Scalp phoriasis

Posted Sat 26 May 2018 15.48 by Avesty

At the moment I still have psoriasis on my torso, however other than slight redness my scalp is completely clear, and I'm happy to say my hair has now grown back. This is definitely due to the medications I'm on, however i genuinely think that the coconut oil went a long way to helping my scalp heal. Now that my hair has grown back its thicker and healthier than before, so it definitely will get better. I hope things get better for you soon, and don't give up!

2 Posted Mon 28 May 2018 03.39 by January

My tips for healing, and it goes fast and my scalp was covered all the way in to my ears...! I still can get some "monsters" in my scalp when/if I get sick or get a cold, but they will never break out.( I think my immune system is much better after this diet) Go free from this stuff as much as you can: Red Meat Meat Fish Chicken Eggs Sugar Wheat/Gluten "Nightshadow" Fruits/Vegetables Dairy from Animals Try to get as Vegan as you can, AND you will see your body healing ! And use products without any strange chemicals, or perfume get one with good pH( myself I only use really good quality coconut-oil as hair mask and for my body) Alepo soap is also something to try* Good Luck!

Posted Mon 28 May 2018 16.23 by Bumblebee

Hi Avesta Thanks for the advice and sharing your experience. I have now ordered coconut oil and received it today, I have been dairy free for some time now and I eat very little meat anyway. I have decided that I am following a diet to reduce inflammation in the body but am not going to eliminate nightshade veg as well. The acitretin caused an explosion of psoriasis on my legs and body just after I started on it and there are no signs of it healing. The condition is terrible and I am horrified that I never knew anything about it or how so many people suffer so much. After lots of reading I am feeling more optimistic that I can use food and supplements to help my body to heal and reduce reliance on medications.

Posted Mon 28 May 2018 18.41 by Bumblebee

Hi January Thanks for your helpful advice. My scalp psoriasis also covered my entire scalp and top of my forehead and ears inside and out. I have finalk6 understood that this psoriasis has been with me for som3 years but I did not know what it was until it affected my scalp and became severe. I am grateful for your advice. Good luck in staying well.

Posted Mon 28 May 2018 19.36 by Margaret W

Hi everyone, after reading about the coconut oil I bought some yesterday and went to bed with it on overnight. My scalp has been far less itchy today and the plaques are much softer and lifting off. My hair is still coming out though. I have not used any of the prescribed medications today and will try and do without until I see the consultant this Wednesday. I find they are so harsh and dry out the scalp and hair. Will let you know how Wednesday goes

Posted Thu 31 May 2018 16.57 by Jean B

Thanks everyone for this useful discussion! I aim to try coconut oil on my scalp too. Just a warning though: I tried coconut oil on my face for the psoriasis there. I put it around my eyes (as there was psoriasis there) and it got into one of my eyes overnight. I developed an infection in that eye.

Posted Thu 31 May 2018 17.32 by Bumblebee

Coconut oil did not work for me but great results achieved overnight on arms and legs using Forever Aloe Vera Jelly followed by Forever Bee Propropils Cream. I am suffering terrible insomnia right now due to treatment and did not leave coconut oil in overnight so may not be a fair assessment.

Posted Thu 31 May 2018 18.03 by Margaret W

I have used coconut oil for two nights leaving it on overnight. Very good results and a lot of the plaques have gone. I saw a consultant dermatologist yesterday and she confirmed that I have scalp phoriasis. She has prescribed a treatment to put on every night for a week and also a special shampoo to wash it off. I can't give you the name yet as prescription not ready. In the meantime I will continue with coconut oil.

