherapy. For now I slather moisturiser as much as possible. There are several good websites with info including the NHS, and www.papaa.org. Good luck , Sorry I cannot suggest definitive help. Coal tar was a widely used treatment for psoriasis 40 years ago and is still in several preparations. When I had psoriaisis before I found that using Wrights Coal Tar Soap when I showered helped dramatically. BUT although you can still buy it - it no longer contains any actual coal-tar extract. That was removed from several over the counter preparations 10 or more years ago.

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.44 by lynno

I was diagnosed w guttate psoriasis about 3 weeks ago at 47 years old. To say I was devastated is an understatement. Turns out my first outbreak was at 38 years old and had no idea. I thought it was bedbugs back then b/c i was traveling and it was a mild case. This time around I am covered head to toe. So it does clear up and can stay dormant for years as in my case. I eat right, exercise, take care of myself and I am in the sun all the time. It could have helped all of these years. This time around I tested positive for strep before my outbreak. I was placed in phototherapy right away and will be coming up on a month. I do see small signs of improvement. Sun does work, but try not to burn. I am also struggling to like myself during this, and it's hard to look in the mirror. But I force myself to take pictures and tell myself I am beautiful despite. It will clear up eventually as I know from years ago (on its own). It takes months however. I am now rocking my cheetah spots. Weather is warmer and I said enough hiding! Keep in touch! L-

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 20.11 by LC

I had another throat infection last weekend and another flare on top of the last one. Am itchy all over and miserable. On my hands and feet now too so no where clear 😣😭

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 15.19 by lynno

Come on over to our newly formed FB group for more support! https://m.facebook.com/groups/375000316315644

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 19.48 by LC

Thanks Lynno but I can't open the link for some reason

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 21.28 by SMS

I have had guttate psoriasis since about the age of 10, I am now 26. I have had the UV light treatment twice, the last set of treatment being last February. I found my skin was completely clear for a couple of months and it started coming back. It is now manageable but I do have flare ups (right now it has flared up) I find my diet plays a big part in it and have been reading up about it a lot recently. If I drink alcohol I find it flares up quite a lot. I have just started a plant based diet to try and cleanse my gut and get more vegetables (I did this for a couple of weeks last year and noticed a big difference) Also the way I am feeling. I went on holiday in January, was so relaxed for 2 weeks and in the sun and my skin all over was completely clear. Since then it has been very up and down, but I have noticed it is when I am feeling slightly down (this dull weather is not helping!) I know it is super hard to be positive when you feel so gross! However the more you let it get to you the worse it will get! Just try sticking to a strict clean diet for a couple of weeks and see if it helps :)

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 22.45 by LC

How badly do you get it? I have had a bad day today as the itch is so unbearable on my hands and arms. I am dreading people asking me what it is as normally it's covered but it's on my hands so noticeable. Am getting married in Aug and can't imagine going down the aisle like this.

Posted Fri 27 Apr 2018 08.10 by SMS

I get it all over but now it is mainly my stomach back and scalp. However over the last year when it flares up it is starting to come out on my face as well 😫 which i can cover with makeup by its horrible ! I’ve been eating chilli every day this week so think this could be a cause of the flare up. I’m going to cut it out my diet and see what happens. I have been doing a lot of research recently about how psoriasis is caused and even trying different things myself. I used to think it was just hereditary as my parents have it, but now I’m sure it is from the gut. Like I said in my last post go to a strict diet - mainly fruit and vegetables, find a good gut cleanse to do (I am going to start one this weekend so if it is good I will post about it) and be POSITIVE!!! The more you feel down the worse it will get!

Posted Fri 27 Apr 2018 11.03 by LC

I will try the diet thanks. Have Drs today but do not hold much hope as none of them understand this condition. Looked at private appt but it's £270 for 20 min consultation!!! Do oral medications work? My Dr also won't give anti biotics to me again as say throat looks clear.

Posted Fri 27 Apr 2018 11.07 by rach_1984

Hi, thanks so much for everyone’s comments. After reading your comments about diet, I’ve just ordered a book from Amazon by Hannah Siltoe called Radiant - Eat Your Way to Healthy Skin. She was also a psoriasis sufferer who had exhausted all treatment options other than changing her diet. It’s got good reviews. It arrives tomorrow so will let you know what it’s like. X

Posted Fri 27 Apr 2018 15.25 by SMS

Her book is really good I got it but got bored of juicing food haha! But it’s teally interesting. I normally use a steroid cream on my skin and scalp but which helps but I don’t like using them. Have also had steroids too which clears it up but then after a few weeks it tends to come back a lot worse!

Posted Fri 27 Apr 2018 17.23 by lynno

@LC try again on the FB group if you want. It should work!

To take part, sign in or register with us