uvb treatment for guttate psoriasis

Posted Thu 26 Apr 2018 22.08 by souxies

Hi all, Im new to the forum but not new to GP! I have tried various things over the years but after a bad come down off dovabet and just using diprobase and the odd tanning salon sunbed ive only had a few spots here and there for a few years. However 2 weeks ago I had the worst sore throat ever and was ill for over a week, A week later my GP has errupted with a vengence, It is awful ☹️ thousands of tiny red itchy spots everywhere. I go on holiday in 4 weeks and In desperation I have ordered a uvb treatment bed, this is the same as the one used in hospitals and it is quite pricey so I am hoping anyone with guttate can let me know how it has worked for them? just guttate please

Posted Fri 27 Apr 2018 14.36 by Metarie1985
Beauty standard ignorer, unapologetic P sufferer for 10 years, determined to stay positive!

Aww no! Sounds like you got a dose of strep throat - it's a huge trigger for guttate :( If you think it's happening again get to a GP and ask for antibiotics ASAP, it should help slow it down. I had a bad flare up last year (only my second bad one in 10 years). Firstly - you will not see results in 4 weeks. If you're trying to get clear for your holiday, return the sun bed, get a derm appointment and save your money. I had UVB for the second time last summer and didn't see results until I'd been in there for about 2 months. The derm nurses started me in there at about 11 seconds and I progressed up to 4 minutes over the course of the summer (going up in about 5 second increments, 3 times a week) - about 4 months of treatment in all. You will not see any changes until you've worked up to being in the sunbed for at least 1 minute and even then it will be slow going. Your legs will take longer to clear because the strength of the bulbs is weaker at the bottom of the tube. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but personally I would stick to getting UVB from trained professionals who will monitor your skin. You can easily burn yourself and that will make your skin worse. Plus UVB treatment does still increase your risk of skin cancer. Don't let your skin stop you from having a great holiday though! Get out there and enjoy the sun and wind on your skin, there's freedom in being away from home and not knowing everyone, who cares what they think when you have the patches showing. Holidays are about the experience, you can still have an amazing time! Last year I went to Spain for a week during a bad flare up, and a huge festival in Belgium and had the best time, even met a wonderful Belgian boy and had a fun fling, mid flare up! Live your life, flakes or no.

Posted Fri 27 Apr 2018 15.38 by souxies

Hi, Thank you so much for the reply, I have read of a few people clearing in 4 weeks but I know i may not. I am using Dovonex, exorex, Diprobase, tanning beds and sunlight when I can and I have seen some improvement so I am hoping the uvb will just assist. I intend to be very careful and I have quite dark skin anyway as my grandfather was indian. Im going to try it as I hope it will help in the future also and Im totally sick of living with this ☹️

Posted Fri 27 Apr 2018 17.15 by lynno (edited Fri 27 Apr 2018 17.16 by lynno)

@souxies I have been in phototherapy (UVB) treatments three times a week for about 3 weeks now. I am up to 2 minutes in the booth. I have a full case of guttate all over. The light treatment is already making a difference after 3 weeks. I have before and after pictures of my legs in our facebook group we just created this week if you are interested in checking it out. https://www.facebook.com/groups/375000316315644/ I also heard commercial tanning beds are not great, but I don't have experience with anything else. I think the fact that I go to the derms office to medically tan is much more regulated. I also go to the beach the alternate days when I can. Like I said in three weeks vast improvement.

Posted Sat 28 Apr 2018 17.54 by peterradford

i had guttate psoriais a few years ago and had it on my knees and elbows for some years. Luckily with high dose vit D ...cod liver oil and a narrow band sunbed ...i am now clear. Maybe just luck but i bought a narrow band Philips medical sunbed and it did ease and clear my GP... i was told i needed three to four minutes every day at the hospital but my job made that impossible. I paid £1400 for the sunbed ...but used it only for a month ...i would be happy to seel this bed in perfect condition for £500 ...can be used horizontal or vertical ... i dont know if it is allowed to sell these on here so apologies if not ...but someone else should have the benefit of this sunbed and i can give contact details and send pics if anyone knows of anyone?? regards everyone

Posted Sat 28 Apr 2018 17.55 by peterradford

uvb treatment doesnt do much ...you need the narrow band light spectrum from medical sunbeds

Posted Sun 29 Apr 2018 00.29 by souxies

Sorry I didnt make it clear that it is the narrowband uvb phillips unit I am purchasing. The same as is used when you are treated in hospital. If the small amount of uvb given off by sunlight helps then I think any uvb does. However the narrowband is more effect as it is using the exact frequency that helps with psoriosis so the treatment is stronger than just sunlight.

Posted Mon 30 Apr 2018 23.09 by Shaz

Please don’t use sunbeds, after suffering with psoriasis for the last 38 years I decided to use sunbeds every now and then when my psoriasis got bad. I now have stage 2 Malignant Melanoma and life is so uncertain, Melanoma is a killer and on the increase, especially amongst us psoriasis sufferers 😒

Posted Tue 1 Jan 2019 20.38 by Matty79

Peter, Do you still have it for sale? Thank you.

To take part, sign in or register with us