Posted Fri 1 Jun 2018 14.28 by beebo

Just new to this site so excuse if any mistakes. I have scalp psoriasis also and like a few others, dying my hair seems to bring some relief but now im trying baby shampoo for cradle cap...sounds weird but my scalp doesnt seem to itch as much. I hate putting oils and lotions on overnight as im in a kinda new relationship so it feels embarrassing...i do it occasionally tho. Its the picking im having a problem with...i suffer from anxiety so you can imagine the state of my scalp! My body isnt too bad at the moment as im using 'Childs Farm' sensitive baby moisturiser (from supermarkets and boots) and its all but cleared up. I have tried their shampoo but not much success so thought id work through the baby isle as ive had every prescription and non have worked. Ideally id love to shave all my hair off and slather my scalp with whatever i can get to keep it at bay...not really feesable tho. Ive had this condition since school..im well into my 50s now and although there have been time that its dissapeared itz never lasted long. Not sure if the menopause has caused this massive flare up as i cant seem to control the rate of which it is spreading over my scalp so along with every baby product i can use im going to start taking vitamin D suppliment. I do eat a healthy diet and exercise so we will wait and see what the results are. Just wish there was a magic cure.

Posted Mon 4 Jun 2018 17.40 by SS1980

Bumblebee - have you tried Enstilar foam? I’m having great results with it

Posted Mon 4 Jun 2018 18.38 by Margaret W

Is this on prescription?

Posted Mon 4 Jun 2018 19.07 by SS1980

Yes, in the UK anyway.

Posted Tue 5 Jun 2018 07.40 by beebo

Thanks for that...il give it a go. X

Posted Tue 5 Jun 2018 09.52 by Bumblebee

Hi SS1980 Thanks for this tip, I’ll give it a go.

Posted Tue 5 Jun 2018 22.52 by TraceyM

DiproSalic Scalp Application is worth a try, it’s amazing and stopped the itching. You can only get it from the GP

Posted Wed 13 Jun 2018 03.21 by Debra B

How does the plaques lift off? I end up picking them off & my Dr said that makes it worse. How do they just come off on their own?. Debra

Posted Thu 14 Jun 2018 02.50 by Debra B

I also have it on my scalp. Not anywhere on my body. But it is awful. I am looking for help constantly. Medication makes my hair so so so greasy. It’s embarr. But this medication work better than most

Posted Thu 14 Jun 2018 07.48 by Dor2018

I also have had scalp psoriasis for years. About ten years ago it got really bad - completely covered in scales and hair falling out. I was told I had a special type of psoriasis called tinea amiantacea - apparently quite rare but is actually linked with bacterial / fungal infection and needs to be treated differently so may be worth asking your derm about it if the symptoms fit - https://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/pityriasis-amiantacea/ I used cocois ointment in my hair overnight to loosen the scales then an antibacterial shampoo called Ceanel which cleared it up brilliantly and kept things at bay, Unfortunately the shampoo has recently gone out of stock though and it's starting to get worse again - has anyone else been diagnosed with this condition and anyone who was using Ceanel know of an alternative anti microbial/anti fungal shampoo? Having googled it there are lots of shampoos out there for dogs/cats but not for humans!

Posted Thu 14 Jun 2018 12.45 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I emailed the manufacturers of Ceanal yesterday and received a prompt reply. They tell me that they are having a problem to source some of the ingredients that go into Ceanal, so it is temporarily out-of-production. They do not know when they will be able to resume production, but it does not seem that it is permanently discontinued. I hjave never used it myself, but I was interested to try it. With regards to an alternative with any similar properties, perhaps your local Pharmacist can advise - perhaps the pharmacist who used to dispense your Ceanal? There is a shampoo called Dermax, that contains benzalkonium chloride, which is anti-microbial, but not anti-fungal. Nizoral is anti-fungal. Cetrimide is one of the ingredients of Ceanal - and there is a Cetrimide shampoo available. I see that the other main ingredient of Ceanal is undecenoic acid - I cannot think or discover where, but I have definitley seen that on the ingredient list of another preparation somewhere.

Posted Thu 14 Jun 2018 14.10 by Dor2018

Thanks for your very helpful reply - I have ordered some dermax and will see how I get on. I tried to find centrimide shampoo too but it didn't seem to be for sale in the uk unfortunately (unless you've seen it?). I have asked the derm and pharmacy advice and they said there is no alternative to Ceanel apart from capasal (tar based) which is frustrating and I'm hoping it will be back in production asap.

To take part, sign in or register with us