Newbie and looking for experiences of DMARDS

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 11.43 by Cuzza

Hello all, I'm new to the forum but unfortunately not to the condition. I've had stiff/painful joints and fatigue for many years, but only in the last few months I was made aware of PsA by a particularly good GP, who noticed a history of Psoriasis in my family. I'm fairly active and like to cycle, which helps keep the progress at bay or at least slows it down I think. I have negative Rheumatoid factor and the affected joints are my hips, lower back, shoulders and neck. The worst (and only visually apparent) joints are in my right hand, which are now constantly swollen and stiff. Generally I get pain and stiffness if I'm in a particular position for more than a few minutes, where muscles/joints are strained. Staying active is harder now because I have to put more effort in for the same level of exercise. I don't have any issues with my skin, other than having to moisturise regularly in certain places. Up until now I've really struggled to get anyone to take the symptoms seriously, even after several trips to Rheumatology. They are used to seeing people where the disease is much more severe, and I can see how I wouldn't be a priority. But these symptoms are significant to me, and the research suggests that early treatment leads to much better outcomes. I can't help but feel like I'm not expressing myself clearly, or that regardless of how I describe my symptoms to the consultant, nothing will be done until it gets to the point where a lot of visible inflammation is evident. This seems to me to be a very reactive approach and I want to explore options for prevention. I'm aware however that I don't have any experience of the effectiveness and side effects of DMARDS. Does anyone have any experience of this, especially if they've been prescribed early in order to prevent progress of the disease rather than when it's become very evident that something needs to be done? I hope all of this makes sense, and would really appreciate any experience that is out there!

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 22.50 by Josette

I had a similar experience with doctors. Despite having severely pitted fingernails and toenails and joint pains in knees, neck, lower back, wrists and feet I am not taken seriously because my psoriasis is not severe on my skin. My symptoms are seen as mild but affects every aspect of my life and has life changing aspects in everything I enjoy hence no pleasure in life at all. I can't help with efficiency of new drugs because I've not been offered any but I think it's time that the the medical profession recognised the misery that PsA causes

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 19.59 by new to it

I must be lucky , then ; bec in my case it seems *I* was the one not taking seriously my symptoms; and it was the doc that made undergo several blood tests and x-rays until he reached the conclusion that indeed this is psoriatic arthritis; if it were just for me i would probably keep suffering from severe joint pain and think it is due to ^doing too much^and suffering from severe itching and thining this is just sensitivity to heat ..... when i hesitatwed about methoitrexate he said Ç i have eben a doctor long enough to remember how people looked like when there was no meds; please take the med so we can stop the inflammation and prevent joint damage; i am grateful! am now awaiting the "ok" for biologic meds;

To take part, sign in or register with us