Oilatum Emollient

Posted Fri 27 Apr 2018 13.15 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I used regular Oilatum 40 years ago when I had my first outbreak of plaque psoriasis all over my body, and it helped the itching and general scaliness. Just recently I have an outbreak of guttate psoriasis. Yesterday evening my back and body were itching like crazy, and driving me mad. I took a deep bath and soaked for about 15 minutes in a 3 capfuls of "regular" Oilatum in a blue bottle, and 6 capfuls of "Oilatum PLUS" from a white bottle. The itching all calmed down and I was able to get a good night's sleep. Even this morning, my lower back (the only part I can reach) feels noticably smoother than yesterday and the itching is very much reduced. As well as light liquid paraffin, which is what constitutes Oilatum, Oilatum Plus contains triclosan and bezalkonium chloride. They add antibacterial and antiseptic properties. I would imagine that could be beneficial if your plaque or gutatte psoriasis is raw or bleeding. According to what I have read on t'internet, Triclosan was banned (by the EU and US FDA) in 2017 from many general cleansing products such as soaps and toothpastes because of concerns about contributing to antibiotic resistance. Bezalkonium chloride is also in some shampoos such as Dermax. I saw a reference online that said it was also in Alpecin although not listed in the published ingredients. If using oilatum, be aware that it can make the bath quite slippery. Be careful as you stand up. I have one of those daily sprays used immediately after a shower, and I give the bath a quick squirt around after each bath, and it makes it easy to clean when I am ready to. Both versions of Oilatum are available on Amazon UK, I think that standard Oilatum is widely available, Oilatum Plus less so. I did contact GSK the manufacturer, and Oilatum Plus is still produced by them.

To take part, sign in or register with us